Recruiting Rank vs. Wins in the BIG

OK, I see. It is pretty obvious SG17 would have failed, TJ6 wouldn’t have developed, and TC/JS couldn’t have succeeded on D. Pretty obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well- SG17 couldn't beat out Croft or Rhoda. And was moved to WR last off-season despite a roster that only had two freshmen QBs on the roster. Not exactly a ringing endorsement that he would be successful, is it?

No one had TJ6 pegged for greatness after his freshman year, did they? And did the previous staff put a WR in the NFL after 6 seasons? Our other top 3 WRs are Bateman, CAB, and DD. None of them would be here with the old staff. But I bet you'll convince us they would have brought in recruits just as good...

As for d-line, we had Gary Moore.

Well- SG17 couldn't beat out Croft or Rhoda. And was moved to WR last off-season despite a roster that only had two freshmen QBs on the roster. Not exactly a ringing endorsement that he would be successful, is it?

No one had TJ6 pegged for greatness after his freshman year, did they? And did the previous staff put a WR in the NFL after 6 seasons? Our other top 3 WRs are Bateman, CAB, and DD. None of them would be here with the old staff. But I bet you'll convince us they would have brought in recruits just as good...

As for d-line, we had Gary Moore.

1. Well known that SG17 was going to start. He would have beaten out Croft/Rhoda. Different scheme. Could have been successful.

2. I have 1000% more confidence in the current staff than the old when it comes to WR, but TJ6 is a stud. I would not assume he wouldn’t have still blossomed.

According to Stewart Mandel in his college football mailbag in The Athletic yesterday, "recruiting is the most important part" of a successful college football coach and program.

I’m not sure it was most important part of the defensive turnaround the last quarter of the season. Seems situation specific.

- Eight teams in the Big Ten finished with 5-4 or better conference records last season. So we must have finished 9th or worse in the conference. I don't think anyone can argue we finished 8th or better.
- Three teams went 3-6, Nebraska and Minnesota in the West, and Maryland in the East. Nebraska was 4-8 overall, Maryland was 5-7 overall. But we got crushed by both.
- Illinois went 2-7, as did Indiana. Illinois was 4-8 overall, Indiana 5-7 overall. Illinois crushed us, while we beat Indiana in the rainy Friday night game (though our pathetic Robb Smith defense almost gave the game away).
- Rutgers is the unquestioned last place team at 0-9, 1-11.

So .... given the facts above. Did we finish 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, or 13th in the conference??? I would consider it also acceptable to say something like "we tied for ___th place".

Go.

Be serious. Do you understand what a tiebreaker is?

Go.

“Pretty obvious”... IALTO

SG17 would have been the starter. He would have been a good fit style-wise for their scheme. Not for PJ’s. I think it is pretty obvious the talent Seth has. Disaster?

TJ6 would have still been here. Disaster?

DT wasn’t pretty, but a different scheme and a better defensive coaching staff. Disaster?

It’s obvious: no PJ - disaster.

I certainly wasn’t content with where the team was under Kill but the incremental improvements were building and the team was consistently competitive. Who knows where Kill’s ceiling was? We have yet to find out where PJ’s is.

It’s obvious: no PJ - disaster.

I certainly wasn’t content with where the team was under Kill but the incremental improvements were building and the team was consistently competitive. Who knows where Kill’s ceiling was? We have yet to find out where PJ’s is.

That sums it up pretty well.

Either Kill or Claeys, I can't remember who, made the comment that they wanted to be in recruiting situations that they could dominate. Hence, their recruiting strategy largely focused on finding the top recruits who didn't have P5 offers that they felt could contribute and they could land without a protracted recruiting battle. It worked okay for them, but we never beat a top 25 team in 6 years. If someone was going to compare the number of P5 offers of Fleck's recruits in the 2018/2019 classes with the Kill/Claeys classes, the disparity would be enormous.

I would never approve of a coach publicly stating that this is going to be his recruiting strategy. This strategy completely lowers the ceiling of what can be achieved.

Rossi too. Did you hear he is >>> Claeys?

6 years of watching Claeys defense fold like a wet blanket against Wisconsin was more than enough. I think all Gopher fans are happy that we now have a d-coordinator who was able to shut them down for an entire game and get the axe back.

<b>I would never approve of a coach publicly stating that this is going to be his recruiting strategy. </b>This strategy completely lowers the ceiling of what can be achieved.

Rest easy. JG took a lot of liberty in his summation of what Kill said. A lot. It is very important to him that people like PJ more and Kill/Claeys less. Not sure why, but it is.

Be serious. Do you understand what a tiebreaker is?

You tell me, did we finish 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, or 13th in the conference?

You can just say whatever the official position of the Big Ten was, that's fine. I just want an answer, doesn't have to be the right answer.

I think all Gopher fans are happy that we now have a d-coordinator who was able to shut them down for an entire game and get the axe back.

2018 Wisconsin offense was the same as 2011-2016 Wisconsin offenses? Honest question.

You tell me, did we finish 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, or 13th in the conference?

You can just say whatever the official position of the Big Ten was, that's fine. I just want an answer, doesn't have to be the right answer.

Eleventh. This isn’t hard.

Dude, relax. I didn't make any argument. I presented the facts and asked the question. Don't shoot me.

OK, 11th works for me. We lost, badly, to Maryland and Nebraska.

When the answer has already been posted and you persist in asking the question...

Top Bottom