STrib: Stain removal: Gophers hope to erase memory of rout at Illinois

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Being ranked in January isn’t a big-picture priority, but Pitino and his players say they want to prove the Illinois catastrophe was a fluke.

“I don’t think there’s a person in that locker room who has forgotten that loss,” senior forward and captain Jordan Murphy said. “Obviously, it stings and wasn’t really a good night for us. We really want this one … and we’re going to do everything we can in our power to get it.”

The Gophers have been a different team in the three games since that last meeting against the Illini (6-14, 2-7).

Minnesota bounced back after that loss with a 65-64 victory against Penn State on Jan. 19. Probably the biggest sign of improvement came three days later when the Gophers outplayed the Wolverines for 30 minutes in Ann Arbor. Even after squandering an eight-point second-half lead, Minnesota used a 10-0 run to tie the score 57-57 on freshman guard Gabe Kalscheur’s three-pointer with 31 seconds left. Charles Matthews’ last-second jumper with the shot clock and game clock expiring, however, resulted in a gut-wrenching two-point loss.

Still, the Gophers regrouped to upset Iowa with arguably their best offensive outing of the season. Even with freshman center Daniel Oturu out because of a shoulder injury, they shot 57 percent from the field and had 25 assists on 32 baskets.

“I think we’re better now than we were back then,” Pitino said. “But I think Illinois is, too.”

http://www.startribune.com/stain-re...out-at-illinois-to-buoy-ncaa-hopes/505059042/

Go Gophers!!

I have no doubt that they will erase the memory!

The Gophs have recovered to 50-ish in most computer rankings, which is better than I expected after the Illinois debacle. I can't help but wonder how much better position they'd be in if it weren't for that horrendous showing.

Was not able to watch the first game vs Illinois but saw the Illini play someone tough during the non conference.
What was the biggest story of this game? Gophers playing slow and Illini getting lots of steals and transition baskets?

Was not able to watch the first game vs Illinois but saw the Illini play someone tough during the non conference.
What was the biggest story of this game? Gophers playing slow and Illini getting lots of steals and transition baskets?

We came out tough, they hit a couple hero 3 pointers early, and instead of responding we got discouraged and folded up our tent. Let their defense bother us and didn't fight at all to get back in transition or to rebound.

We came out tough, they hit a couple hero 3 pointers early, and instead of responding we got discouraged and folded up our tent. Let their defense bother us and didn't fight at all to get back in transition or to rebound.

Thanks. Time for payback

Yes, it was an unpleasant and unexpected skid mark for sure.

I still think Illinois has some talent and aspires to play a style of basketball I really like. I cannot understand why some speak as though it is likely that Brad Underwood is going to get fired sometime soon. He is twice the coach Groce was and will get them back to a good level.

I like Illinois, but I am also surprised Penn State and Rutgers have lost so many games they could have won. All three teams have some pretty athletic and somewhat large active players. Rutgers is proving it right now prior to the Gopher game. 22-0 run

That RAC at Rutgers looks like it could be a very tough place to play in if they ever became a very good team. The seats are at a very steep angle, packed in close to the court.

Last edited:

Top Bottom