Wiltfong: Minnesota's 2019 class could be the springboard haul for Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Wiltfong:

Minnesota moved the program forward in year two of the PJ Fleck era, finishing 7-6 including a regular-season ending victory over rival Wisconsin before a win in a bowl game. A two-game improvement from the season prior.

This 2019 class is one Fleck and his staff are hopeful will help them become a Big Ten West contender and beyond.

First and foremost the quarterback room gets better with Jacob Clark signed and enrolled. As a senior at Rockwall (Texas) High, the 6-foot-5, 210-pound prototypical pocket passer threw for 3,295 yards and 31 touchdowns to just seven interceptions, completing close to 65 percent of his passes. Clark also ran for 10 scores and will immediately push the two young guys that saw snaps for the Gophers during the fall in Zack Annexstad and Tanner Morgan.

Offensive line was a big priority in the 2018 cycle, defensive line was really addressed this go round highlighted by one of the top JUCO prospects in the land in Keonte Schad who checks in as the country’s No. 3 defensive tackle along with three from the high school ranks in Rashad Cheney, MJ Anderson and DeAngelo Carter who all helped their respective programs win state titles during the fall. All four should help the Gophers control the line of scrimmage especially against the run, big-bodied guys that bring position flexibility in the trenches. Then you have defensive end D’Vion Harris as the pass rusher of the group.

The two linebackers in James Gordon IV and Donald Willis are in the backfield a lot and look like multi-year starters in the second level.

https://247sports.com/Article/Minne...o-to-another-level-in-Big-Ten-West-128258351/

Go Gophers!!

We can't forget that the 2019 PWO group is looking good. There are some nice additions with transfers into the program.

Although this recruiting class might not pass the ratings game on 247 Sports, overall IMHO it is a better class than it appears.

The catalyst of this class will be Clark imo. Having a big time QB is the missing link. Morgan and Annexstad may have that potential but I see something in Clark that has me excited about the QB position in the future.

We can't forget that the 2019 PWO group is looking good. There are some nice additions with transfers into the program.

Although this recruiting class might not pass the ratings game on 247 Sports, overall IMHO it is a better class than it appears.

I feel like people are impressed with the PWO group every year, just sayin.

The catalyst of this class will be Clark imo. Having a big time QB is the missing link. Morgan and Annexstad may have that potential but I see something in Clark that has me excited about the QB position in the future.

I'm in the boat with you on Clark. From what I've seen, he's more physically gifted (bigger and stronger arm) than the others and has a much higher ceiling. I'm curious to see how well he absorbs the offense during Spring Camp.

I'd agree that it seems a better class than it's rated. It fits our needs and it had the two special teams guys that mess up the playing field for rankings. The walkons do look good and thanks for compiling them...appreciate it.

Top Bottom