Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by We're Comin' View Post
    Certainly PJ has benefitted from building off the discipline Kill & Co brought to the program. Kill was very tough on the players the first few years post Brewster. He had to be.

That said, I wouldn't say that PJ was "standing on the shoulders of giants". As reflected by our record the first two years.
    Well imagine our record the first 2 years of PJ if our DC wasn't Robb Smith.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

When Kill took over at NIU he retained PJ from the previous staff and named him recruiting coordinator. . IMO Kill knew exactly what PJ could deliver and respected his abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    I recall this as well. Didn’t they get in an argument at a local HS? IIRC, Kill took offense to PJ often mentioning that he was fixing the culture at the U as Kill took great pride in the Culture he established.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t Fleck usually say changing the culture instead of fixing the culture?

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t Fleck usually say changing the culture instead of fixing the culture?
    You could be right. I don’t remember the exact words. Only commenting on the “they don’t get along” portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

I would tend to think that Kill and Fleck are just very different personalities. I could see where they might not be a good fit. Doesn't mean they don't agree on X's and O's - but they just seem like they come from very different worlds in terms of approach and underlying philosophy.

That does NOT mean that one approach is "better" than another. Different means different - not right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Go4 View Post
    ol' jer is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he misses minnesota because he misses the boys he helped turn into men.
    You DO have this on cut and paste.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    Do you have this line saved in a Word document?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
    I don't think Go4 exists. It's an auto-dial phone service.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    Speaking of agriculture, many of your zingers don't get any cornier.
    That is an a maize-ing observation.

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    It was more of an (agri)Culture with Kill.
    Probably a kernel of truth to this. Kill seemed to favor David Cobb.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherVotary View Post
    Probably a kernel of truth to this. Kill seemed to favor David Cobb.
    Not so sure that he did, but don't want to get into a tassel with you about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gophermartin View Post
    Can't see why he would...Jer didn't do anything except some minor bowl games that would PJ want to tie to. Maybe some with warmath if he was still alive as the last big ten title.
    You think PJ would want to hide from taking a dumpster fire of a program to a NY bowl?

OK. I hope that's the new bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    I recall this as well. Didn’t they get in an argument at a local HS? IIRC, Kill took offense to PJ often mentioning that he was fixing the culture at the U as Kill took great pride in the Culture he established.
    If I were Jerry this would irk me too. He and his staff did a lot to clean up things here, from grades and APR to player retention and off-field conduct. Improved the team to boot. There may have been a culture of accepting good instead of ELITE, but it wasn't a character cesspool here because a few freshmen did something stupid before even attending a class after Jerry had left.

I'm sure many of the values PJF is instilling are very similar to the ones Kill and his crew did, just repackaged more slickly and with more oars.

Jerry might be a bit of a different than PJ, but their program focus on discipline and such aren't incomparable / that different.

I'm sure Jerry has mixed feelings about how things ended and ended up later, but Jerry could have stayed and stepped aside for a while (they said they made that offer) and he chose not to.

Jerry's feelings about the administration probabbly aren't super positive, but i heard he didn't talk to / get along with mega tongue either... I always suspected Jerry would be uncomfortable under any big administration, anywhere. So while he might not agree with the current, it's not like there was going to be one he got along with either.

I feel for Jerry about how it all played out, but he also chose how it ended too. It's strange and sad.
    Last edited by A_Slab_of_Bacon; 01-27-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Blog Entries

I recall in 2015 the Gophers finished the regular season at 5-7 but earned a bowl game because of their high academic record. So, if I am recalling this correctly, there were many parts of the program that Kill/Claeys had already greatly improved.

Kill and staff did the heavy lifting to improve the program. Fleck has continued the right steps for additional improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTXGopher View Post
    I recall in 2015 the Gophers finished the regular season at 5-7 but earned a bowl game because of their high academic record. So, if I am recalling this correctly, there were many parts of the program that Kill/Claeys had already greatly improved.

Kill and staff did the heavy lifting to improve the program. Fleck has continued the right steps for additional improvement.
    So true. And for that, I thank them.