Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Default All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

I have some heavy work travel in the next 4-6 weeks and am looking for recommendations on a new TV series to download and bring on my ipad.

Thanks to this board, I got the recommendation of catching up on Dexter and loved it. I watched all 5 seasons on various planes over the last year or so. I look forward to Season 6 in a few months to download.

I was thinking about starting Season 1 of The Wire and methodically working my way through that series and then eventually getting to Boardwalk Empire. Is there another series I should consider before those?

Thanks.

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    I have some heavy work travel in the next 4-6 weeks and am looking for recommendations on a new TV series to download and bring on my ipad.

Thanks to this board, I got the recommendation of catching up on Dexter and loved it. I watched all 5 seasons on various planes over the last year or so. I look forward to Season 6 in a few months to download.

I was thinking about starting Season 1 of The Wire and methodically working my way through that series and then eventually getting to Boardwalk Empire. Is there another series I should consider before those?

Thanks.

Go Gophers!!
    Thanks to all of the posters who recommended The Wire some months ago. I watched about one episode a day last summer and finished it right about when I had to go back to work. Great series-one of the best of all time.

I'd go with that first imo.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

I'm not sure if you're into comedy but if you've never watched south park catching up on that would be more than enough AND good for a laugh. If you're not into that what about House?

EDIT:
    Just thought I'd point out I don't watch a lot of TV so I have no idea what the shows you mentioned are, so wasn't able to find one that is likely similar that I watch.

I really enjoyed Bored to Death (HBO). It's based on the work of one of my favorite pervy authors, Jonathan Ames.

If you need a comedy break, Parks & Recreation is the funniest show on television. Start with Season 2 though. Lots of inside Midwestern jokes, like the hunting episode and having Detlef Schrempf guest star.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokomis
    If you need a comedy break, Parks & Recreation is the funniest show on television. Start with Season 2 though. Lots of inside Midwestern jokes, like the hunting episode and having Detlef Schrempf guest star.
    Seconded.

Community, Parks and Rec, 30 rock for comedy. (Community is my favorite but its very weird and not for everyone) Sons of Anarchy, Justified, and Breaking Bad for drama.(Breaking bad being the best of the 3) The Wire is the best show of all time so you can not go wrong with that show. (Just be prepared for the first season feeling outdated with pagers and pay phones)

Also you should watch No Reservations on the city you are going to and find some cool non chain restaurants to hit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brew_recruit View Post
    Community, Parks and Rec, 30 rock for comedy. (Community is my favorite but its very weird and not for everyone) Sons of Anarchy, Justified, and Breaking Bad for drama.(Breaking bad being the best of the 3) The Wire is the best show of all time so you can not go wrong with that show. (Just be prepared for the first season feeling outdated with pagers and pay phones)

Also you should watch No Reservations on the city you are going to and find some cool non chain restaurants to hit up.
    I could never get on board with Community, too inconsistent in their format and approach. Same reason I never really liked Scrubs. The last few seasons of 30 Rock were unwatchable IMO, same jokes every episode; love the first few seasons, but a complete dropoff. Keeping with NBC shows, The Office has had a HUGE turnaround. They almost lost me there for awhile. James Spader was the perfect replacement for Carell, complete opposite and even more funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Brew_recruit View Post
    Breaking Bad for drama.(Breaking bad being the best of the 3)
    +1000

Hadn't watched a minute of it until a recommendation, and then devoured episode after episode. Drove my wife crazy coming to bed at 1 am night after night.

The Wire, The Wire, and then The Wire. Best show ever, IMHO. Every season is interesting, but season 4 is one of the finest things ever created (my apologies for the hyperbole, just really a huge fan).

As my bromance partner WAG already affirmed and Nokomis advanced, Parks and Rec is comedy gold-just a great show, with every character filling their niche excellently.
    These are, I must admit, some of my favorite kind of fans. I think sometimes about that line in Woody Allen’s “Crimes and Misdemeanors,” — the main character’s father, a deeply religious man, is asked: “And if all of your faith is wrong … just what if?”

And the man says: “I’d still have a better life than all those that doubt.”
    -Joe Posnanski

Thanks for the suggestions all - The Wire it is! Way too many people calling it the best ever for me not to invest myself in it! I hope to be able to crank out the first two seasons on this trip a few weeks out.

Go Gophers!!

If you like comedy, Modern Family and the first few seasons of The Office. Great writing.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiche View Post
    If you like comedy, Modern Family and the first few seasons of The Office. Great writing.
    We got a late start on Modern Family but are now fully caught up. I must say, that it is the one show that I consistently find myself laughing out loud. I love The Office/Seinfeld/seasons 5-12 of The Simpsons, etc., but I don't think I ever consistently laughed out loud like I regularly do for Modern Family. Just a fantastic show.

Go Gophers!!

I think Seinfeld is still funny but the laugh track hurts it now, Curb is much funnier to be these days.

I can't believe no body has mentioned Mad Men yet. IMO it's the best show on TV, although I will admit I haven't watched The Wire. Amazing cast, Jon Hamm is great as Don Draper, John Slattery is also great as Roger Sterling, hell everyone is great. Plus January Jones looks amazing, and Christina Hendricks curves are out of this world.

Also I would like to thank everyone for not listing some average at best CBS sitcom or crime drama.