Glen Mason: Dick Ames passed away last night. No coach has ever had a better friend.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Mason and Ames were super close. The entire team went out to Ames's ranch a couple times for cookouts. Seemed like a very nice guy and was a huge supporter of Gopher Football.

Mr. Ames spent a lot of time here in AZ and his company is a big part of the construction community. Ames is part of the team that is building the new 22-mile long South Mountain Freeway.

One of the big dogs in support of Gopher athletics. He and Harvey McKay are almost as well known here as in Minnesota.

We’ll miss you, Mr. Ames.

Coach Fleck chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

U Mourns Loss of Dick Ames

Dick Ames, who was a longtime and generous supporter of the University of Minnesota and its athletic department, passed away this morning at the age of 89 in Scottsdale, Ariz. Ames Construction, which he founded in 1962, announced the news today.

Ames turned his Minnesota-based company into one that has offices in Minnesota, five other states and does work across North America.

Minnesota will remember Ames with a moment of silence prior to its men's basketball game against Illinois tonight.

Below are statements from Director of Athletics Mark Coyle and head football coach P.J. Fleck.

Statement From Mark Coyle, Director of Athletics
"We are saddened by the passing of Dick Ames, and our thoughts are with his loved ones at this time. He was a great man, who cared deeply about the University of Minnesota and Gopher athletics. He was always willing to give his time and resources for the betterment of our students and was as loyal as they come. He will be greatly missed, but his philanthropic impact on our community will last forever."

Statement from P.J. Fleck, Head Football Coach
"The University of Minnesota lost a great man today with the passing of Dick Ames. He welcomed Heather, myself and our family to Minnesota with open arms and was a tremendous individual and friend. I had the pleasure to get to know him on a personal and professional level and nobody cared more about the Gophers than Dick. He always wanted to know how he could help and wanted nothing more than to see his beloved Gophers succeed. Heather and I will miss his kindness and bright smile, and our thoughts are with his family and friends."

Go Gophers!!

A true Gopher. Didn't realize he was 89 and living in Scottsdale as I would hear his name every now and then you would think he was still at the office and only 70-75 or so (I was clearly way out of touch on that one). Thanks for your support over the years sir!

Chip: Dick Ames was always a friend whenever Gophers athletics was in need

Glen Mason had been on the job as Gophers football coach for only a short time in 1997 when Dick Ames stopped by his office and invited him to take a ride.

Ames drove Mason to a piece of property on top of a hill, offering a beautiful view. Ames said he owned the land but would give it to Mason under one condition.

“He said, ‘All I want to do is get to the Rose Bowl,’ ” Mason said. “He said, ‘If you get me to the Rose Bowl, I’m going to give you this piece of land on top of this hill.’ ”

Mason told Ames that he didn’t need the land. He just wanted Ames to be his friend.

“He looked me in the eye and said, ‘Well, hell, I’m already your friend,’ ” Mason recalled with a laugh.

Friends say that was Dick Ames at his essence: loyal, generous and passionate about Gophers athletics. The longtime booster died Wednesday in Arizona after a short illness at age 89.

Ames was a fixture at Gophers events for decades, especially football and basketball. The founder of Ames Construction donated millions to the university and athletic department. He hosted fundraisers at his home and lent his private plane for school use. He even offered to provide free labor in construction of the new baseball stadium.

If someone needed something, they usually called Ames. And he would come through for them.

“All too often, when people give you a lot of money, they want to tell you how to run your business,” Mason said. “That was not Dick at all. He just wanted to be supportive.”

Ames did plead to see the Gophers play in the Rose Bowl. Usually that plea happened in the first conversation whenever he met a new coach or athletic director.

“The first time I met him, he told me that,” former AD Joel Maturi said. “He said, ‘I want to go to the Rose Bowl.’ ”

He added a twist when he met current football coach P.J. Fleck.

Said Fleck: “He said, ‘I’m getting older now. We need to beat Wisconsin and go to the Rose Bowl. Listen, I’m not telling you what order I want them in, but I’d like them both at some point.’ ”

http://www.startribune.com/dick-ame...ever-gophers-athletics-was-in-need/505108012/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom