Blind Resume Part I: 3 Teams For Final At-Large Bid

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I admit, it's too early for Blind Resume, but let's whet the Road to Selection Sunday palate once in January before getting serious in February.

You're on the Selection Committee, and you have these 3 teams under consideration for the final spot in the NCAA Tournament field. Which one do you select? Results and team reveals at noon.

vs. = neutral site
@ = road game
only # = home game

Team A
Record: 12-9
Quad 1 Record: 1-5
Quad 1/2 Combined Record: 5-8
Best 3 Wins: vs. #38, #36, #49
Road Record: 1-5
Road/Neutral Combined Record: 3-7
Non-Conference SOS: 36
Overall SOS: 28

Team B
Record: 12-7
Quad 1 Record: 2-5
Quad 1/2 Combined Record: 5-7
Best 3 Wins: @ #42, @ #59, #58
Road Record: 2-4
Road/Neutral Combined Record: 4-5
Non-Conference SOS: 199
Overall SOS: 68

Team C
Record: 14-6
Quad 1 Record: 1-3
Quad 1/2 Combined Record: 3-5
Best 3 Wins: @ #44, #45, vs. #60
Road Record: 3-4
Non-Conference SOS: 6
Overall SOS: 35

C B A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admit, it's too early for Blind Resume, but let's whet the Road to Selection Sunday palate once in January before getting serious in February.

You're on the Selection Committee, and you have these 3 teams under consideration for the final spot in the NCAA Tournament field. Which one do you select? Results and team reveals at noon.

vs. = neutral site
@ = road game
only # = home game

Team A

Team B

Team C

Interesting exercise.

My selection is Team C. Its strength of schedule is similar to Team A but its record is significantly better. It would appear the Team A either plays in a more highly rated conference and/or has played the higher rated teams in its conference. Team A has somewhat higher "best 3 wins" but that doesn't mean that much to me as the overall resume should matter more than particular wins (the differences aren't large and a team can only play its schedule). Team C has also fared better away from home. Finally, Team C has a very high rating for the non-conference schedule which should matter somewhat when considering teams for a tournament where all games are non-conference (at least in the initial rounds).

Team C is clearly favored over Team B The record is slightly better and the strength of schedule is significantly better. Team B also challenged itself much less in non-conference than the other teams and that should be considered for the reason stated above.

I'd go C, A, B I think. Don't like the non-conference SOS for B. Best wins are are pretty close. C has best road record.

C on the strength of schedule.

B

A

Exercise is flawed without the nearly infallible NET ranking!

C on the strength of schedule.

B

A

Exercise is flawed without the nearly infallible NET ranking!

That's the idea, Holy Man! I don't want people leaning on the NET ranking, but I can assure you these are all close-to-the-bubble or bubble teams.

ACB. Between A and C for me, looks like C has 11 wins vs non top 2 quad teams which inflates their record vs only 7 for A with both teams with only one loss there (so presumably one bad loss). Interesting debate

Team C is in a bad conference and took in a lot of $$$ going to get beat by Power 5 team and thus the high non-conf SOS.

Team A is Indiana like. bad team in a big conference with a 5* freshman everyone loves and a deep history.

I'd pick Team B. (they kicked ass out of conference, it looks like) and have been slightly below .500 in a competitive conference.

i would go cba for now

a is 12-9 they don't deserve to get in..nuff said..however they are in a good confrence so they'll have a chance for improvement

now if the selection was today the better resume is c, however with that being said b should be able to catch up by the end of the year even with a few more losses

acb, but tough call between a and c.

vs. = neutral site
@ = road game
only # = home game

Team A

Team B

Team C

Hard for me to take quad records seeriously when I can see first hands how flawed the rankings are.

Wisconsin is a better win than Kansas!

VCU has only one remaining top 100 game (@Dayton) on the schedule. Both Butler and Nebraska will have many opportunities to accumulate "good" wins.

I agree with the choice of VCU right now. They largely need to run the table though to stay on that level.

Nebraska is really up against it though. With 6 losses already and still visiting the MI schools & Purdue later, they need to start rattling off Ws quickly.

Last edited:

C A B, and it was not a close call for me.

Yeah, same with me. Now that the identities are revealed I feel even better about that ranking. Nebraska is falling and maybe cannot get back up. Butler has had many good seasons over the last 20 years but the Big East, outside of Villanova and Xavier of course, has seemed overrepresented in recent years. VCU had a pretty good run some years back but hasn't been heard from since. Maybe they are due.

I picked C A B before seeing the teams on page 2 and would stick with that.
Neb. has its work cut out over the next month to flip the script.
Butler with a few more wins in Quad 1 and 2 would be able to overtake VCU by seasons end.

Where the game was played is important.

I agree.

But somebody gets a quad 1 win for beating Wisconsin at home and some other team doesn’t get a quad 1 win for beating Minnesota at home.

When Minnesota has fewer losses and a head to head road win against Wisconsin.

When I did this exercise my answer was C and the other two flat don't get in. The reveal further affirms my belief that Nebraska (B, the worst) doesn't belong nearly where they are thought of.

I also picked C, A, B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom