Will they cancel Wednesday’s game vs Illinois?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Sounds like they have cancelled classes on Wednesday. Could this lead to the game being cancelled?

As long as Illinois can get here and i dont know why they wouldnt, itll be played.

I don't care if it's 100 below. If BTN says they're playing, they're playing. TV owns college sports lock, stock and barrel. which is why there are B1G games on virtually every night of the week. BTN pays, and the schools dance.

I don't care if it's 100 below. If BTN says they're playing, they're playing. TV owns college sports lock, stock and barrel. which is why there are B1G games on virtually every night of the week. BTN pays, and the schools dance.

You got that right.

If they don’t show up, they forfeit. Factor that winning efficiency into your NET ranking.

ISU has a game Wednesday night and they confirmed it will still be on, so I'd imagine Gophers would be no different.

Planes fly fine in cold weather. The game will be played.

Well yeah, I get that. But there is a risk of having that many people come to campus. They canceled class, and legs work just fine in cold weather.

If the game is postponed, it’s official, America officially has become full fledged wussified. I’d rather use the letter “p”, but that might offend some of the dainty flowers out there.

Some of us have a problem - Sir M has declared himself ineligible for attending this game...

No such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard that the plan is to play as long as the teams and officials are able to get here.

Classes being cancelled was mainly about students walking in the cold. Should be less of an issue for the game. If they were concerned I bet they'd just run a shuttle from parking lots to the Barn. It won't be a fun walk but it shouldn't be dangerous.

Not a precedent we want to establish for lots of reasons. Play the game.

I think people don't realize how cold 45 to 50 below feels like (which is what the windchill may be Weds night). I believe it will be about 10 degrees warmer in Ames (ISU) at same time, which is all relative when its this cold. A walk of more than 5 minutes into Williams arena could cause frost bite, which is why I am giving my tickets to my wife and son. Ha (kidding..maybe)!

Seriously, its going to be dangerous for those walking a good distance, so pay extra for parking or wear a face mask. I think the "we got soft" crowd will go soft once outside in that sh@t.

If the game is postponed, it’s official, America officially has become full fledged wussified. I’d rather use the letter “p”, but that might offend some of the dainty flowers out there.

That’s already “official”. We used to just call this WINTER. Now it’s polar vortex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Maunder Minimum Appearing In Theaters Near You

That’s already “official”. We used to just call this WINTER. Now it’s polar vortex.

Huh? Someone say something? An Inconvenient Cold?

Check out the Grand Solar Minimum or the Maunder Minimum theories...

See this Historical Cold Spell where the Mississippi River froze to New Orleans

Little man syndrome running wild on this formus lately. woof.

In 84 or 85, MPLS got a ton of snow and the Gopher game still went on. Walked to the game from Frontier Hall in about a foot and a half of snow! They will play.

One of my favorite stories is one of my Dad's close friends who had season tickets next to my parents for years, accidentally locked his keys in the car at a gas station not far from campus as he meant to keep his car running when he went inside to grab something to eat before the game as it was really cold out. Well when he realized his keys were in the car with the car running and the game was starting in less than 15 minutes, he made the decision to walk to the game and leave his car running as he didn't have time to call someone to open the car. After the game when he got back to his car, his wife had met him with the extra set of keys and off he went!

Now that's dedication.

Go Gophers!!

I think people don't realize how cold 45 to 50 below feels like (which is what the windchill may be Weds night). I believe it will be about 10 degrees warmer in Ames (ISU) at same time, which is all relative when its this cold. A walk of more than 5 minutes into Williams arena could cause frost bite, which is why I am giving my tickets to my wife and son. Ha (kidding..maybe)!

Seriously, its going to be dangerous for those walking a good distance, so pay extra for parking or wear a face mask. I think the "we got soft" crowd will go soft once outside in that sh@t.
Layers.
As a kid I, twice, delivered papers in -50F for a two mile route that took an hour to get through. Keep everything covered up. Wear your choppers and Sorels. Screw fashion and enjoy your flannels.

I'm planning to park nearby in a ramp. Going to the pre-game chalk talk with some friends so we'll park next to each other just in case a car doesn't start post-game. Other than that, I'm not worried. The thread was started to see if there was a rule about student athlete's competing on a day when classes are cancelled.

If you want to understand the why's of this weather, listen to Dennis Green describe it, it will all make sense:

Layers.
As a kid I, twice, delivered papers in -50F for a two mile route that took an hour to get through. Keep everything covered up. Wear your choppers and Sorels. Screw fashion and enjoy your flannels.

When we were kids growing back in the 50's and 60's next to the Manitoba border in North Dakota, nothing closed due to cold weather.And that was before the advent of the school bus. And it got very cold.

Lots of snow? Yes.

Car heaters were inadequate, cardboard in front of the the radiator, ice scrapers, chains on tires, blankets and shovels in the trunk were mandatory.

Times have changed.

When we were kids growing back in the 50's and 60's next to the Manitoba border in North Dakota, nothing closed due to cold weather.And that was before the advent of the school bus. And it got very cold.

Lots of snow? Yes.

Car heaters were inadequate, cardboard in front of the the radiator, ice scrapers, chains on tires, blankets and shovels in the trunk were mandatory.

Times have changed.
Yes, better cars and radial tires...
Honestly, I believe the reason why we shut down so quickly is because we are now such a litigious society. All it takes is one person to sue a school and $$$ gets flushed down the drain. It's easier and less expensive for schools to just shut down and not risk a lawsuit.

It will interesting to see if younger kids, and the students, actually put on a jacket for this game.

Honestly, I believe the reason why we shut down so quickly is because we are now such a litigious society. All it takes is one person to sue a school and $$$ gets flushed down the drain. It's easier and less expensive for schools to just shut down and not risk a lawsuit.

Yep.

We became, and now have become, a "sue" society.

Lots of snow? Yes.

Times have changed.

They have. I laugh at the "winter emergency car kit" articles in local newspapers because the only thing I really need is a cell phone. Having a blanket, candles, food, etc. is fine and good but really, just give me a cell phone and I think I'll be OK.

Granted, if you're in a rural enough area, you might want to plan ahead. I don't consider Dinkytown rural though.

Thank you for stating the obvious. I love how quickly these conversations digress into the wussification of society. Just major organizations protecting their assets.

Top Bottom