***OFFICIAL ILLINOIS AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Nope. An 11 point win is as good as a 30 point win. But a 9 point win is a sin. The guy who came up with this is a genius.

Was just gunna say the same. Would’ve been such garbage if the meaningless 3 at the end cost us so was glad when Pree got the bucket

I've never seen a player go away from what makes him successful so regularly. He'd be a nightmare to coach.

Decent first half, then he gets some confidence and dribbles to much, won't pass and takes tereible shots. Yikes.

Nope. An 11 point win is as good as a 30 point win. But a 9 point win is a sin. The guy who came up with this is a genius.

If the NET takes into account efficiency ratings ,this can't possibly be true.

I like that the commentators made it a point to mention how ridiculous the NET rankings are as well.

I wonder if Cory Provous breaks down the Twins using an opener with similar derision?

16 - 5!!! If you would have told me we would be 16-5 at the end of January.....I would say HELL YES!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nice win by the Gophers! I'm thankful that they might be finished playing against Illinois this year. They seem to bring out the best in Frazier, and the fact that it took them about 70 minutes to figure out how to beat Illinois makes me think they are not a good matchup for the Gophers.

Well played game by the Gophs. Frazier was crazy hot otherwise it would have been even better. Good all around victory against a team that is tough for us match up wise.

Was just gunna say the same. Would’ve been such garbage if the meaningless 3 at the end cost us so was glad when Pree got the bucket

Exactly. If your going to factor this in, the 10 point cutoff is a terrible idea. There needs to be a weighted system where 9 points vs. 11 pts aren't considered drasticly different.

That’s not true. Every single possession regardless of score factors into offensive and defensive efficiency ratings.

Margin of victory factor is capped at 10. But when you win by 11 they don’t eliminate possessions from effiency measurements.

Great game plan tonight out of the gate. We really exposed them overplaying the handoff and got some easy buckets on those back door cuts.

It made their defense open up a little bit and IW picked them apart. Great game plan and execution.

Nice win by the Gophers! I'm thankful that they might be finished playing against Illinois this year. They seem to bring out the best in Frazier, and the fact that it took them about 70 minutes to figure out how to beat Illinois makes me think they are not a good matchup for the Gophers.

We get caught playing their game (fast paced and helter skelter) too often and we don't have as many great athletes as them.

True I guess. As far as margin of victory it doesn't matter. The whole thing is a joke.

Yeah I think we were talking about two different things. If it is gonna come down to this, then you can't really even afford to let your backups throw around some ally oops in a 30 point game because it will affect the offensive efficiency. I keep thinking I must be wrong that the NCAA should endorse a ranking that says it is in your best interest to keeping hammering Morgan State even if you are up by 70. But from everything I can find that seems to be the truth.

Yeah I think we were talking about two different things. If it is gonna come down to this, then you can't really even afford to let your backups throw around some ally oops in a 30 point game because it will affect the offensive efficiency. I keep thinking I must be wrong that the NCAA should endorse a ranking that says it is in your best interest to keeping hammering Morgan State even if you are up by 70. But from everything I can find that seems to be the truth.

Yeah. Part of our low ranking is that we didn't hammer some of our non-conference cupcakes, even though we were never in danger of losing any of those games.

Well, this is the first year. Maybe there will be enough complaints that they'll chuck it.

That’s what they endorsed.

You have to count that possession against Morgan state up 79 the same as that possession against Michigan down 1 with 45 seconds to play.

Both of those two possessions tell you equal amounts about the quality of a team.

I have been critical of IW but tonite I was very happy that Pitino left in the game to the end. He was very important in this win

5 players in double figures (and McBrayer just missed with 9). Almost 77% free throw shooting. An 11 point win to a team that killed us previously. And, even Hurt got an exciting bucket. What more can you ask for?

Well, this is the first year. Maybe there will be enough complaints that they'll chuck it.

Perhaps, but hope it doesn't cost us a trip to the dance before they realize it was flawed.....

Our offense looks so much better these past couple weeks. Cutting, passing has been great (no Globetrotter weave at the top of the key and heaving up a desperate shot at the buzzer).

I have been critical of IW but tonite I was very happy that Pitino left in the game to the end. He was very important in this win

Indeed. He's capable of running the point at various speeds and him doing that frees Coffey up to score and freelance.

Really nice response to being down 5 in the second half. Isaiah hit a big 3 out of the timeout, then made a sweet no look pass to Murphy for a dunk. Those two plays sandwiched a Gabe 3 and it didn't really feel like the Gophers looked back from that point on. Was impressed with the Barn crowd giving Isaiah a nice ovation when he came out for a blow later in the half.

I see people talking about the NET rankings and I agree with most of the sentiments. I don't know what Underwood was doing late it the game and they just announced that he won't be at the press conference after the game on BTN. That game was over and Minnesota was perfectly content just whittling down the shot clock every possession from about the 5 minute mark on. Illinois just refused to let us do that and there was just a parade of whistles on both sides. Someone could get hurt in a game that was already over trying to lose by less than 10 or prevent a team from winning by 10. The other issue is that this should have been a game where guys like Jarvis and Michael and Matz should have been on the floor at the end with possibly Rudrud and Conroy. Depriving the deep bench/walk ons from playing time is a ridiculous consequence to the emphasis on efficiency and winning margin. It's also a bad product for the fans both in the arena and watching on TV. There was no reason for the last 5 minutes or so of that game to take 30 minutes (or whatever it was) in real time.

This team seems to be finding a new level on the offensive end. The top 7 of this team is pretty strong, I'd love to have just one more guy capable of playing somewhere between the 1-3.

5 players in double figures (and McBrayer just missed with 9). Almost 77% free throw shooting. An 11 point win to a team that killed us previously. And, even Hurt got an exciting bucket. What more can you ask for?
Matthew Hurt signing to attend UMN. [emoji848][emoji57]

I watch that game tonight and see what the offense can look like when IW is at his best and it is exciting. I also see a Curry that keeps getting healthier and I see a big guy that steps out as far as the 3 point line and hits shots, but also battle underneath when his knee is completely healthy. I want to see it in at least two road games the rest of the conference season and then I might start to think we are a tourney team that can win a game or two in the NCAA.

I see people talking about the NET rankings and I agree with most of the sentiments. I don't know what Underwood was doing late it the game and they just announced that he won't be at the press conference after the game on BTN. That game was over and Minnesota was perfectly content just whittling down the shot clock every possession from about the 5 minute mark on. Illinois just refused to let us do that and there was just a parade of whistles on both sides. Someone could get hurt in a game that was already over trying to lose by less than 10 or prevent a team from winning by 10. The other issue is that this should have been a game where guys like Jarvis and Michael and Matz should have been on the floor at the end with possibly Rudrud and Conroy. Depriving the deep bench/walk ons from playing time is a ridiculous consequence to the emphasis on efficiency and winning margin. It's also a bad product for the fans both in the arena and watching on TV. There was no reason for the last 5 minutes or so of that game to take 30 minutes (or whatever it was) in real time.

Could not have said it better

I love Gabe, but he’s got some flop to his game that we’d rip him for if he played for someone else

This is an hour late but I agree with this. Tonight, I just laughed but upon watching the replay Frazier (or whoever) stepped on his foot and Gabe fell over so I think this was legit but should have been a no call.

Great interview on BTN with Pitino right now. Talked about the NET and how it changes how they coach the end of a game.
Wasn't sure how much emphasis that scoring efficiency and scoring margin had on the rating and what impact that would have on a tournament team. Said it affected sub patterns at end of game.

Really nice response to being down 5 in the second half. Isaiah hit a big 3 out of the timeout, then made a sweet no look pass to Murphy for a dunk. Those two plays sandwiched a Gabe 3 and it didn't really feel like the Gophers looked back from that point on. Was impressed with the Barn crowd giving Isaiah a nice ovation when he came out for a blow later in the half.

This team seems to be finding a new level on the offensive end. The top 7 of this team is pretty strong, I'd love to have just one more guy capable of playing somewhere between the 1-3.

We have Marcus Ca

Top Bottom