Will they cancel Wednesday’s game vs Illinois?

Classes are cancelled Wed, but the university is open.

I'm sure part of the decision that it remained open had to do with the $$$ from the basketball game. Very responsible.

May also have something to do with hospitals and other necessary things associated with a huge community. I'm sure basketball was the real reason the U is "open" even though classes are cancelled.

May also have something to do with hospitals and other necessary things associated with a huge community. I'm sure basketball was the real reason the U is "open" even though classes are cancelled.

The university does not own a hospital.

Lot of millennials in their mid-40s? Good to know.

9-1-1 is the default for emergency and non-emergency calls to the police in a lot of areas, including places like Robbinsdale, MN.

My mom is dead and my dad can't drive. I was giving options of who I could call. If your car is stalled in -50, and you have a blanket, I think you'll still die. I do have a car starter and jumper cables.

Good talk Tim. Keep being rational and saying big man things like "millennial" if it helps you feel better.

I have no idea how old you are, I was commenting on how you were coming off.

If you have that stuff then why were you saying that the idea of an emergency car kit is silly and a cell phone replaces all that? Maybe I misinterpreted the whole thing. If that is the case, I'm sorry and also since it would seem you are my elder, then sorry for the disrespect.

I have no idea how old you are, I was commenting on how you were coming off.

If you have that stuff then why were you saying that the idea of an emergency car kit is silly and a cell phone replaces all that? Maybe I misinterpreted the whole thing. If that is the case, I'm sorry and also since it would seem you are my elder, then sorry for the disrespect.

All good. My point was that winter emergency car kits are funny because you shouldn't be stranded for hours with modern technology. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way.

I think they should reduce the unsold ticket prices for this game to try to encourage some folks like me to go.

All good. My point was that winter emergency car kits are funny because you shouldn't be stranded for hours with modern technology. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way.

No problem. I just like to come off as the old guy yelling at people get off lawn every once and awhile.

I think they should reduce the unsold ticket prices for this game to try to encourage some folks like me to go.

Discount code GLP. Should get you in for much cheaper. I believe as low as $20! (wasn't working online last night but if you call the ticket office they will honor it)

Only valid on mygophersports.com or through the ticket office.

COME HANG OUT WITH US!

Discount code GLP. Should get you in for much cheaper. I believe as low as $20! (wasn't working online last night but if you call the ticket office they will honor it)

Only valid on mygophersports.com or through the ticket office.

COME HANG OUT WITH US!

Awesome! Thanks

Will believe it when I see it, but there's a rumor going around the U of M (gasp!) may close tomorrow. I don't remember that happening in at least 20 years. I don't think they'd call off the game (BTN/$$$$$$$$$/difficulty in rescheduling), but I'm sure U of M employees would welcome that.

Will believe it when I see it, but there's a rumor going around the U of M (gasp!) may close tomorrow. I don't remember that happening in at least 20 years. I don't think they'd call off the game (BTN/$$$$$$$$$/difficulty in rescheduling), but I'm sure U of M employees would welcome that.

Its already closed. It actually was announced last night. Closed at Noon Tuesday and all day Wednesday.

Its already closed. It actually was announced last night. Closed at Noon Tuesday and all day Wednesday.

No, classes were cancelled. The university is remaining open. Which really just means that employees are not excused from showing up for duty.

So parents will have to call in sick or use vacation, when their daycare is closed. Because they all will.

The university does not own a hospital.

No but they do partner with a large hospital company on their campus and many U employees are also at the hospital. I'm pretty sure Fairview isn't clearing the walks, thus U employees needed. Of course, your original point was that the primary motivation for keeping something at the U open was strictly about basketball $$$, which is a crock. There is a lot going on over that can be closed, and a lot that really can't.

No but they do partner with a large hospital company on their campus and many U employees are also at the hospital. I'm pretty sure Fairview isn't clearing the walks, thus U employees needed. Of course, your original point was that the primary motivation for keeping something at the U open was strictly about basketball $$$, which is a crock. There is a lot going on over that can be closed, and a lot that really can't.

Your argument entirely rests on the idea that if the university were closed, Fairview hospital would turn all the lights off and lock all the doors. Which is completely absurd.

Yep. Classes canceled for students, but employees still report. Extremely rare when it closes altogether.

Makes sense. If it closes, you'd think the game is cancelled. But hopefully that doesn't happen. I'm kind of excited to be at this one in part due to the weather.

Same reason I went to the Vikings vs Panthers game @ TCF when it was insanely cold.

Makes sense. If it closes, you'd think the game is cancelled. But hopefully that doesn't happen. I'm kind of excited to be at this one in part due to the weather.

Same reason I went to the Vikings vs Panthers game @ TCF when it was insanely cold.

There will be a sense of camaraderie for those of us die-hards at the game!! If us Minnesotan's don't have weather to talk about, what do we have?!

Go Gophers!!

I am in my last days of my 70's and i will be there. I remember plenty of games that were still packed even when it was freezing.

Goodman is a complete tool. Glad to see him get ratioed after that stupid tweet

There's a bunch of people posting the current temp in other cities and saying "Can't wait to get to Louisville for the Kentucky" or "Can't wait to get to Indianapolis for the Indianapolis 500".

Would be curious if Illinois team has already traveled here or not. If not, I would very much encourage UMN admin to the do the right thing and call off the game.

If they're already here, well I guess it's too late to cancel it .... play it, but offer people refunds if they don't want to come because of the dangerous weather.

Per GopherSports:
WEATHER UPDATE: Wednesday's game will be played as scheduled. As a result of the cold weather, fans will be able to enter the arena through the Maturi Pavilion entrance on the west end of the building, in addition to all other gates. Any additional information or updates will be posted here and on Gopher men's basketball social media channels on Twitter and Facebook.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/...host-illinois-in-rematch-wednesday-night.aspx

Apologies if this was noted earlier in the thread.

My talking thermometer just told me it turned -25 right now. That's pretty cold for 4:30 in the afternoon. The wind is howling loud enough, I bet the windchill has to be getting close to 50 below. I'd go to the game if I lived in The Cities, but a long drive wouldn't be fun. If you hit a big bump, the car might shatter!

If I remember correctly, the day of the big storm that destroyed the roof of the Metrodome, the game against Eastern Washington (I think it was EWU) went on. I put my Sorells on and trudged my way from my condo to BWW in Eagan (about a 1/2 mile) to watch it.

Dana O'Neil chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Looks like the halftime show cancelled. Curious to see who sings the national anthem. Usually school groups but doubt that will be the case. Maybe the crowd can sing it?

No halftime show listed on the email I just got. Let some students or fans shoot half courters to win a t-shirt.

Looks like the halftime show cancelled. Curious to see who sings the national anthem. Usually school groups but doubt that will be the case. Maybe the crowd can sing it?

No halftime show listed on the email I just got. Let some students or fans shoot half courters to win a t-shirt.

As of now the band will still be there. So probably them if whoever was scheduled isn't there.

used to live in Alaska where I was born, never cancelled anything due to cold. Once drove a car that had a giant crack in the dashboard from hitting a bump in extreme cold, but it ran fine since it had an engine heater.

Top Bottom