Gabe is better now than he was when the season started.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Here is my analysis. No one can tell me I'm wrong.

Yes, this should be obvious. But the changes in his game are palpable, despite his 3pt % going down from earlier in the year (I think, I didn't check this)

1. SHOT FAKE! After a blazing hot start from deep, teams started running out at Gabe to defend his "open" 3s. After a few games of this, he has adjusted to a shot fake, dribble to the side to create space and taking a wide open 3. I'm not sure if he is making these but he they are great looks. And he'll make them. And man, some day he might just drop like 40.

2. Dribble penetration. Gabe isn't a one trick pony. Athletic and skilled enough to get to the rim, or at least towards the lane. Mid-range shots can be his best friend and I like him on the free throw line. Only 73% on the season but taking less than 2 per game. I think he is good there and confident. Which leads me to my third point...

3. Ice. In. His. Veins. Maybe this isn't an improvement but its something that has occurred at least 3 times (I'd say more) in this young season. Washington game winner. Icy. Michigan game tying 3. Icy. Weird, mid-range fadeaway to push the lead back to 6 and stymie an Iowa run. ICY. Some dudes make shots. Gabe is one of those dudes. (also had a nasty 3 pointer followed by taking a charge to get Mr. Momentum back with the home team vs Iowa).

In conclusion, Gabe is better. He will keep improving. His ceiling is super high and I think he is already above his floor. The effort and shooting stroke matter but he is clicking. Not sure if its coaching, experience or both but I love it. An unheralded (kinda) recruit from just down the street is delivering. Big time. And I think when Gabe is a junior or senior he has a chance to be a really super player + fan favorite.

Gabe is going to be an awesome player (already is pretty decent). The Gophers are lucky to have him

so glad he is a gopher. I don't think any of us expected him to be this kind of player as a freshman!

Great analysis, thanks. Yes, he does have a really quick first step and is dangerous because he has 4 options when he is open at the 3 pt line:

1. Shoot over the charging defender
2. Shot fake, step to the side, shoot around the defender (as you mentioned).
3. Drive around the charging defender and pull up for a mid-range jumper.
4. Drive around the charging defender and continue all the way to the hoop.

He's shown he is capable of all of these. He's a dangerous weapon. If he can cash in on those first two at a higher rate, look out.

Gabe is going to be an awesome player (already is pretty decent). The Gophers are lucky to have him

Really a good player. Way under recruited. Fantastic feel for the game. Can tell who he played for as his fundamentals are strong. Preprioception, anticipation, court saavy, plays with his head up. Very sophisticated understanding of gaps and sides.

Should have added if you have one of him at every level you win conference titles.

Already one of the best perimeter defenders in the conference, IMO. Bohannon was absolutely clamped up yesterday. Completely taken out of the game by Kalschuer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ditto for Oturu. Need to stack recruiting classes now. Reranking for rivals comes out tomorrow I think. Will ne interesting where our recruit is placed.

Last edited:

Already one of the best perimeter defenders in the conference, IMO. Bohannon was absolutely clamped up yesterday. Completely taken out of the game by Kalschuer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Awesome observation. Great pre scout on that as well.

Great analysis, thanks. Yes, he does have a really quick first step and is dangerous because he has 4 options when he is open at the 3 pt line:

1. Shoot over the charging defender
2. Shot fake, step to the side, shoot around the defender (as you mentioned).
3. Drive around the charging defender and pull up for a mid-range jumper.
4. Drive around the charging defender and continue all the way to the hoop.

He's shown he is capable of all of these. He's a dangerous weapon. If he can cash in on those first two at a higher rate, look out.

And he usually does all of these under control. Rare that you see him shooting an off-balance wing-and-a-prayer shot with limbs flailing in all directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for participating. Glad others see what I do. Gabe deserved his own thread.

I was going to mention his defense but I think its been similarly strong all year.

My dad said today “he is the kind of guy who becomes your favorite player” and I think that is very true for a lot of us.

Thanks for participating. Glad others see what I do. Gabe deserved his own thread.

I was going to mention his defense but I think its been similarly strong all year.

My dad said today “he is the kind of guy who becomes your favorite player” and I think that is very true for a lot of us.
his confidence and overall demeanor reminds me of Nate Mason a bit. Mason got a little excitable/demonstrative by his Junior and Senior year (well deserved), but overall Mason just had this calmness about him that his teammates gravitated to. I think Gave has a similar mindset. Really exciting to see.

On another note, you have to wonder if Gabe will save Pitino's career here. Oturu, as everyone expected, appears to be a solid B1G Center. Hitting on Gabe, who could be one of the best wings in the conference when it is all said in done, will really give Pitino the cachet he needs to survive any tournament disappointments the next year or two

He has also cut down on his fouls lately, so fun to think about how good he will be the next 3 years!

I don't really think of a him as a guy with a high ceiling.

He'll improve sure, but I don't think he's going to get all that much better, which is fine considering how solid he is already.

He'll improve sure, but I don't think he's going to get all that much better, which is fine considering how solid he is already.

Well, hard to tell. Despite his early season success, he still had a tendency to defer because of being a freshman who wasn't all that heralded playing with veteran players. That's why the Iowa game was a big challenge and opportunity for him. He was put in multiple situations where he had to carry the scoring load and he delivered. Players often take a significant step from the freshman to the soph year. I think he might be a little more assertive as the season goes on and will be more confident as a veteran next year.

On another note, you have to wonder if Gabe will save Pitino's career here. Oturu, as everyone expected, appears to be a solid B1G Center. Hitting on Gabe, who could be one of the best wings in the conference when it is all said in done, will really give Pitino the cachet he needs to survive any tournament disappointments the next year or two

I guess we'll see about getting to the tournament next year. Unless Pitino picks up some quality players this spring (certainly possible), the team likely would be less successful next season than this season. Losing the #2 rebounder in Big Ten history (and the most consistent performer of the Pitino era) is bound to have some impact. He should also try to get another Matz type as a grad transfer.

I see why you might say this, as he is not like some Uber-athletic guy who needs to learn how to play (Omersa). Gabe is already a good player, so tough to move up a lot from that level. Where I see him improving a lot is driving to the hoop more and pulling up or using a floater. He has done a little of that, but he could become a really high-volume scorer with honing those shots in addition to his threes.

Current Gabe = Good

Potential Future Gabe = Current Gabe + More Aggressive + Slightly Improved Ball Handling = Great

Potential Future Gabe should be able to create his own shot more consistently than Current Gabe.

Yes, this should be obvious. But the changes in his game are palpable, despite his 3pt % going down from earlier in the year (I think, I didn't check this)

1. SHOT FAKE! After a blazing hot start from deep, teams started running out at Gabe to defend his "open" 3s. After a few games of this, he has adjusted to a shot fake, dribble to the side to create space and taking a wide open 3. I'm not sure if he is making these but he they are great looks. And he'll make them. And man, some day he might just drop like 40.

2. Dribble penetration. Gabe isn't a one trick pony. Athletic and skilled enough to get to the rim, or at least towards the lane. Mid-range shots can be his best friend and I like him on the free throw line. Only 73% on the season but taking less than 2 per game. I think he is good there and confident. Which leads me to my third point...

3. Ice. In. His. Veins. Maybe this isn't an improvement but its something that has occurred at least 3 times (I'd say more) in this young season. Washington game winner. Icy. Michigan game tying 3. Icy. Weird, mid-range fadeaway to push the lead back to 6 and stymie an Iowa run. ICY. Some dudes make shots. Gabe is one of those dudes. (also had a nasty 3 pointer followed by taking a charge to get Mr. Momentum back with the home team vs Iowa).

In conclusion, Gabe is better. He will keep improving. His ceiling is super high and I think he is already above his floor. The effort and shooting stroke matter but he is clicking. Not sure if its coaching, experience or both but I love it. An unheralded (kinda) recruit from just down the street is delivering. Big time. And I think when Gabe is a junior or senior he has a chance to be a really super player + fan favorite.

I agree, I think he has improved. What I like most is his assertiveness, confidence, understanding we struggle to score (However you quantify it) ....his willingness to hunt for shots. The shot fake, the runner...he's looking to score and we desperately need him to do so this year. His awareness or realization of that need to help the team is exciting. I think he will look to become a greater scoring threat next year.

Defensively he is sound and willing.

I thought he'd play...certainly didn't think he'd be this efficient, versatile or dependable.

Awesome! Go Gophers!

Oh, and Omersa has made some contributions...he has upside. He was great...albeit for Omersa at Michigan.

The Freshmen are delivering above the floor set for them and Oturu and Gabe are projecting way above expectations.

Current Gabe = Good

Potential Future Gabe = Current Gabe + More Aggressive + Slightly Improved Ball Handling = Great

Potential Future Gabe should be able to create his own shot more consistently than Current Gabe.

I think Gabe could be better without being more aggressive or improving his ball handling one bit.

If he could just learn to be more catch and shoot and Pitino could develop some set plays that work for him he's improved significantly. Right now his threat has been wide open threes and the newly developed pump fake, dribble hop step and shoot. That leads me to believe he can develop the quick release and work on moving around screens.

Maintain his ability to get to the rim on occasion and work on improving his defense and he'll make us forget about Blake Hoffarber.

You didn't mention anything about his defense. Huge omission. His defense has been very good this year and he is becoming an elite defender in his freshman year.

Probably not going to be the most popular post, but seems to me to have a very similar game to Brad Davison, of course cant match the grittiness and leadership skills as Gabe didnt play high school quarterback. (Actually serms like Brad is making an effort to tone things down, good for him.). I would say Gabe possibly has more upside as he's a year younger.

Probably not going to be the most popular post, but seems to me to have a very similar game to Brad Davison, of course cant match the grittiness and leadership skills as Gabe didnt play high school quarterback. (Actually serms like Brad is making an effort to tone things down, good for him.). I would say Gabe possibly has more upside as he's a year younger.
I'm hoping Gabe doesn't regress his sophomore year

You didn't mention anything about his defense. Huge omission. His defense has been very good this year and he is becoming an elite defender in his freshman year.

I did later. And explained why I didn't include it. Because it hasn't improved throughout the year. He has always been a good defender. The thread wasn't meant to highlight everything he does well.

I did later. And explained why I didn't include it. Because it hasn't improved throughout the year. He has always been a good defender. The thread wasn't meant to highlight everything he does well.

No problem.

Top Bottom