Will they cancel Wednesday’s game vs Illinois?

It will interesting to see if younger kids, and the students, actually put on a jacket for this game.

This is so true! My son rarely wears a jacket.. just a hoodie. It can be zero degrees.. "I'm fine" in a snotty tone. That said, if he goes to the game tomorrow, I'm making him bundle up and cover his skin.

When we were kids growing back in the 50's and 60's next to the Manitoba border in North Dakota, nothing closed due to cold weather.And that was before the advent of the school bus. And it got very cold.

Lots of snow? Yes.

Car heaters were inadequate, cardboard in front of the the radiator, ice scrapers, chains on tires, blankets and shovels in the trunk were mandatory.

Times have changed.

I grew up near Grand Forks, North Dakota in the 80's and I wasn't sure if my memory was just playing the "back in my day" game or if it was really as cold as I remember. I pulled up January, 1982 on the historical information section of Weather Underground and it isn't a faulty memory. The average temperature for the entire month was -7 and a couple days had a high temperature in the negative mid teens just like we are supposed to have here tomorrow. Somehow, we survived with all our fingers and toes. I don't remember any classmates being found frozen solid while attempting to get to school.

Oh, and for the record, yes...I did walk to and from school every day in the snow. But it wasn't uphill each way. This was in the Red River Valley and there are not hills. ;)

Last edited:

I'll probably cough up the $10 and park inside, about four blocks closer than I usually park. I don't think I am wussified, but I am getting older and softer than my younger years. Florida is looking pretty good.

When we were kids growing back in the 50's and 60's next to the Manitoba border in North Dakota, nothing closed due to cold weather.And that was before the advent of the school bus. And it got very cold.

Lots of snow? Yes.

Car heaters were inadequate, cardboard in front of the the radiator, ice scrapers, chains on tires, blankets and shovels in the trunk were mandatory.

Times have changed.

Yes, the good old days. Grew up on the same tundra though in Minnesota. After 2 years of being stupid, I took to scheduling my winter quarter around the tunnel system. Even had a map of it I would consult before registering.

A charged cell phone is important, but someone still has to answer.

A charged cell phone is important, but someone still has to answer.

Yeah, luckily you can make more than 1 call. It isn't prison.

9-1-1, local police, tow companies, friends, family...plenty of options.

In mostly seriousness, I do hope people show up. Bad weather can suck the life out of home court advantage if people stay home. We need a good, aggressive crowd to intimidate the young Illini. Don't want it to look like a preseason scrimmage.

I think people don't realize how cold 45 to 50 below feels like (which is what the windchill may be Weds night). I believe it will be about 10 degrees warmer in Ames (ISU) at same time, which is all relative when its this cold. A walk of more than 5 minutes into Williams arena could cause frost bite, which is why I am giving my tickets to my wife and son. Ha (kidding..maybe)!

Seriously, its going to be dangerous for those walking a good distance, so pay extra for parking or wear a face mask. I think the "we got soft" crowd will go soft once outside in that sh@t.

Good post. As much as I would like to see Wednesday's game as scheduled, there are more important things in this world than satisfying my appetite for Gopher basketball.

Yeah, luckily you can make more than 1 call. It isn't prison.

9-1-1, local police, tow companies, friends, family...plenty of options.

I'd rather call the CPP than the campus police.

It would be responsible to reschedule the game.

But this is $$$ we're talking about. So the game won't be rescheduled.

Planes fly fine in cold weather. The game will be played.

Obviously this wasn't the point .... BUT it is interesting to note that up at altitude, I believe the air temp (actual temp, not wind chill) are like -80 F. So yeah, even -30 actual temp down on the surface is nothing.

UW just canceled classes through noon on Thursday. Has the U also canceled? If so, the game should be rescheduled.

Side benefit, canceling might allow us to play the game with Oturu.

Raining lava out of the sky should be the only reason to postpone a game.

True, but being self reliant is an option too.

LOL. I'm guessing you've never called a tow truck, the police or anyone for help? Good to know and pretty amazing!

Luckily I've never had a breakdown in winter, despite growing up in a rural area and spending 5 years of college in Duluth with a FWD sedan. Something about not being stupid helps.

LOL. I'm guessing you've never called a tow truck, the police or anyone for help? Good to know and pretty amazing!

Luckily I've never had a breakdown in winter, despite growing up in a rural area and spending 5 years of college in Duluth with a FWD sedan. Something about not being stupid helps.

My first comment was a simple observation on being prepared, but if since you are trying so hard to come off as the cliched millennial ******, I'll rise to the challenge.

-First 911 is not a number to call because your car won't start, emergency responders have important things to attend to, especially in the cities.
-Tow companies or AAA would be the correct first call, but when there is a snow storm or severe cold weather, you would be lucky to get an answer and even if you do then you better be prepared to wait a couple hours. A long wait in -30 degree weather.
-Family and friends was your other suggestion, but since I am an adult, I find it silly that my friends and especially my mommy and daddy should have to wake up in the middle of the night to rescue me because I think the idea of jumper cables, a car starter, or blankets is outdated.

What you are advocating is not that your cell phone has rendered preparedness outdated, but rather that you have a cell phone so that you can contact people that are smart enough to be prepared.

New promotion - free popcorn if you get frostbite on your way into the game!

Or a new pick-up line for meeting women: "excuse me, I can't feel my hands. will you hold them and try to warm them up.....?"

I remember going to a North Stars game in the winter of '81-82. The listed wind chill was -80 that night. The walk from the car into the arena felt like it took a year. Of course, that was the old wind chill formula. Under the current wind chill formula, it would have been something like -65. For those who don't know, the national weather service changed the formula used to calculate wind chill in 2001.

My first comment was a simple observation on being prepared, but if since you are trying so hard to come off as the cliched millennial ******, I'll rise to the challenge.

-First 911 is not a number to call because your car won't start, emergency responders have important things to attend to, especially in the cities.
-Tow companies or AAA would be the correct first call, but when there is a snow storm or severe cold weather, you would be lucky to get an answer and even if you do then you better be prepared to wait a couple hours. A long wait in -30 degree weather.
-Family and friends was your other suggestion, but since I am an adult, I find it silly that my friends and especially my mommy and daddy should have to wake up in the middle of the night to rescue me because I think the idea of jumper cables, a car starter, or blankets is outdated.

What you are advocating is not that your cell phone has rendered preparedness outdated, but rather that you have a cell phone so that you can contact people that are smart enough to be prepared.

Lot of millennials in their mid-40s? Good to know.

9-1-1 is the default for emergency and non-emergency calls to the police in a lot of areas, including places like Robbinsdale, MN.

My mom is dead and my dad can't drive. I was giving options of who I could call. If your car is stalled in -50, and you have a blanket, I think you'll still die. I do have a car starter and jumper cables.

Good talk Tim. Keep being rational and saying big man things like "millennial" if it helps you feel better.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

UW just canceled classes through noon on Thursday. Has the U also canceled? If so, the game should be rescheduled.

Classes are cancelled Wed, but the university is open.

I'm sure part of the decision that it remained open had to do with the $$$ from the basketball game. Very responsible.

Didn't realize the Final Four was this weekend. Goodman is brutal.

Game needs to happen to get some revenge on Illinoize. Who had the Gophers winning FB and BB in Madison this year and getting demolished in both sports in Champaign?

Game needs to happen to get some revenge on Illinoize. Who had the Gophers winning FB and BB in Madison this year and getting demolished in both sports in Champaign?

Terrible, excruciating point. :(

And their volleyball team made it to the final four, when it should have been ours. Awful

Top Bottom