***OFFICIAL IOWA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Certainly the best half court offense in a long time. Did we discover something or is Iowa's D just that bad?

Iowa's defense is brutal, but we hit shots.

Murphy hit his three, Washington hit his three.........we were nailing shots that we normally miss.

Nice to have a third option at center that isn't a huge liability on either end of the court. Matz received a number of good ovations when he left the court tonight.

In KenPom gophers now have 4 top 35 wins.
2 home, 1 road, 1 neutral.

Better record than 3 of those four teams.

Yet not even in top 50.

Efficiency ratings bother me because winning is less important than losing pretty.

Absolutely. Isn't the whole point to win?

We moved up a whole 3 spots in Kenpom after that victory to 57, while 3-6 in B1G play Northwestern, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Indiana are all way ahead of us.

We moved up a whole 3 spots in Kenpom after that victory to 57, while 3-6 in B1G play Northwestern, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Indiana are all way ahead of us.

Yeah. I’ve always hated Kenpom

If gophers hit a couple garbage shots and lose to Illinois, Maryland, and Boston college by 5 each even though the games were never in doubt late....the season is literally not different at all but we would be ranked a couple of spots higher.

In net rankings they put a cap on victory margin at 10 because in reality there is no difference between a 12 and 18 point loss. But they don’t cap it in efficiency ratings. Which is dumb.

Sometimes a 20 point loss is a ton worse than a 14 point loss. Sometimes it isn’t. Effiency rankings take that difference the same as the difference between a 3 point win and a 3 point loss.

That was about as fun and entertaining of a game as I've seen the Gophers play in awhile. It was also a great learning experience as I learned that Stockman was from Sweden and Coffey is Dr. J.

Stockman is from Oslo Norway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean to rag on the "expert" and/or model predictions (oh wait, yes I do), but I'm sure they had the outcome of this game wrong, and I'm sure they will have the outcomes of some of the other games wrong. I read posts from a few people predicting gloom over the second half of the conference season based on these predictions, but, fortunately for the Gophers, the predictions are based on PAST performances and will have NO impact on future performances.

Yes, the much-worshipped “NET” algorithm certainly got this one wrong.

Rediculous. I’m losing respect for those metrics.

How manyof those teams lost by 27 to a team that hadn't won a league game yet?

Which of those teams has a winning record against the Top 25? Cause there is only one.

An occasional bad loss shouldn't matter much at all. Perhaps the bigger problem is that four of our five losses were by double digits whereas our power conference wins (other than Rutgers) were close.

An occasional bad loss shouldn't matter much at all. Perhaps the bigger problem is that four of our five losses were by double digits whereas our power conference wins (other than Rutgers) were close.

Yeah that's what I was getting it. We have some really bad and big losses. We have some good wins on our resume but it would have taken beating Michigan for people to forget the epic loss to Illinois. Illinois beating maryland and continuing to win may help us.

The same “awful” team that won on the road at Maryland? This league is as good as advertised. There aren’t really any awful teams.

Yes, the much-worshipped “NET” algorithm certainly got this one wrong.

Hopefully, the selection committee has some flexibility and aren’t required to strictly follow an untested new metric if it is proven to be flawed. If the metric is calling for them to pick teams lower in the conference standings over a team they have lost to and is much higher in the conference standings.... the metric is F’d up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The same “awful” team that won on the road at Maryland? This league is as good as advertised. There aren’t really any awful teams.

Like I said if they keep winning that may help us. But that loss was a horrible loss to a horrible team (at the time). None of our wins over barely ranked opponents overcome how bad that loss was.

Watched this one from home and have been too busy to post anything until this moment or even read through this thread. Thrilling win, and the crowd sounded like they were a major factor. Gophers definitely have enough offense to be a tournament team, but can they be consistent about it, and can they play defense consistently? Obviously you can't count on scoring 92 points in order to win games against good teams. Still, gotta give credit to the Hawkeyes, who were as sharp and hot as the Gophers were.

That game was played at the Garden. Not a Maryland home game.

This league is as good as advertised. There aren’t really any awful teams.

Yes, the league doesn't have much in the way of awful teams but it doesn't seem to me to have much in the way of very good ones either. Michigan State, Michigan, and Purdue range from very good to great. Maryland is talented but young. For sure, Wisconsin gets a lot out of their roster but they still seem vulnerable. The rest are up-and-down teams that look capable of playing .500 and below in the league.

Hopefully, the selection committee has some flexibility and aren’t required to strictly follow an untested new metric if it is proven to be flawed. If the metric is calling for them to pick teams lower in the conference standings over a team they have lost to and is much higher in the conference standings.... the metric is F’d up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will not be used for that, But it will be used for teams that are tied in a conference or a similar conference and for seeding. They have to have more than eye test because eye test has a bias. My bias says the Gophers are a number 25 type team when i see all that length and athleticism and the metrics reveal around 55 or so. Fans tens to think whoever their team beats is really good and who they lose to is also really good or that the refs screwed them and that there is a transfer conspiracy. Would be fun to see where Gopher fans actually would rank this team nationally but of course it is futile because most fans have not watched other team closely without some level of dislike for other teams, especially the really good teams. The metrics do not care, they measure how well you play and adjust for schedule. Most fans would say Purdue is too high with those loses but to me they look really good and have played a pretty tough schedule.

I'd much rather the committee look at the teams, not use a metric or algorithm, when deciding the 68 team field. If it comes down to a few teams being really close, you can use the numbers. If you know basketball and watch basketball and care about basketball, its pretty easy to pick a lot of the teams based on records and who they have played. Then you add in a bunch of conference champions who actually aren't that good (usually) but are better than the scrub teams in their conference. So it comes down to what...8 teams that are bubble teams? Just watch those teams, watch tape, look at their rosters. I think its a pretty easy thing to do.

Top Bottom