Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do Great Players Make Horrible Coaches?

Great players who could not transition to coaching. The list is long...Wayne Gretzky, Isaiah Thomas, Bart Starr...Lindsay Whalen? Look at what she has done with a team coming off a 24-9 record. Or, was it simply a reach to hire a coach with no coaching experience? Personally, I'd like to see what Ryan Saunders could do if not retained by the Wolves. The next Geno Auriemma?

Or is the team just not very good?

Good God! Already?

Ever heard of Dawn Staley?

Yep, she's a good one. I hope we just don't have Cheryl Littlejohn 2.0...

Sheryl Swoopes?

Although I'm not ready to give Whalen any votes for the Coaches Hall of Fame, I will say that anyone who has watched the games this year should be well aware that the Gophers are short on talent. The bench is woeful. We were hoping that Staples would be able to step in and contribute and she hasn't been able to, Perez and Kaposi are seniors and they're still not able to contribute consistently, Byrne might not be able to compete at the BIG level, Bell turns it over too often, Brunson isn't much of an offensive factor, and Pitts has been in a shooting slump at least half the year. Hubbard would have certainly helped, but not even to make the Gophers more than a middle of the pack BIG team. Bottom line, this team just doesn't have even talent; they're not very good. They are a couple shooters short and about three bench players short.

Before we get down on Whalen, look at Dawn Staley's start at South Caroline. First two seasons her record was 10-18 and 2-12 in the SEC in 08-09. Then next year went 14-15 overall and 7-9 in conference. her breakout year was her 4th year at 25-10 and 10-6 in SEC. they made the sweet 16 that year. How about we give whalen a few seasons and a few of her own recruiting classes.

Quote Originally Posted by bball_craz_26 View Post
    Before we get down on Whalen, look at Dawn Staley's start at South Caroline. First two seasons her record was 10-18 and 2-12 in the SEC in 08-09. Then next year went 14-15 overall and 7-9 in conference. her breakout year was her 4th year at 25-10 and 10-6 in SEC. they made the sweet 16 that year. How about we give whalen a few seasons and a few of her own recruiting classes.
    I agree, Whay to early to tell. She seems humble and willing to learn. Recruiting is the obvious key and it will be critical to her success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone think that the previous coach would have done better with this year's version of the Gophers?

Absolutely not. You mean the previous Staff who has two All-Americans (Banhan and Zahui) and a freshman Wagner gifted to them? Also it was two seasons ago Stollings team went 15-17 with Bell, Wagner and freshman Brunson, Taiye and Hubbard. Lets not forgot Taiye would probably be playing the center position so may not be the double-double machine she has turned into.

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Anyone think that the previous coach would have done better with this year's version of the Gophers?

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Stollings is last at 1/7 in Big 12 conference. Not sure she would have made a difference, assuming her players are of similar capabilities as Gophers. She does have one good recruit for next year.

IMHO, Gophers have poor offense and inability to make the easier shots. Maybe some of this is on Whalen, but imagine what the score would be with some made baskets, either by this team or better players.

Whalen needs a few years.

Imagine what the scores would look like with last year's defense as well.

What happened this year? Out of conference, we were beating everyone. Now it looks like we cant beat anyone.

We were winning games in the non-conference schedule, but we weren't beating anyone. Have you looked back at the non-conference schedule?