***OFFICIAL IOWA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

How manyof those teams lost by 27 to a team that hadn't won a league game yet?

Is there a difference between a 27 point loss and a 15 point loss?
I’d say no.

Efficiency rankings assume all possessions are of equal importance. Not even close to being true.
When you are up 25 in November in a non-conference game it is not the same as a close game thanksgiving weekend.
When you are down 12 with a minute to play against Maryland, those possessions are not as important as the last minute of a two point game versus Michigan.

Last edited:

Was it just me or was that one of the most entertaining Gopher basketball games we have had for a while. Nebraska this year was fun too, but the number of highlight plays Coffey, and then number of very good plays from almost everyone that played. Iowa looks to be a very decent team. Garza, Moss, and Cook are all good players and the Gophers had enough depth to counter. The crowd sounded lively as well.

Was it just me or was that one of the most entertaining Gopher basketball games we have had for a while. Nebraska this year was fun too, but the number of highlight plays Coffey, and then number of very good plays from almost everyone that played. Iowa looks to be a very decent team. Garza, Moss, and Cook are all good players and the Gophers had enough depth to counter. The crowd sounded lively as well.

The McBrayer behind the back then to Coffey was one of the best plays in the past 5 seasons or so

Iowa reverted to their past defensive tendencies, which is basically none. Always fun to see great skill plays, but I am putting an asterisk next to them because the Hawkeyes showed little to no desire to even want to stop them. The system under Fran has been to outscore opponents, not stop them, and it gets some entertaining games like last night, but doesn't work long haul. I know they have some really good players and shooters, but if they don't play D, they are going to get clipped by someone like Rutgers or others. Really entertaining game, though, you are absolutely right.

Iowa reverted to their past defensive tendencies, which is basically none. Always fun to see great skill plays, but I am putting an asterisk next to them because the Hawkeyes showed little to no desire to even want to stop them. The system under Fran has been to outscore opponents, not stop them, and it gets some entertaining games like last night, but doesn't work long haul. I know they have some really good players and shooters, but if they don't play D, they are going to get clipped by someone like Rutgers or others. Really entertaining game, though, you are absolutely right.

Good points. I thought the defense by Garza was especially weak, but maybe he is being coached to not pick up fouls. He still ended up in foul trouble, but Murphy was able to dribble once, go around him, and dunk repeatedly. Garza is a special offensive player though.
Iowa's press gave the Gophers fits again just like it did the past few years. They have some length and cause disruptions in the open floor on defense.

87 points is a lot to give up. Looked like gophers game plan was to deny the 3 at all costs. Especially without Oturu we were getting hurt inside but never doubled down or switched to zone. Bohanon and Weiskamp got nothing which certainly helped us, and Moss made challenged shots. Seems the question is, could we have done something more to limit them in the paint without giving up open 3 point shots.

87 points is a lot to give up. Looked like gophers game plan was to deny the 3 at all costs. Especially without Oturu we were getting hurt inside but never doubled down or switched to zone. Bohanon and Weiskamp got nothing which certainly helped us, and Moss made challenged shots. Seems the question is, could we have done something more to limit them in the paint without giving up open 3 point shots.

I think most impressive is that the Gophers won playing into Iowa's game. Playing short-handed, coming off a stretch of not shooting well, and essentially beating the Hawkeyes at their own game took some heart. It won't happen often they can give up 87 and win, but it was cool for one night.

Iowa doesn't guard much of anything, but you still have to move the ball and make shots. That's the best the Gophers have moved the ball consistently all season, and the result was open shots most of the game. 25 assists on 32 made shots, that's outstanding.

The game got tense when Iowa ramped up its press and the Gophers passed the ball side-to-side. They got dunks and open shots when the ball got to the middle of the floor. My favorite play was three passes in the Iowa zone for a lay-up. Great to see IW and Stockman provide valuable minutes. I was concerned Stockman wouldn't have a great match-up inside with his lack of physicality, but he was outstanding.

KenPom isn't the end-all be-all of rankings, it's a measure of predictability and is largely based on offensive and defensive efficiency. Not so much who you win or lose to, but more so how you play in a given game.

Gotta protect your home court Wednesday against Illinois, more than anything to show that loss in Champagne was just a weird, off night for everybody. Illinois had more energy that night, and nobody played well for the Gophers. Beat the Illini and you're 6-4 through the first 10 in the league, I think we would all take that. Especially since we go to Purdue after that, and they just handled MSU at home.

Remaining home games: Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Purdue
Remaining road games: Purdue, Michigan State, Nebraska, Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland

Win your home games and find a way to beat Nebraska, Rutgers and Northwestern.

Is your name Todd by any chance? My friend with that name texted me the same thing during the game :cool:

No. But it's only natural for long-time Gopher fans who have seen dozens of blown leads. I don't get why some get so twisted up about it. This years team seems to have mastered stopping the train just before it goes off the cliff, so I'll give them that. This is at least the 3rd time they've had a 13 + point lead in the last 10 minutes and let the opponent storm back to within 4 points (A&M, Ok St, Iowa). You can say all's well that ends well, but these new rankings are punishing us for not closing out some double digit wins.

Last edited:

We had a Hawkeye fan and his daughter next to us last night. Very nice people - guy was obviously a former BB player. His complaint was exactly your comment. He said it early and late. I was grateful for the win as I really hate losing at home when near opposing fans! It brings out the worst in me.
EDIT: Oh, and he said he is very glad Murphy is graduating! It was fun to hear him telling his daughter to watch Murph rebound.

We had a Hawkeye fan and his daughter next to us last night. Very nice people - guy was obviously a former BB player. His complaint was exactly your comment. He said it early and late. I was grateful for the win as I really hate losing at home when near opposing fans! It brings out the worst in me.
EDIT: Oh, and he said he is very glad Murphy is graduating! It was fun to hear him telling his daughter to watch Murph rebound.

All fan bases complain. Iowa is loaded with shooters, so they grouse about defense. We don't have shooters, so we complain about no shooting. Everyone stalls against a zone, so every fan base complains that their team has no zone offense. There is almost nothing new under the sun.

I have some really good friends who are Purdue fans who complained that the Boilers nearly let one get away against MSU in a ten point win. Nothing surprises me. It's a spiritual disease to refuse to enjoy victory.

Would be fun to see where Gopher fans actually would rank this team nationally but of course it is futile because most fans have not watched other team closely without some level of dislike for other teams, especially the really good teams. .................Most fans would say Purdue is too high with those loses but to me they look really good and have played a pretty tough schedule.

For the record, I think Purdue is a very good team (top 3 in the conference).

Your other observations are interesting. In many cases, I've noticed that some particularly homer oriented fans barely even watch the opposing team during a game. I once had a blogger who ran a fan site for an NBA team admit this to me. He was complaining how badly his NBA team played in a game they won in overtime. I told him that I saw something different: the team overcame a couple of tremendous performances by two players on the opposing team. He said that was possible because he doesn't really pay attention to the players on the other team.

For the record, I think Purdue is a very good team (top 3 in the conference).

Your other observations are interesting. In many cases, I've noticed that some particularly homer oriented fans barely even watch the opposing team during a game. I once had a blogger who ran a fan site for an NBA team admit this to me. He was complaining how badly his NBA team played in a game they won in overtime. I told him that I saw something different: the team overcame a couple of tremendous performances by two players on the opposing team. He said that was possible because he doesn't really pay attention to the players on the other team.

Our team can never lose because the other team is better. It can only lose because we had and off night or the refs were bad-typical Wisconsin fan.

Was at the game yesterday and it was one of the most fun games and maybe most fun halves (1st) I can ever remember seeing. I thought the team performance was great and if not for some timely 3s and some goofy looking moves around the rim from Garza by Iowa, they would have been run of there by 20. (Also Tyler Cook can play) For the Gophers, Gabe impressed me so much. When he was on the bench for a breather during the second half the offense really didn't look as solid (Also didn't help coffey was on the bench during that same stretch) but I love Gabes confidence and man even if he misses a few in a row he isn't afraid to pull the trigger whenever he is open which is something that can't always be said about other players on the team (Love McBrayer but he passed up some wide open 3s (Did have a great assist to Gabe on one tho)). Basically Gabe really helps space out the floor for players like Murphy, Curry, and Coffey and the Gophers biggest weakness is against those zone type Ds. Also, his driving to the basket abilities seemed to have improved since the start of the year so if players are going to press hard to close out the 3 he can take it by them off the dribble. Yea amazing he is only a Frosh.

Lastly, I am just amazed that refs let Fran go on a minute long rant at them yesterday and didn't T him up. Honestly, I wonder if Iowa fans are embarrassed by him because it seems to be a nightly occurrence (He let a ref have it no less than 30 seconds into the game). I know we love to debate our coaches on here, but I gotta say I am not sure our board would be particularly kind if that was the behavior from Pitino.

Last edited:

Was at the game yesterday and it was one of the most fun games and maybe most fun halves (1st) I can ever remember seeing. I thought the team performance was great and if not for some timely 3s and some goofy looking moves around the rim from Garza by Iowa, they would have been run of there by 20. (Also Tyler Cook can play) For the Gophers, Gabe impressed me so much. When he was on the bench for a breather during the second half the offense really didn't look as solid (Also didn't help coffey was on the bench during that same stretch) but I love Gabes confidence and man even if he misses a few in a row he isn't afraid to pull the trigger whenever he is open which is something that can't always be said about other players on the team (Love McBrayer but he passed up some wide open 3s (Did have a great assist to Gabe on one tho)). Basically Gabe really helps space out the floor for players like Murphy, Curry, and Coffey and the Gophers biggest weakness is against those zone type Ds. Also, his driving to the basket abilities seemed to have improved since the start of the year so if players are going to press hard to close out the 3 he can take it by them off the dribble. Yea amazing he is only a Frosh.

Lastly, I am just amazed that refs let Fran go on a minute long rant at them yesterday and didn't T him up. Honestly, I wonder if Iowa fans are embarrassed by him because it seems to be a nightly occurrence for him (He let a ref have it no less than 30 seconds into the game). I know we love to debate our coaches on here, but I gotta say I am not sure our board would be particularly kind if that was the behavior from Pitino.
Yes, very fun win!
We sat by an Iowa dad and his daughter, and yes, he was embarrassed as he explained to her what and why people were chanting ('T him up'). At one point, it was clear a ref was very close.

Came up to the cities for my first game this season. One thought I had was how fun it was to watch the pace and athleticism displayed. Which led to the thought of how glad I am that we dont play Badger-style ball. Am sure I could learn to cope if it meant elite 8s and final 4s, but the fast paced game just so much more fun to watch. I would have to imagine if Gard were to slip, Badger fans would pretty quickly be clamoring for a coach who would bring more up tempo style.

Some of you must know, what is the ‘TM’ mean on the uniforms?

Lastly, I am just amazed that refs let Fran go on a minute long rant at them yesterday and didn't T him up. Honestly, I wonder if Iowa fans are embarrassed by him because it seems to be a nightly occurrence (He let a ref have it no less than 30 seconds into the game). I know we love to debate our coaches on here, but I gotta say I am not sure our board would be particularly kind if that was the behavior from Pitino.

Maybe even more important then the embarrassing part of McCaffery's little act is that it is so consistent and persistent that as a ref you would just laugh it off. The best coaches reserve the moments of pure rage displays for when you need to make the refs realize that may have been wrong and then consciously or subconsciously give you the next call. Fran is outraged from the opening tip. Makes it very easy for a ref to tune out.

Maybe even more important then the embarrassing part of McCaffery's little act is that it is so consistent and persistent that as a ref you would just laugh it off. The best coaches reserve the moments of pure rage displays for when you need to make the refs realize that may have been wrong and then consciously or subconsciously give you the next call. Fran is outraged from the opening tip. Makes it very easy for a ref to tune out.

Fran is the worst. Can't stand him.

Top Bottom