Shooter: Gophers football, amid dwindling attendance, offering season tix at $35/game

Nope, not good enough to be a "helmet school". Otherwise, the term is meaningless. Minnesota has a huge national championship history/tradition, too, for example. You can't get past the era back when Nebraska beat the Gophers 80-0 or whatever it was. Those days are looooooooooong gone.

The true "helmet schools" of our current times are: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, and probably a couple others.

And like I said -- the actual thing that is relevant for this thread -- if Alabama or Clemson played a game at TCF somehow, would it sell out??? Would Gopher football fans, UMN alumni, and general Twin Cities folks be that morbidly curious to buy a ticket just to see the best college football team in the land? I frankly am not sure.

What's your criteria for helmet school status?

I see you include Ohio State. How about Michigan?

If Ohio State is a helmet school, that pretty much answers your "would it sell out?" question. We have played the Buckeyes at TCF.

Personally, I think the main factor in selling out the stadium is the quality of the Gopher football program. People will pay to see real greatness.

What's your criteria for helmet school status?

I see you include Ohio State. How about Michigan?

If Ohio State is a helmet school, that pretty much answers your "would it sell out?" question. We have played the Buckeyes at TCF.

Personally, I think the main factor in selling out the stadium is the quality of the Gopher football program. People will pay to see real greatness.

Michigan would be far more likely to sell out TCF than Ohio State, is the crazy thing.

But that is because Gopher fans think of Michigan as a "rival" for us, because of the jug and that ancient history.

I would not prefer to play either of them, frankly.

BTW, just ran across this on the wayback machine:

"1997 season football tickets now on sale!"

Mason's first year. Home games against Iowa St., Houston, Purdue, Ohio St., Indiana.

It says there are six home games, but only lists these five. Wisconsin was also here that year

$114 a ticket, or $19 each game. Was it all general admission at the Dome at that time?

According to an inflation calculator, $114 in 1997 dollars would equal $178.45 today. Or less than $30 a game.

So returning to the OP, the U is rolling back prices 22 years ... for a handful of seats in the second-deck corners.

"It's the least we can do. Really."

https://web.archive.org/web/19970523003150/http://www.gophersports.umn.edu/tickets/

JTG

The article in the OP seems to put a spin on this as if $249 season tickets is something new. There haven't been any changes since last year. I'm in section 246 and I paid $249/ticket last year as well.

Nope, not good enough to be a "helmet school". Otherwise, the term is meaningless. Minnesota has a huge national championship history/tradition, too, for example. You can't get past the era back when Nebraska beat the Gophers 80-0 or whatever it was. Those days are looooooooooong gone.

The true "helmet schools" of our current times are: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, and probably a couple others.

And like I said -- the actual thing that is relevant for this thread -- if Alabama or Clemson played a game at TCF somehow, would it sell out??? Would Gopher football fans, UMN alumni, and general Twin Cities folks be that morbidly curious to buy a ticket just to see the best college football team in the land? I frankly am not sure.

Using our crappy fan base as some sort of measuring stick for what is considered to be a helmet school is completely silly. As is comparing our history and tradition to the two schools in question (Penn State and Nebraska).

Par for the course for you, good sir

Last edited:

The article in the OP seems to put a spin on this as if $249 season tickets is something new. There haven't been any changes since last year. I'm in section 246 and I paid $249/ticket last year as well.

Section 246 unite!!

Using our crappy fan base as some sort of measuring stick for what is considered to be a helmet school is completely silly.

Pretending that Nebraska is a helmet school, the same as Alabama ..... that's the kind of silly that only Jim Delany's mother could love.

You do you, sir.

2003 season ticket prices:

7 games -- Tulsa, Troy State, Louisiana Lafayette, Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin

$199.50 ($28.50 per game) includes long-sleeve T-shirt. That's $272.40 in today's dollars. Looks like it was all general admission (or at least same price for all lower-deck seats).

Upper deck end zone seats $99 ($14.15 per game). Still got the long-sleeve T-shirt.

https://web.archive.org/web/2003080...orts.com/Tickets/Football.asp?sport_id=mfball

JTG

I would say Nebraska is a traditional power. Obviously, the program has had some ups and downs more recently, but if you're 40-years-old or older, you remember when Nebraska was a major power. the Oklahoma-Nebraska game every year was a "circle the date" kind of game.

Now, if you're 25-years old, you may not remember Nebraska in the same light. But, considering the average age of the Gopher fan base - Nebraska is still a name to be reckoned with. Same with Penn State.

So no, Nebraska is not in the same caliber as Bama or Clemson - but they're still in a higher rank than many of the other B1G schools. Including that Maroon and Gold school.

to sum up, I would say the "helmet school" designation actually has two categories - current powers and traditional powers. Some schools are in both categories. some schools only fit in one category.

2003 season ticket prices:

7 games -- Tulsa, Troy State, Louisiana Lafayette, Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin

$199.50 ($28.50 per game) includes long-sleeve T-shirt. That's $272.40 in today's dollars. Looks like it was all general admission (or at least same price for all lower-deck seats).

Upper deck end zone seats $99 ($14.15 per game). Still got the long-sleeve T-shirt.

https://web.archive.org/web/2003080...orts.com/Tickets/Football.asp?sport_id=mfball

JTG

Well your two posts on this page make me realize why we are currently having problems filling The Bank. I don't know if it was general admission, My uncle had season tickets while they were at the dome and I thought they sat in the same seats. Maybe they just got their early and went to the same seats. Still seems like this gift is WAY overpriced, and maybe not needed. Lower the Gift Fee and make it a personal seat license for 5 years if you have to, but the stadium isn't new anymore so you can't sell season tickets based on that. You shouldn't lose your season ticket base, because you might not get those people back. Make it attractive to gain new season ticket holders, and even more attractive to keep the present season ticket holders.

Well your two posts on this page make me realize why we are currently having problems filling The Bank. I don't know if it was general admission, My uncle had season tickets while they were at the dome and I thought they sat in the same seats. Maybe they just got their early and went to the same seats. Still seems like this gift is WAY overpriced, and maybe not needed. Lower the Gift Fee and make it a personal seat license for 5 years if you have to, but the stadium isn't new anymore so you can't sell season tickets based on that. You shouldn't lose your season ticket base, because you might not get those people back. Make it attractive to gain new season ticket holders, and even more attractive to keep the present season ticket holders.
It wasn't general admission. I had student tickets that year and it was assigned even for that

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

It wasn't general admission. I had student tickets that year and it was assigned even for that

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I think the seats were assigned, but there was absolutely no mention of higher-priced seats. Just "public" seats, and the second-level cheap seats.

Were the seats assigned on a first-come basis? IDK, but there was no menu of prices like there are today. Looks like you simply got the best available seats at time of purchase.

JTG

The only way they'd do it for no payment would be as a home/home. Now a more interesting idea would be to play two games in two years, one at TCF as a Gopher home game, then the next year at US Bank stadium as an "NDSU home game", where we split the ticket sales with them 50-50 or some fraction. Something like that. Won't happen though.

That's actually a pretty good idea. The Gophers would still have the home-field advantage in both games. Reminds me of when the Gophers played the Minnesota State in hockey at the Xcel for what was a Maverick "home" game. It was weird seeing the Mavericks logo on the ice in the Xcel. But there were still more Gopher fans present.

One thing I know about our home schedule next season: the Gophers will be playing in all those games.

I don't go to a game to see the stupid opponent. If that's what I cared about, I'd get season tickets at Wisconsin or Iowa! I want to the Gophers play (and destroy) whoever their opponent is.

Get out of here with that "boring schedule" crap.

One thing I know about our home schedule next season: the Gophers will be playing in all those games.

I don't go to a game to see the stupid opponent. If that's what I cared about, I'd get season tickets at Wisconsin or Iowa! I want to the Gophers play (and destroy) whoever their opponent is.

Get out of here with that "boring schedule" crap.

In a perfect world, the Gopher fan base would sell out the stadium every week to cheer for the Gophers, no matter who they were playing. But, in the real world, there simply are not enough Gopher fans at this time to make that happen.

So, ticket sales to some extent are going to be driven by the opponent. Fans of the opposing team may buy tickets if they are motivated to travel to follow their team. And casual Gopher fans may buy tickets if the opponent is a 'name' school, or they have some kind of connection. (guy from my hometown plays for other team, etc.) But some fans are going to look at the schedule, say "I don't give a bleep about Opponent X," and they will not be buying tickets for the game. that is a fact of life for teams like the Gophers that are struggling to sell tickets and expand the fan base.

I would say Nebraska is a traditional power. Obviously, the program has had some ups and downs more recently, but if you're 40-years-old or older, you remember when Nebraska was a major power. the Oklahoma-Nebraska game every year was a "circle the date" kind of game.

Now, if you're 25-years old, you may not remember Nebraska in the same light. But, considering the average age of the Gopher fan base - Nebraska is still a name to be reckoned with. Same with Penn State.

So no, Nebraska is not in the same caliber as Bama or Clemson - but they're still in a higher rank than many of the other B1G schools. Including that Maroon and Gold school.

to sum up, I would say the "helmet school" designation actually has two categories - current powers and traditional powers. Some schools are in both categories. some schools only fit in one category.

Summed up perfectly. Have a pat on the back and a nice weekend.

I would say Nebraska is a traditional power.

They had a nice run in the late 90's and early 2000's. Yes, good for them. Back then, people who watched college football on TV around the country (and it was far fewer viewers back then), would all recognize Nebraska. Sure.

Similar, I would say, to the U of Miami.

And then back to the actual point that was being discussed: I do not believe that the U of Miami coming to TCF would sell out, simply because it's the U of Miami playing there. No more than Nebraska would. And the U of Miami, like when USC was here that one year, would have the benefit of being a novelty. Nebraska is here all the time now. They're about the same as Illinois, NW, or Purdue coming to TCF.

They had a nice run in the late 90's and early 2000's. Yes, good for them. Back then, people who watched college football on TV around the country (and it was far fewer viewers back then), would all recognize Nebraska. Sure.

And then back to the actual point that was being discussed: I do not believe that the U of Miami coming to TCF would sell out, simply because it's the U of Miami playing there. No more than Nebraska would. And the U of Miami, like when USC was here that one year, would have the benefit of being a novelty. Nebraska is here all the time now. They're about the same as Illinois, NW, or Purdue coming to TCF.

Heard of Tom Osborne?

Holy cow this is a bad post in every way.

Nebraska is tied for fifth most victories all-time (with Notre Dame), behind only Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, and Alabama.

Miami is 44th. Minnesota is 28th.

Nebraska is tied for fifth most victories all-time (with Notre Dame), behind only Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, and Alabama.

C'mon, Man.

Don' t you know that the only world that really matters was created about ten years ago?

And what, you might ask, existed before that? Dinosaurs.

Hey guess what?

Football was played in leather helmets.

And armies used to wage war by standing in front of each other and firing muskets at each other, until one side died the most. Cool stories!

Anyone know the win % of teams with more all-time victories against teams with fewer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guess what?

And armies used to wage war by standing in front of each other and firing muskets at each other, until one side died the most. Cool stories!

I see someone has been taking a deep, deep dive on Google — boning up on history. Well done!

Here's another one: back in the olden days, people would eat lunch... and they wouldn't even bother to send their friends any pictures of their food!

As the kids like to say, "I know! Right?"

Hey guess what?

This is your comeback post? Wow. How about just admitting it was a dumb post and moving on?

Top Bottom