Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Make the food and drink free at TCF

There's been a lot of debate on how to goose ticket sales, particularly in the era of all the games for free at home in HDTV.

What if you just made all the food and non-alcoholic drinks free at TCF? Walk up and get whatever you want, within reason. Think about that for a sec.

How much money does the U really make on concessions? Would it not be worth it in increased ticket and ancillary revenue, as well as in the gameday atmosphere bump?

It's one of the only things they could offer that would:

• Appeal to casual fans and die hards alike (everyone likes free food)
    • Be something fans can't get at home (done for them and for free, at least)
    • Would really appeal to students and younger fans
    • Not require some huge infrastructure investment
    • Get certain national publicity

I think beer would still cost $, and there would be some kind of card or ticket system to keep things from being totally abused. I think it's an idea though. Going low cost on concessions worked really well for the Atlanta Falcons in their new stadium.

We lost money on beer charging people. May as well lose even more by not charging peope

That’s not happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Innovative, unique, and thoughtful. Has a chance.

Seriously? You should have stayed in school. The reason they don’t make a lot on food is because there is significant cost for providing food. If it’s free then becomes a massive loss.

Quote Originally Posted by watertown 1987 guy n View Post
    Seriously? You should have stayed in school. The reason they don’t make a lot on food is because there is significant cost for providing food. If it’s free then becomes a massive loss.
    How do you figure?

Hey I love free food as much as the next guy, but yeah....this wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    Hey I love free food as much as the next guy, but yeah....this wouldn't work.
    x voided post
    Last edited by oak_street1981; 01-28-2019 at 10:13 PM.

reconsidered post, was political content.. deleted by me

.. blamed that snake Mark Coyle though!

It's always amazing how easily people can spend other people's money.

Probably won't happen but at least someone is trying to come up with ideas.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    We lost money on beer charging people. May as well lose even more by not charging peope
    Yeah, it's clearly something the Ath Dept doesn't do real well so why not put energies into things that might go better. Like getting butts in seats.

Of course there's a cost. It's not huge when we're talking about low cost things like fountain soda, popcorn, dogs, pizza, and nachos. Maybe $10 a head, tops. Probably less than that if we're not including free beer and it's just food costs, not prices.

Let's say the average ticket the U isn't able to sell right now is $50, which is conservative. If the rather significant and unique promo gooses ticket sales by 20%, then it already breaks even. Add in parking, merch, and beer revenue for that group and shazam, we're in the black. With no maroon and gold chairs showing.

To be fair to the OP, we were told on here that we shouldn’t consider profits from concessions as an advantage of higher attendance so why should we consider losses from concessions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

How about just hiring a competent food vendor? There have been countless times over the past few years, where they run out of simple things like Diet Coke and condiments (or don't refill them), by half-time. And remember, the stadium is not even sold out. Things like this just add to the fan frustration and experience at TCF.