MN Daily: Marcus Carr still working hard despite sitting out season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

He wanted to be available to play immediately — so did the rest of his Gopher teammates. Unfortunately for Marcus Carr, he has to wait until next season to make an impact on the court for Minnesota.

While newcomers like freshmen Gabe Kalscheur and Daniel Oturu have made key contributions for Minnesota this year, Carr, one of the Gophers' most exciting young players, won't make his debut for the team until 2019-2020

On Nov. 7, Carr, a transfer from Pittsburgh, received word that the NCAA denied his waiver request to become immediately eligible. Minnesota immediately appealed the decision, which the NCAA denied as well, meaning Carr will have to wait.

"Initially, I was really disappointed," Carr said. "I had a positive mindset going into it, thinking that I would get cleared and be able to play this season, but it didn't end up working out that way."

As soon as the NCAA made its final ruling, Carr's role for the season changed. Instead of potentially starting at point guard, he would have to focus on helping the team in other ways.

"Whenever I can, I'll scout [the opposing] team," Carr said. "Just try to get my teammates the best looks possible of the opponent that's coming up. I watch a lot of film with the coaches as well, so I give my teammates information in practice trying to make sure they're as ready as possible going into each game."

Though Minnesota would prefer to have Carr's abilities on the court, they are still thankful for his dedication to improving the team in practice. While young players such as Kalscheur are excited to have Carr in the rotation next season, they appreciate what he's doing to help the team win now.

"Against Rutgers, Marcus knew [freshman] Geo [Baker]," Kalscheur said. "He knew his moves, so Marcus helped me with what he liked to do. Having Marcus with the experience helped a lot. He brings a lot of intensity."

The Gophers figure to have a strong group of guards next year with Kalscheur, junior Amir Coffey and sophomore Isaiah Washington returning. In addition to Carr, two others will join that group: junior Payton Willis, who is also sitting out the season due to NCAA transfer rules, and Minnesota commit Tre' Williams, a four-star recruit.

"[Carr] as well as Payton, both I think are going to be terrific" Pitino said. "And then you look at Tre' Williams, another four-star, top-100 kid. I think those three guys, plus with who we add in the spring, I think we could get significant contributions from all those guys."

Before that, Carr is staying focused on improving himself. Coming off his freshman year at Pitt, where he averaged 10.0 points per game, Carr knows he can work to be even better next fall.

"[I'm] just watching a lot of film of myself last year," Carr said. "[I'm] trying to focus on the weaknesses that I have and [am] focusing on strengthening those every day in practice."

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2019/01/s-marcus-carr-still-working-hard-despite-sitting-out-season

Go Gophers!!

I think many fans are really not realizing how good of a pick up this kid was. Coffey, Gabe, Curry, and Oturo will benefit greatly from him next year. I know people dislike Pitinos roster management, but I really think he's done well in the transfer market. Not reliant on it, but uses it well to fill holes.

The backcourt does seem pretty solid going into next season. Need to fortify the frontcourt and would be nice to add a freshman Amir Coffey type player.

The backcourt does seem pretty solid going into next season. Need to fortify the frontcourt and would be nice to add a freshman Amir Coffey type player.

From the front court we lose Murphy and Stockman, correct? 30mpg + 10.5mpg. Not sure where those minutes come from on the current roster. I guess Oturu and Curry can play more (foul trouble willing!) but I agree, we need to recruit a ready-to-go freshman or a transfer (grad or otherwise) who can play right away.

I like Omersa's upside, but I don't know if I love the idea of him playing major minutes next year. I hope he proves me wrong!

FWIW, I don't think the current Hurt on the roster is going to provide valuable minutes next year, and if he, I think we are going to regress.

Carr Gabe Amir Curry Oturu I would assume is the starting lineup next year, which would be pretty solid. Now the big question is how will our depth holdup

Carr Gabe Amir Curry Oturu I would assume is the starting lineup next year, which would be pretty solid. Now the big question is how will our depth holdup

Hopefully solid minutes from Omersa, (Michael) Hurt, and just maybe even IW. Also ciming in is Tre Williams.

But not really anyone to spell Curry or Oturu, well? Guess we're going to go for some transfers and try to get them immediate eligibility? They've learned their lesson on what to put on the waiver application.

Exactly. 3 open scholarships going into the Spring is not good. And the last time we haven't had at least one guy transfer is....? I'm not trying to re-start this debate but I think it's 50/50 that IW will transfer. And if he doesn't it could be Hurt etc. There's a decent chance we will have 4 spots to fill. Yikes.

Exactly. 3 open scholarships going into the Spring is not good. And the last time we haven't had at least one guy transfer is....? I'm not trying to re-start this debate but I think it's 50/50 that IW will transfer. And if he doesn't it could be Hurt etc. There's a decent chance we will have 4 spots to fill. Yikes.

Well they better make sure they get that bribe money into the committee that votes on waivers for immediate eligibility, like most schools do. I guess someone forgot to tell Minnesota that was part of the deal.

We're losing this game

I think Omersa will be ready next year. It appears IW wants to be ready. We just have to see if he will turn that corner. I have hope he will. Tre Williams seems to be improving at a rate that surprises me. Never know about a freshman. I also expect a couple of big surprises in the spring. Not losing. Winning!

We need a 6-8 or taller post player, with some size to come in off the bench. If Omersa can improve he can get minutes but we are awefully short right now.

What info do you have that supports an IW transfer? I hope the basis is not your basketball acumen. We have 10 games left? I will match your transfer idea with my belief there is more than a 50/50 chance IW is the starting PG next year. Pitino has improved a number of players since he has been here. He is tight with IW, and we are seeing improvement in IW's play. Also, IW has referred to his poise or lack of in games, indicating he is aware of where he needs to go. Habits and behaviors are hard to change. The big step is understanding what it is that you need to strive for.

I see it like this:

PG: Carr/IW - The Coffey point days will be over, need him elsewhere. And The competition to start should be intense between these two.

SG: Kalesheur/Williams/Vandy transfer guy - Gabe is locked in for 3 more years, if Williams is as good as advertised then we might see some creative and fun lineups!

SF: Coffey/Hurt - this spot looks pretty thin but Gabe and Williams can slot there as options and maybe Payton(Vandy guy)

PF: Curry/Omersa - I see quality playing minutes for a big here. Perhaps Pitino can nab a Grad or a spring recruit (Hurt) to fill this in.

C: Oturu - Look for Oturu to be a beast with a full weight program and hopefully no injury to rehab. Bruno Fernando quality is what I'm looking for here. Open minutes to recruit for here as well.

Small Ball Lineup hinted at earlier: I picture this lineup running a 1-3-1 defense with Coffey running the baseline with his incredible length and Oturu and Curry holding down the middle. I can't remember the last time I saw the Gophers run this D, but I imagine they could cut down opponents 3% with this approach.

PG: Carr/IW
SG: Williams
SF: Gabe
PF: Coffey
C: Curry/Oturu - whichever can run the floor better.

Small ball lineup would probably be best served with a pass first IW over Carr. (although I could be wrong) Would be fun to watch an up and down game with IW/Carr feeding Gabe and Williams for spot ups and Ooping it up with the bigs and Coffey. Run and fun is always the best entertainment and looked awesome at the Iowa game.

Last edited:

I don't want another tall guy just to have another tall guy. That could be like a Konate/Diedhiou situation.

But man it would be nice to have Matz for another year to spell Oturu at times, if he played like he did against Iowa.

Pitino seems very high on Willis, based on what I've heard him say. Says he is a great shooter.

Pitino seems very high on Willis, based on what I've heard him say. Says he is a great shooter.

I hope that's an observation from practice, because Willis has pretty tepid shooting stats from his time at Vanderbilt.

Pitino has literally said that about every player that we've not seen yet for whatever reason (transfer, injury, new recruit).

Lets wait to see what Carr brings, as I don't think his stats at Pitt showed "great shooter". His frosh year is about equal to DuPree McBrayers current season.

I hope that's an observation from practice, because Willis has pretty tepid shooting stats from his time at Vanderbilt.

From a GoperSports article, here's his high school stats: "The second-ranked prospect in the state of Arkansas during his senior season, Willis averaged 15.9 points, 3.6 rebounds, 3.5 assists, and 1.5 steals per game while also shooting 44.7 percent from three in his junior season. He was honored as an all-conference and all-state selection as a sophomore and junior."

What info do you have that supports an IW transfer? I hope the basis is not your basketball acumen. We have 10 games left? I will match your transfer idea with my belief there is more than a 50/50 chance IW is the starting PG next year. Pitino has improved a number of players since he has been here. He is tight with IW, and we are seeing improvement in IW's play. Also, IW has referred to his poise or lack of in games, indicating he is aware of where he needs to go. Habits and behaviors are hard to change. The big step is understanding what it is that you need to strive for.

No info. Just a feeling based on the same issues that have already been discussed here. It seems likely that Carr will start over him and so it would not surprise me. I like IW and would love to be wrong. I think he should start the rest of this season and next year.

I don't want another tall guy just to have another tall guy. That could be like a Konate/Diedhiou situation.

But man it would be nice to have Matz for another year to spell Oturu at times, if he played like he did against Iowa.

Need 4 big guys with all the foul trouble that never seems to end.

Konate would help next years team with his post defense, and 5 fouls.

too bad he wasnt able to amount to more for whatever reason.

Watching Omersa try to guard legit Big Ten 4's just doesnt seem to be a good option next year.

No info. Just a feeling based on the same issues that have already been discussed here. It seems likely that Carr will start over him and so it would not surprise me. I like IW and would love to be wrong. I think he should start the rest of this season and next year.

If IW finishes strong this season the starting pt. guard position is going to be really interesting next season. I would think
Gabe has to start so will leave one position for the other two.

If Isaiah keeps playing like this, I love our backcourt depth next season:

PG: Washington/Carr
SG: Kalscheur/Willis
SF: Coffey/Williams

That looks good considering only Coffey will leave after next season (although Coffey will be hard to replace. Hopefully, one of Kalscheur, Willis, or Williams will prove to be a threat from the wing)

EDIT: I could see Carr starting next season too. He seems more of a B1G guard than Washington

Carr started for an entire ACC season at Pitt and averaged 10 pts or so. He should be able to slot in very effectively.

If Isaiah keeps playing like this, I love our backcourt depth next season:

PG: Washington/Carr
SG: Kalscheur/Willis
SF: Coffey/Williams

That looks good considering only Coffey will leave after next season (although Coffey will be hard to replace. Hopefully, one of Kalscheur, Willis, or Williams will prove to be a threat from the wing)

EDIT: I could see Carr starting next season too. He seems more of a B1G guard than Washington

Hypothetical here: Washington continues to improve and shows he should be getting big minutes next year. Could Carr play some 2-guard?

Need 4 big guys with all the foul trouble that never seems to end.

Konate would help next years team with his post defense, and 5 fouls.

too bad he wasnt able to amount to more for whatever reason.

Watching Omersa try to guard legit Big Ten 4's just doesnt seem to be a good option next year.

My feeling as well. Recently Pitino mentioned that he though Omersa was eventually going to be a really good player. I have a hard time seeing that, but I hope it happens. Did he ever say that about Bakary or Gaston? I’m guessing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My feeling as well. Recently Pitino mentioned that he though Omersa was eventually going to be a really good player. I have a hard time seeing that, but I hope it happens. Did he ever say that about Bakary or Gaston? I’m guessing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said Bakary was farther along as a freshman than Gourgui Dieng was when he was a freshman.

Hypothetical here: Washington continues to improve and shows he should be getting big minutes next year. Could Carr play some 2-guard?

Most likely. The most common talking head description of him has been combo guard. I there is plenty of room for both.

Top Bottom