Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1972 Ohio State Game Anniversary

I was listening to Barreiro on the way home...I know, I know, but he was talking about the legacy of that game. Now I know I have read some threads, either on here or other boards about the brawl. Barreiro seemed like the narrative he wanted to go with was that this was almost 100% on the Gopher players and that anything to the contrary is simply trying to justify it.

Sorry if this has been discussed on here before, but I want to hear recollections or eyewitness information about this. Was it all on the Gophers? Did Witte do anything to precipitate or any other Buckeyes?

Like WWII and Harry S Truman, this was b/4 my time. However, from what I’ve read Luke Witte was guilty of scoring while white.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

Quote Originally Posted by WoodburyTim View Post
    I was listening to Barreiro on the way home...I know, I know, but
    But what? Dan is a great listen.

Winner of the game would most probably be BIG champion. Williams Arena SRO and rockin'(especially with the Goph's pre-game shtick). VERY physical game from the start. While leaving the floor at halftime, Witte elbows Gopher guard Bob Nix.

KFAN posted a video. Gophers player is helping a guy up and knees him in the junk. 36 seconds left when this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by HOOP DREAMS View Post

Also, this. Smart, insightful and interesting. Doesn’t homer gopher sports but I think thats OK.

Yeah, hate like heck to miss the 47th year anniversary.
    Dux Servus

Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    KFAN posted a video. Gophers player is helping a guy up and knees him in the junk. 36 seconds left when this happened.
    you tube has video

Quote Originally Posted by HOOP DREAMS View Post
    The I know part was that Barreiro is not appreciated by some on here. I like him, but I know some have commented that he isn't significantly pro Gopher.

I have seen the video, but I have also heard from others that there was fighting going on all over and there is really the only one video. You can kind of see in quick shots what appears to be Gophers also picking themselves off the ground. Not that anything really justifies the cheap shot nature of Witte getting head stomped and knee'din the groin, but the story seems to be slightly more complex than an unprovoked beating.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodasGold View Post
    Like WWII and Harry S Truman, this was b/4 my time. However, from what I’ve read Luke Witte was guilty of scoring while white.
    There was an implication of this too on Barriero and I suppose whenever there is fight between two races we want to go there, but it seems to ignore the hundreds of other white guys Taylor, Behagen,and Winfield played against that they never punched?

Quote Originally Posted by Tully55 View Post
    Winner of the game would most probably be BIG champion. Williams Arena SRO and rockin'(especially with the Goph's pre-game shtick). VERY physical game from the start. While leaving the floor at halftime, Witte elbows Gopher guard Bob Nix.
    I've also heard that standing room only was a few thousand more people back then, due to more leniency with (or lack of?) fire codes, as well as seating differences.

That video make it look like he missed the knee to the junk by a foot... Did he really connect?

Witte was throwing elbows, like has happened thousands of times in basketball. Not sure I can name another time a player got intentionally kneed in the man area then had his head stomped on.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherVotary View Post
    Witte was throwing elbows, like has happened thousands of times in basketball. Not sure I can name another time a player got intentionally kneed in the man area then had his head stomped on.
    That's the only time that I am aware of. Not that there should have been that retaliation, but Witte elbowed Nix as the teams were headed to the locker room. While elbowing/dirty play was more commonplace at that time, it mostly occurred during the game action. The timing of the elbow from Witte makes a difference.