Hammock hires Agpalsa, Gigli

swingman

Reaction score
Thomas Hammock has added two former Brewster-era Gopher grad assistants/quality control guys to Northern Illinois staff.

Daryl Agpalsa was most recently O-line coach at Buffalo. (Scott Fuchs will leave Bohl at Wyoming to join Leipold).

Jordan Gigli will be a defensive coach for Hammock...most recently working with d-line for the Sioux.

Not sure if I should root or boo him as he progresses along. When he went to the east he lost me after telling Kill he wanted to stay on.

Worked on this staff, Hammock is an absolutely awesome hire for Northern Illinois. Daryl and Jordan are great gets for the staff.

No one should fault Hammock for going to Wisconsin, and proof is that it lead to him getting his dream job.

268x0w.jpg

Not sure if I should root or boo him as he progresses along. When he went to the east he lost me after telling Kill he wanted to stay on.

No inside information whatsoever, but it seems clear that Kill asked him to stay on until recruits had signed and was fine with him leaving after, as evidenced by him leaving ~2 weeks after National Signing Day.

No inside information whatsoever, but it seems clear that Kill asked him to stay on until recruits had signed and was fine with him leaving after, as evidenced by him leaving ~2 weeks after National Signing Day.

My memory is a little fuzzy on this. However I could have sworn that he was crawling to Kill to tell him he was leaving to go to Wisconsin. He was pleased that Kill was very good about it and appreciated it. Furthermore, Kill was only a 3 week Gopher Coach at this time and I don't think he wanted to create more of a rift that already existed within the program as to the players.

You could be right, or I could be right. At this point I really don't know 100% but Hammock just kind of ruffled a feather with me when he left.

also hired Tony Sorrentino, another young coach from Brewster era...he was a Jedd Fisch guy

My memory is a little fuzzy on this. However I could have sworn that he was crawling to Kill to tell him he was leaving to go to Wisconsin. He was pleased that Kill was very good about it and appreciated it. Furthermore, Kill was only a 3 week Gopher Coach at this time and I don't think he wanted to create more of a rift that already existed within the program as to the players.

You could be right, or I could be right. At this point I really don't know 100% but Hammock just kind of ruffled a feather with me when he left.

DPO - that seems to be opposite of what you thought at the time. I seem to recall you being incredibly upset about it, assuming I'm remembering right (which is a bold assumption!).

I agree with your statement above, though. I think it was the same as when they had Sherels and O'Brien stick around when Claeys was fired. I don't believe there was ever any intention of having them stay on, they were just there to keep a link to the recruits.

I know Kill came out and made some statements about loyalty, but I felt like he was saying that to deflect criticism about "letting" Hammock go to Wisco rather than the fact he left.

Thomas Hammock has added two former Brewster-era Gopher grad assistants/quality control guys to Northern Illinois staff.

Daryl Agpalsa was most recently O-line coach at Buffalo. (Scott Fuchs will leave Bohl at Wyoming to join Leipold).

Jordan Gigli will be a defensive coach for Hammock...most recently working with d-line for the Sioux.

I don't know why, but apparently Fuchs was let go at Wyoming, first. Maybe they had some bad OL play this past season.

Makes me wonder if Bohl is losing his grip a little bit out there. Just can't sit well with him how he was passed up by Klieman for the P5 job at K-State. And Wyoming is a tough spot to get over the hump against Boise St, et al in the Mountain West. Always seems like at least one of Utah St, Colorado St, or Air Force is really tough, along with Boise, in a given year. Then the Pacific teams also have some tough ones.

Last edited:

Top Bottom