Shooter: Jerry Kill: “We miss Minnesota a lot — it was a great time in our lives"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shooter: Jerry Kill: “We miss Minnesota a lot — it was a great time in our lives"

per Shooter:

Jerry Kill, the popular former Gophers football coach who is athletics director at Southern Illinois, said he hopes to make it back to Minneapolis for the NCAA Final Four in April.

“We miss Minnesota a lot — it was a great time in our lives, and we’re disappointed it was cut short,” Kill, 58, said last week.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/...eapolis-fred-bryan-will-be-super-bowl-umpire/

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Jerry Kill, the popular former Gophers football coach who is athletics director at Southern Illinois, said he hopes to make it back to Minneapolis for the NCAA Final Four in April.

“We miss Minnesota a lot — it was a great time in our lives, and we’re disappointed it was cut short,” Kill, 58, said last week.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/...eapolis-fred-bryan-will-be-super-bowl-umpire/

Go Gophers!!

Amazing the toll that football and his disease has had on him. Can't believe he's only 58. I wish him health through rest of his life. There were some really good wins after he resurrected the Gophers from the Brewster years.

GM

Wonder if Fleck will ever do anything with Kill at TCF?

Can't see why he would...Jer didn't do anything except some minor bowl games that would PJ want to tie to. Maybe some with warmath if he was still alive as the last big ten title.

I think Kill is upset at the U for the Claeys firing.

Not sure if this is true but I thought I read somewhere that Kill and Fleck don't really get along as well. Something about both have 'Strong Personalities'.

Or my brain made it all up.

I think Kill is upset at the U for the Claeys firing.

Not sure if this is true but I thought I read somewhere that Kill and Fleck don't really get along as well. Something about both have 'Strong Personalities'.

Or my brain made it all up.

I recall this as well. Didn’t they get in an argument at a local HS? IIRC, Kill took offense to PJ often mentioning that he was fixing the culture at the U as Kill took great pride in the Culture he established.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall this as well. Didn’t they get in an argument at a local HS? IIRC, Kill took offense to PJ often mentioning that he was fixing the culture at the U as Kill took great pride in the Culture he established.

I can't argue with PJ. There was room for improvement for sure. Under Jerry it wasn't the same as under Claeys. Similar but it felt more out of control under Claeys. Just my opinion though.

I can't argue with PJ. There was room for improvement for sure. Under Jerry it wasn't the same as under Claeys. Similar but it felt more out of control under Claeys. Just my opinion though.

"felt more out of contrroL???? Like you know, it was one year. Total BS
You have no idea about anything in the program, in 2016 or now, so just stop it.

"felt more out of contrroL???? Like you know, it was one year. Total BS
You have no idea about anything in the program, in 2016 or now, so just stop it.

Take a deep breath. He said it was his opinion. To be fair the scandal happened during that one year

It was more of an (agri)Culture with Kill.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he misses minnesota because he misses the boys he helped turn into men.

Certainly PJ has benefitted from building off the discipline Kill & Co brought to the program. Kill was very tough on the players the first few years post Brewster. He had to be.

That said, I wouldn't say that PJ was "standing on the shoulders of giants". As reflected by our record the first two years.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he misses minnesota because he misses the boys he helped turn into men.
Do you have this line saved in a Word document?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Certainly PJ has benefitted from building off the discipline Kill & Co brought to the program. Kill was very tough on the players the first few years post Brewster. He had to be.

That said, I wouldn't say that PJ was "standing on the shoulders of giants". As reflected by our record the first two years.
Well imagine our record the first 2 years of PJ if our DC wasn't Robb Smith.

When Kill took over at NIU he retained PJ from the previous staff and named him recruiting coordinator. . IMO Kill knew exactly what PJ could deliver and respected his abilities.

Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t Fleck usually say changing the culture instead of fixing the culture?

Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t Fleck usually say changing the culture instead of fixing the culture?

You could be right. I don’t remember the exact words. Only commenting on the “they don’t get along” portion.

I would tend to think that Kill and Fleck are just very different personalities. I could see where they might not be a good fit. Doesn't mean they don't agree on X's and O's - but they just seem like they come from very different worlds in terms of approach and underlying philosophy.

That does NOT mean that one approach is "better" than another. Different means different - not right or wrong.

You DO have this on cut and paste.

Do you have this line saved in a Word document?

I don't think Go4 exists. It's an auto-dial phone service.

Can't see why he would...Jer didn't do anything except some minor bowl games that would PJ want to tie to. Maybe some with warmath if he was still alive as the last big ten title.

You think PJ would want to hide from taking a dumpster fire of a program to a NY bowl?

OK. I hope that's the new bar.

If I were Jerry this would irk me too. He and his staff did a lot to clean up things here, from grades and APR to player retention and off-field conduct. Improved the team to boot. There may have been a culture of accepting good instead of ELITE, but it wasn't a character cesspool here because a few freshmen did something stupid before even attending a class after Jerry had left.

I'm sure many of the values PJF is instilling are very similar to the ones Kill and his crew did, just repackaged more slickly and with more oars.

Jerry might be a bit of a different than PJ, but their program focus on discipline and such aren't incomparable / that different.

I'm sure Jerry has mixed feelings about how things ended and ended up later, but Jerry could have stayed and stepped aside for a while (they said they made that offer) and he chose not to.

Jerry's feelings about the administration probabbly aren't super positive, but i heard he didn't talk to / get along with mega tongue either... I always suspected Jerry would be uncomfortable under any big administration, anywhere. So while he might not agree with the current, it's not like there was going to be one he got along with either.

I feel for Jerry about how it all played out, but he also chose how it ended too. It's strange and sad.

Last edited:

I recall in 2015 the Gophers finished the regular season at 5-7 but earned a bowl game because of their high academic record. So, if I am recalling this correctly, there were many parts of the program that Kill/Claeys had already greatly improved.

Kill and staff did the heavy lifting to improve the program. Fleck has continued the right steps for additional improvement.

I recall in 2015 the Gophers finished the regular season at 5-7 but earned a bowl game because of their high academic record. So, if I am recalling this correctly, there were many parts of the program that Kill/Claeys had already greatly improved.

Kill and staff did the heavy lifting to improve the program. Fleck has continued the right steps for additional improvement.

So true. And for that, I thank them.

Top Bottom