Penny Hardaway: Memphis staff's NBA background creating 'jealousy' among coaches

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

Penny Hardaway says the NBA background of his Memphis coaching staff is creating a little jealousy among other coaches, putting a target on his own back in his first season with the Tigers.

"I'm getting used to this as a coach because it's a little jealousy from a lot of these coaches around the country," Hardaway said Monday. "I do understand that because we are NBA players trying to come back, and we didn't have any experience as college coaches. So we didn't quote, unquote, 'Pay our dues.' So the coaches and their so-called boys that are in the media they're going to always throw jabs at us."

The first-year coach says his Tigers still have to prove the detractors wrong by winning.

Hired last March to replace Tubby Smith, Hardaway hired former NBA players Mike Miller and Sam Mitchell, who's also a former NBA coach of the year, as assistants. Hardaway has made it clear he's tapping into his professional background to help his alma mater, including making tweaks to a brand-new basketball facility on campus to bring it up to NBA quality.

He says there's a bit of a backlash and negativity with the NBA approach Memphis is taking with himself, Miller and Mitchell and that their NBA experience is "a little intimidating to a lot of people."

"For sure, I definitely feel like there's a target on my back," Hardaway said. "There's a lot of people that don't want me to succeed because it's going to look like an NBA guy came back with no experience and won so of course I relish in that."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...round-creating-jealousy-other-college-coaches

Go Gophers!!

I liked Penny as a NBA player, but man is he turning out to be annoying as a college coach

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Recruiting lights out but he better win huge and soon or his coaching will be laughed at.

What a joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Penny’s story will boil down to wins and losses, not recruiting. He’ll sign his share of 4 and 5 stars but his bar in Memphis is going to be set at the Calipari height. That’s pretty high. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penny’s story will boil down to wins and losses, not recruiting. He’ll sign his share of 4 and 5 stars but his bar in Memphis is going to be set at the Calipari height. That’s pretty high. Good luck.

Don't forget the Keith Lee years either. 3 Sweet 16s, a #1 in-season ranking and a Final Four. That's an even higher bar than the Cal years, IMO.

Anfernee is bringing all the NBA baggage to his new gig. He's pretty much checking all the boxes: drama queen behavior, proving the detractors wrong, yada, yada. Just f*cking do your thing and stop annoying everyone.

Anfernee is bringing all the NBA baggage to his new gig. He's pretty much checking all the boxes: drama queen behavior, proving the detractors wrong, yada, yada. Just f*cking do your thing and stop annoying everyone.

I wonder if we will still be annoyed with this is Fred Hoigberg is the Gopher coach next year and he fills the staff with some NBA coaches. My feeling is that I would hate going up against that coaching staff and would be annoyed as an opposing fan, but would be thrilled if it was my team and it meant great recruiting.

Didn't realize Penny was the first and most prominent NBA player to ever be a D1 coach to cause this jealousy amongst other coaches.

Like, what if a member of the Dream Team was a D1 coach? IMAGINE THE JEALOUSY! (Oh, Patrick Ewing. Oh, Chris Mullin.

Or an NBA HOFer? (Oh, Isiah Thomas.)

Or a host of other prominent NBA superstars, hall of famers, etc. that have and continue to coach.

I no longer like Penny. He can go away.

Penney can hire whoever he wants. He's not doing himself any favors with his public whining. If his NBA guys can translate their experience to the college game and rules, they have a huge upside. It isn't automatic, though.

By the way, Matthew Hurt can spare himself all that self-inflicted drama by coming to the U.

I feel so bad for Penny. The other kids are picking on him. Totally not worth $1.5M+ per year.

Penney can hire whoever he wants. He's not doing himself any favors with his public whining. If his NBA guys can translate their experience to the college game and rules, they have a huge upside. It isn't automatic, though.

By the way, Matthew Hurt can spare himself all that self-inflicted drama by coming to the U.

Give up on this! Matthew was at the Iowa game with all his grandparents, mother and little sister (who has been offered by Kansas) and Mike did not see the floor! Mike will grad transfer to where ever Matthew goes.

Top Bottom