Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 89 of 89
  1. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Do you have to pay the donation every year? Or is it like the seat license at US Bank stadium? You buy it once and then you own the rights to buy tickets for that seat.
    Every year, the pic I posted is the price for this year for every seat.


  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Every year, the pic I posted is the price for this year for every seat.
    How much were the season tickets before they started forcing you to give that gift? Is there a tax break for the U or season ticket holders by making it a gift rather than just a flat price for the season ticket holders? I think i've read on here that the gift can no longer be used as a deduction?

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    They do this. You get like $5 off $25 at Mariucci, The Barn and TCF. I think. It doesn’t apply to alcohol and I rarely get more than popcorn to eat at games.
    Wow. I've been a season ticket holder for over a decade and I never knew about this perk. How does a person use it?

  4. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethomasp31 View Post
    How much were the season tickets before they started forcing you to give that gift? Is there a tax break for the U or season ticket holders by making it a gift rather than just a flat price for the season ticket holders? I think i've read on here that the gift can no longer be used as a deduction?
    I don't remember the past prices.

    Republicans nixed the tax break..... never forget.

  5. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Every year, the pic I posted is the price for this year for every seat.
    Then that's stupid. That just means the actual cost of the season ticket is the "price" plus the donation, that's the real price.

    The Vikings USBank stadium seat license method is far superior.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mean streets of Rochester
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    They do this. You get like $5 off $25 at Mariucci, The Barn and TCF. I think. It doesn’t apply to alcohol and I rarely get more than popcorn to eat at games.
    Has anybody ever tried to capitalize on this deal? Can you imagine the looks on the people's face at the concession stand when you ask them to give you the "season ticket holder deal"? I'm willing to bet most of them don't even know about it. Their slow pace would grind to an even slower pace (or halt) as they would have to ask the supervisor in charge how to ring up the $5 discount. UGH!

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Then that's stupid. That just means the actual cost of the season ticket is the "price" plus the donation, that's the real price.

    The Vikings USBank stadium seat license method is far superior.

    Vikings tickets are WAY more expensive and have way more pricing tiers. I'm sure the reason initially was to give season ticket holders a chance to deduct part of the ticket prices as a gift. It seems doing that is no longer an option. I was wondering if there was a tax incentive for the U to keep the pricing structure as is with the gift rather than just having a flat fee. Maybe the U could have a system for new season ticket holders (and current ones for that matter) to pay the gift and then that gift is good for three years. Then maybe have a season ticket price that is discounted over time. What I mean is if you have had season tickets for 5-10 years you get a 7% discount on your season tickets, 10-15 years gets you 10% off your season tickets, 15-20 a little more and so on. The last idea is a way to keep the season tickets, and the other way is to get people to buy season tickets. They set the price for the season tickets anyways, so as demand goes up the regular price would go up. Give season ticket holders a Gold Card or Maroon Card that gives them discounts for concessions or merchandise at the stadium and maybe other venues around town. Maybe even for travel. Maybe the color of the card would depend on the size of their gift, and also give larger discounts depending on the card you are given. You want to make it attractive to buy season tickets, but also keep the season tickets. I would think the U athletic department would have people who are able to find some incentives to make this attractive.

  8. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    Has anybody ever tried to capitalize on this deal? Can you imagine the looks on the people's face at the concession stand when you ask them to give you the "season ticket holder deal"? I'm willing to bet most of them don't even know about it. Their slow pace would grind to an even slower pace (or halt) as they would have to ask the supervisor in charge how to ring up the $5 discount. UGH!
    Give season ticket holders a Maroon Reward Card that they hand to the person to swipe to get a new price. It's not like this is something new in sales.

  9. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethomasp31 View Post
    I'm sure the reason initially was to give season ticket holders a chance to deduct part of the ticket prices as a gift.
    That's fine and well, but at the end of the day the true cost is the true cost. And it looks to me that they're looking for a MINIMUM of $60/game (true cost) for any kind of decent seats.

    For someone who has no family tradition of going to games, and has no access to a tailgate ...... you're asking for $60/game, so that they can spend the time and hassle to drive down, find parking (and like spend more $$$ on it), walk to the stadium, and sit likely farther away/have less of a view/vantage point on the action than they can get at home for zero cost (in any sense)??? And that doesn't include concessions, waiting in line for the bathroom, or if you have to bring the whole family to the game (4x cost for four seats). And it doesn't factor in that two of the games will be weekday nights, one will be a Sat night (non-ideal timing for most people), or that weather might suck.


    To me, it's very, very easy to see why this is broken.

    These types of prices are basically just for people who really, really care about going to the stadium for the game, because of family traditions and/or access to tailgating. That's really who the stadium is for, beyond students of course.

  10. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    Has anybody ever tried to capitalize on this deal? Can you imagine the looks on the people's face at the concession stand when you ask them to give you the "season ticket holder deal"? I'm willing to bet most of them don't even know about it. Their slow pace would grind to an even slower pace (or halt) as they would have to ask the supervisor in charge how to ring up the $5 discount. UGH!
    We used it and the concession employee knew about it. It may have taken an extra 30 seconds to have it applied. I didn't think it was a big deal but I'm sure some on this board would have been appalled at the inconvenience and subsequently dropped their season tickets.

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    Has anybody ever tried to capitalize on this deal? Can you imagine the looks on the people's face at the concession stand when you ask them to give you the "season ticket holder deal"? I'm willing to bet most of them don't even know about it. Their slow pace would grind to an even slower pace (or halt) as they would have to ask the supervisor in charge how to ring up the $5 discount. UGH!
    After the no water game they gave out certificates .... a few vendors didn't really know what those were.

    As for the $5 off 25 ... yeah they've been confused about that too.

    It stands to reason if you have that many people who don't do this thing well, being consistent is not gonna happen.

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    That's fine and well, but at the end of the day the true cost is the true cost. And it looks to me that they're looking for a MINIMUM of $60/game (true cost) for any kind of decent seats.

    For someone who has no family tradition of going to games, and has no access to a tailgate ...... you're asking for $60/game, so that they can spend the time and hassle to drive down, find parking (and like spend more $$$ on it), walk to the stadium, and sit likely farther away/have less of a view/vantage point on the action than they can get at home for zero cost (in any sense)??? And that doesn't include concessions, waiting in line for the bathroom, or if you have to bring the whole family to the game (4x cost for four seats). And it doesn't factor in that two of the games will be weekday nights, one will be a Sat night (non-ideal timing for most people), or that weather might suck.


    To me, it's very, very easy to see why this is broken.

    These types of prices are basically just for people who really, really care about going to the stadium for the game, because of family traditions and/or access to tailgating. That's really who the stadium is for, beyond students of course.


    Yeah I understand what you are saying. I've sat in a few different places in the stadium and there are a lot of good seats. You have to make it fair for those fans who have been supporting the Gophers over time, but also make it more affordable for new fans who want to go and have a lot of options of ways to spend their entertainment dollars. I thought that making that gift good for three years or so might make some sense. Maybe even give the option to pay the gift over time could be an option. If they pay it upfront they get a bigger discount. They could do a better job of tailgating. I've been to Stubs and Herbs or BDubs before games and it was pretty fun. Stubs and Herbs has had a band in the back and it was pretty festive. I've also parked down by the river and there seemed to be a little tailgating. The stadium is pretty urban, so there isn't a lot of room to tailgate, plus a lot of people take the light rail since it is so convenient. Maybe they could use one of those lots as a place to have a pre/post tailgating party. Twins have family sections of seats. I'm sure if the U doesn't do that, they could with discounts for those family on concessions and merchandise as well.

  13. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethomasp31 View Post
    Yeah I understand what you are saying. I've sat in a few different places in the stadium and there are a lot of good seats. You have to make it fair for those fans who have been supporting the Gophers over time, but also make it more affordable for new fans who want to go and have a lot of options of ways to spend their entertainment dollars. I thought that making that gift good for three years or so might make some sense. Maybe even give the option to pay the gift over time could be an option. If they pay it upfront they get a bigger discount. They could do a better job of tailgating. I've been to Stubs and Herbs or BDubs before games and it was pretty fun. Stubs and Herbs has had a band in the back and it was pretty festive. I've also parked down by the river and there seemed to be a little tailgating. The stadium is pretty urban, so there isn't a lot of room to tailgate, plus a lot of people take the light rail since it is so convenient. Maybe they could use one of those lots as a place to have a pre/post tailgating party. Twins have family sections of seats. I'm sure if the U doesn't do that, they could with discounts for those family on concessions and merchandise as well.
    Any kind of deal on the gift or something, is better than what they have now, it would seem.

    I tried to put out the idea of using the fairgrounds lot as a way to build up tailgating/party/pre-game atmopshere, but it was mostly shot down.

  14. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethomasp31 View Post
    How much were the season tickets before they started forcing you to give that gift?
    To be clear - no one is forcing you to do anything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •