Shannon Brooks is the Community Service HOWitzer for January 2019

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Congrats Shannon!
Also - the cartoon is of a cannon, not a howitzer.

Nice to see him volunteer. This world could use more volunteers in general.

Anyone know who was the Vegas favorite for being the HOWitzer? I really thought Bateman would get it. This seems like an upset to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!!

Great news.
One of my favorite players.

Awesome that a Gopher won it!

/s

A howitzer is a cannon.

I’d say Correct

It's a specific type of cannon/gun, not like the one pictured.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I’d say mostly wrong. A howitzer was a cannon for most of history. It isn’t now. Wiki:

The English word "howitzer" comes from the Czech word "houfnice",from houf, "crowd",and houf is in turn a borrowing from the Middle High German word Hūfe or Houfe (modern German Haufen), meaning "heap". Haufen, sometimes in the compound Gewalthaufen, also designated a pike square formation in German. The English word "howitzer" comes from the Czech word "houfnice", from houf, "crowd",and houf is in turn a borrowing from the Middle High German word Hūfe or Houfe (modern German Haufen), meaning "heap". Haufen, sometimes in the compound Gewalthaufen, also designated a pike square formation in German.

In the Hussite Wars of the 1420s and 1430s, the Czechs used short barreled "houfnice" cannons to fire at short distances into crowds of infantry, or into charging heavy cavalry, to make horses shy away. The word was rendered into German as aufeniz in the earliest attested use in a document dating from 1440; later German renderings include haussnitz and, eventually haubitze, from which derive the Scandinavian haubits, Croatian, Polish and Serbian haubica, Finnish haupitsi, Russian and Bulgarian gaubitsa (гаубица), Italian obice, Spanish obús, Portuguese obus, French obusier and the Dutch word houwitser, which let’s d to the English word howitzer.

Since the First World War, the word "howitzer" has been increasingly used to describe artillery pieces that, strictly speaking, belong to the category of gun-howitzers – relatively long barrels and high muzzle velocities combined with multiple propelling charges and high maximum elevations.

In the Hussite Wars of the 1420s and 1430s, the Czechs used short barreled "houfnice" cannons to fire at short distances into crowds of infantry, or into charging heavy cavalry, to make horses shy away. The word was rendered into German as aufeniz in the earliest attested use in a document dating from 1440; later German renderings include haussnitz and, eventually haubitze, from which derive the Scandinavian haubits, Croatian, Polish and Serbian haubica, Finnish haupitsi, Russian and Bulgarian gaubitsa (гаубица), Italian obice, Spanish obús, Portuguese obus, French obusier and the Dutch word houwitser, which led to the English word howitzer.

Since the First World War, the word "howitzer" has been increasingly used to describe artillery pieces that, strictly speaking, belong to the category of gun-howitzers – relatively long barrels and high muzzle velocities combined with multiple propelling charges and high maximum elevations.

Back to Shannon—nice job!

Last edited:

I have to apologize. I thought we were talking modern day US Army howitzers, not 1400s Czech howitzers. My humblest apologies.

Only during the off-season can we engage in a pissing match about a military weapon. Love it LOL!

I have to apologize. I thought we were talking modern day US Army howitzers, not 1400s Czech howitzers. My humblest apologies.

No one talks modern US Army Howitzers. How naive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all the arguments I've seen or imagined taking place on here...

I would say "blow me," but I'm afraid you'd take it as an invitation.

An impressive retort. No doubt your other 17,000 plus posts are of equal value. I'll try and not hurt your feelings again if you try and not post stupid comments, deal?

Post of the day, but please, going forward... unless otherwise noted, we are referencing Czech howitzers from the 1400s.

An impressive retort. No doubt your other 17,000 plus posts are of equal value. I'll try and not hurt your feelings again if you try and not post stupid comments, deal?

My feelings weren't hurt at all. Your opinion means nothing to me.

Top Bottom