P. J. Fleck and Seth Green

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I think Fleck and his staff did an exceptional job finding creative ways to get Seth Green on the field, in a way that paid real dividends for this team.

Seth also deserves credit for staying at the U and embracing a new role and becoming a major contributor.

This wasn't just window dressing. Seth playing in the wildcat was a big factor in the Gophers success this season.

I'm sure other players have noticed how this situation was handled. If I'm a player who might be on the bench and having doubts about my future as a Gopher, seeing Seth do the things he has done and watching how Fleck and Ciarrocca coached him and found a way to utilize his talents would give me hope.

I think we'll see Ciarrocca dial up even more dynamic ways to exploit opponent's defenses with Seth at wildcat this coming season.

Good post. I think we will see Seth get his fair share of catches this year as well. He was learning the WR position last year but has lots of natural ability.

Yeah, and I think they will find more and different ways to get him involved in the offense. Just still miffed that they did not figure this out in 2017.

He obviously has more going on but he reminds me of Leroy Hoard in a way. If you need 3 yards you can dial up Seth and the OL and they're gonna get you 3 yards. If you need 5 yards... Seth and the OL and they're gonna get you 3 yards ;)

They were just that sure thing that I think helped break the backs / will of some defenses that just couldn't adapt.

It was nice to see Ciarrocca put together a tool like that and be super effective.

Yeah, I'm a big Seth Green fan. Happy for him. Had to really be frustrating, but he has persevered. Says a lot about his inner strength.

I think Fleck and his staff did an exceptional job finding creative ways to get Seth Green on the field, in a way that paid real dividends for this team.

Seth also deserves credit for staying at the U and embracing a new role and becoming a major contributor.

This wasn't just window dressing. Seth playing in the wildcat was a big factor in the Gophers success this season.

I'm sure other players have noticed how this situation was handled. If I'm a player who might be on the bench and having doubts about my future as a Gopher, seeing Seth do the things he has done and watching how Fleck and Ciarrocca coached him and found a way to utilize his talents would give me hope.

I think we'll see Ciarrocca dial up even more dynamic ways to exploit opponent's defenses with Seth at wildcat this coming season.

Completely agree. Good post.

Go Gophers!!

Good post. I think we will see Seth get his fair share of catches this year as well. He was learning the WR position last year but has lots of natural ability.

Yes, he has the talent. The only question is: with our excellent running game, and our depth of talent at WR... well, we only have one football! It will be hard to get him touches as a receiver, too.

That's another reason the wildcat thing is so brilliant. It gets an outstanding athlete on the field, with the ball in his hands.

I know I wouldn't want to tackle him.

Yes, he has the talent. The only question is: with our excellent running game, and our depth of talent at WR... well, we only have one football! It will be hard to get him touches as a receiver, too.

That's another reason the wildcat thing is so brilliant. It gets an outstanding athlete on the field, with the ball in his hands.

I know I wouldn't want to tackle him.

I forget what game it was, he squashed some poor dude in / near the end zone.

Yeah, and I think they will find more and different ways to get him involved in the offense. Just still miffed that they did not figure this out in 2017.

No kidding. I'm pissed about this every day, and that Claeys didn't find a way to use him in 2016.

I hope we see some more trick plays/different looks. Tyler Johnson throwing passes to Seth Green who throws it back to AJ Barker. Stuff like that.

I like Green. I think it was overused sometimes but overall was really effective

I hope we see some more trick plays/different looks. Tyler Johnson throwing passes to Seth Green who throws it back to AJ Barker. Stuff like that.

I like Green. I think it was overused sometimes but overall was really effective

And then back to TJ and back to Green....

My one qualm as well. There were some times where we'd actually get an ok drive going, maybe put 3-4 plays together from our own 20 or something, and then bring in Seth on a 1st and 10 around our own 45/50 and it just didn't make a lot of sense and seemed to slow down our momentum as well.

I like it in short yardage and the red zone. I get the nuances of why they did it, I just think that with Shannon and Rodney (theoretically) back at full strength along with Mo, we won't have to resort to that in such odd spots on the field anymore.

My one qualm as well. There were some times where we'd actually get an ok drive going, maybe put 3-4 plays together from our own 20 or something, and then bring in Seth on a 1st and 10 around our own 45/50 and it just didn't make a lot of sense and seemed to slow down our momentum as well.

I like it in short yardage and the red zone. I get the nuances of why they did it, I just think that with Shannon and Rodney (theoretically) back at full strength along with Mo, we won't have to resort to that in such odd spots on the field anymore.

I see what you're saying. My perception was kind of the opposite though. Obviously, the wildcat wasn't effective 100% of the time, but then nothing is.

My clearest recollection (maybe because it was the most recent) was during the Georgia Tech game.

The situation was just as you describe: Gophers get a first down near midfield. Green comes in to run the wildcat. The TV color guy says, "They do this to get ahead of the chains." Green ran for a gain of about 5 yards, bringing up second and 5.

"Just like that", says color guy (or words to that effect).

No kidding. I'm pissed about this every day, and that Claeys didn't find a way to use him in 2016.

Would have never worked without much better starting QB play, which we got in 2018. Without that better play, people would be bitching about “those stupid Seth Green plays”.

Tyler Johnson throwing passes to Seth Green who throws it back to AJ Barker.

I hope not. Any pass to AJ Barker would be out of bounds.

Last edited:

I am all for creative offense that put the best athletes on the field where they can make a difference instead of sitting on the bench.

Call it whatever type of offense you want, I like Ciarrocca's creativity.

Keep drives alive by running, walking on all fours, by air, RPO, wildcat I don't care. Give defenses the fits by making it difficult to cover by stretching the field and keep them gasses and guessing wrong.

I see what you're saying. My perception was kind of the opposite though. Obviously, the wildcat wasn't effective 100% of the time, but then nothing is.

My clearest recollection (maybe because it was the most recent) was during the Georgia Tech game.

The situation was just as you describe: Gophers get a first down near midfield. Green comes in to run the wildcat. The TV color guy says, "They do this to get ahead of the chains." Green ran for a gain of about 5 yards, bringing up second and 5.

"Just like that", says color guy (or words to that effect).

Oh, they usually got positive yards out of it, it's not like they would lose yards. I feel like then though that we'd bring Tanner/Zach back in the next play at QB and all of a sudden, the rhythm was gone.

Very pleased with Seth Green’s performance! His attitude and perseverance have been awesome! Looking forward to continued great contributions from him.
I’m in the camp that didn’t think they utilized him enough in some obvious situations he had shown he excelled. Really dependable the entire 2018 season! Just wow for me! He delivered on demand constantly and consistently.

Very pleased with Seth Green’s performance! His attitude and perseverance have been awesome! Looking forward to continued great contributions from him.
I’m in the camp that didn’t think they utilized him enough in some obvious situations he had shown he excelled. Really dependable the entire 2018 season! Just wow for me! He delivered on demand constantly and consistently.

I keep thinking about his twin brothers, 2021 recruits Blaine & Bryson. They are 6' 1" and still growing. Will they follow in Seth's footsteps and come back to the Twin Cities and play for the Gophers?

Last edited:

He obviously has more going on but he reminds me of Leroy Hoard in a way. If you need 3 yards you can dial up Seth and the OL and they're gonna get you 3 yards. If you need 5 yards... Seth and the OL and they're gonna get you 3 yards ;)

They were just that sure thing that I think helped break the backs / will of some defenses that just couldn't adapt.

It was nice to see Ciarrocca put together a tool like that and be super effective.

Trying to remember who said that about Hoard. The new thing with the Yikes is if you need three yards they’ll get 2 yards.

Trying to remember who said that about Hoard. The new thing with the Yikes is if you need three yards they’ll get 2 yards.

Pretty sure he said it about himself LOL

if you need one yard, I'll get you three yards. If you need five yards, I'll get you three yards

Last edited:

Pretty sure he said it about himself LOL

if you need one yard, I'll get you three yards. If you need five yards, I'll get you three yards

Yup, story goes Leroy said it himself. He knew what he could offer... and what he couldn't.

Instantly thought this was a negative thread.....

They try, oh they try. It’s the Minnesota Way.

Green had a great year and was a huge contributor. He was used nearly perfectly. More to come in 2019.

I never have been a fan of the wild cat but the way we used it with Seth last year was perfect. And he executed it well.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I never have been a fan of the wild cat but the way we used it with Seth last year was perfect. And he executed it well.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

YES! Exactly!

If you had told me before the season started that Fleck and Ciarrocca were going to run the wildcat, I would have said, "Please, no! It never works!"

But they actually found a way to make it effective.

YES! Exactly!

If you had told me before the season started that Fleck and Ciarrocca were going to run the wildcat, I would have said, "Please, no! It never works!"

But they actually found a way to make it effective.

Green clearly has made it work. Personally I believe its takes a special player to make this work.

We will see more and more of Green. Both in touches and productivity.

What I love about “The Green Line” is that he always seems to fall forward, thus gaining a few extra yards. Kind of reminds me of watching David Cobb in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom