Rick Barnes, Clem & Yevette Haskins discuss greatest Gopher game ever played: '97 S16

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Rick Barnes, Clem & Yevette Haskins discuss greatest Gopher game ever played: '97 S16

per Pat:

his was the game by which all others must be judged in the modern history of Gophers men’s basketball, even if you no longer can find details in the University of Minnesota’s official record guides:

Gophers 90, Clemson 84, in two overtimes, in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament in San Antonio’s Alamodome on March 20, 1997.

This week, Rick Barnes, then the 42-year-old coach at Clemson, said: “It was one of the great ones ever. Bunch of players on both teams making tremendous plays and being physical for 50 minutes.’’

And Clem Haskins, then the 53-year-old coach of the Gophers, said: “I’ve never been more impressed with two teams — mine and Rick’s. Bobby Jackson was never better … and playing with four fouls.’’

“Do I remember that game? Two overtimes!’’ said Yevette Haskins, Clem’s wife since they were college age. “I still get nervous thinking about it.’’

Clem and Yevette have been back on the farm in Campbellsville, Ky., for two decades, since the brouhaha involving academic papers that were submitted but not written by players cost the coach his job and also official recognition of the Gophers’ one trip to the Final Four, in 1997.

Big-time college coaching has been kinder to Barnes, now 64 and in possession of 678 career wins.

http://www.startribune.com/tennesse...-after-loss-to-gophers-in-sweet-16/504898902/

Go Gophers!!

Here’s that game in case you want to watch it again.
https://youtu.be/PGL2lrbTzfY

Cool...thank you for the link. Gotta find two hours to watch that. Al McGuire was a favorite coaching Marquette and on TV. Michelle looking youthful! (Watched couple minutes in.) Should be fun! I was at Indiana that season when we won from behind with little hope to win...fun times...and at the home games. Go Gophers!

Can someone dissect the entire first half to see if the proper amount of time was on the clock at all times so we can see if Wideman's shot was maybe good after all?

The greatest game of that season was the Indiana game in Bloomington I believe. They were down something like 11 points with under a minute to play and sent it to OT and eventually won. That was a springboard game imo.

It was a great game, but i remember it bitterly. The Gophs should have won in regulation, and Eric Harris was injured in overtime, which essentially ended their national title hopes.

It was a great game, but i remember it bitterly. The Gophs should have won in regulation, and Eric Harris was injured in overtime, which essentially ended their national title hopes.

I don't remember that Harris had an injury, aside from hearing others mention it. What was the injury that occurred?

I don't remember that Harris had an injury, aside from hearing others mention it. What was the injury that occurred?

He injured his shoulder running into a screen. He played the next two games but couldn't shoot and was ineffective. At the time, someone commented that he wasn't strong enough against the Kentucky press, which likely attributed to a couple of his turnovers.

The greatest game of that season was the Indiana game in Bloomington I believe. They were down something like 11 points with under a minute to play and sent it to OT and eventually won. That was a springboard game imo.

I was a child when this took place but remember watching this game with my Dad. And we went nuts. I think it’s when we (and others) officially agreed this team was special. And man, they were special. Loved that squad.

I couldn't agree more!!!! That was an incredible comeback against a Bobby Knight Indiana team in Bloomington! That never happens and I don't think a win like that has happened there since.

I couldn't agree more!!!! That was an incredible comeback against a Bobby Knight Indiana team in Bloomington! That never happens and I don't think a win like that has happened there since.

IMG_1108.jpg

My only road game at Indiana. Pretty good game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom