Crazy number of 4 and 5 star QB's end up transferring

I would guess minor league baseball and hockey as a whole have more attendance than college baseball and hockey (haven't looked it up though). But the college fans are probably more loyal. And I am huge college hockey fan.

Edit: From the numbers I could find, minor league baseball had total attendance of 37 million last year. I couldn't find total numbers for college baseball, but I'm guessing they are not even close to 37 million (maybe not even 5 or 10 million). Minor league hockey seems to hover in the 7-10 million range per year. College hockey last year was around 2 million.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Minor league baseball salaries are pitiful. I’d encourage anyone not aware to google it. Minor league hockey is better due to unionization, but far from impressive for many.

It is interesting (to me) that the NFL, MLB professional union membership don’t remember their roots and agitate for better salaries and benefits for their minor league colleagues and in the case of the NFL support direct entry from high school or formation of a viable multi-city minor league. I think we all know the answers.

There is nothing objectivly, or even subjectively, wrong with club sports. So long as Title IX is satisfied, and it is easy to prove that it is, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with having the majority of sports being club sports.

You think the Title IX crowd will be satisfied with being relegated to club sport status? Not likely.

Minor league baseball salaries are pitiful. I’d encourage anyone not aware to google it. Minor league hockey is better due to unionization, but far from impressive for many.

It is interesting (to me) that the NFL, MLB professional union membership don’t remember their roots and agitate for better salaries and benefits for their minor league colleagues and in the case of the NFL support direct entry from high school or formation of a viable multi-city minor league. I think we all know the answers.

The difference with minor league baseball is the affiliation with major league teams. A high draft choice out of hs can receive a nice bonus for signing a minor league contract. The minor league salary is somewhat irrelevant to them.

Yeah, the bonuses for the top rounds are very nice and even with hefty tax rates for single should last for a long while. Those guys are more likely to end end up with the massive top level MLB salaries as well. For the lower round guys that can’t make the jump to the big league after a few years I can see how the financial struggle begins. That said, as a young guy without obligations or responsibilities no problem and an adventure. Many of us can be/were happy as clams living as hobos. Once families enter the picture...

Yeah, the bonuses for the top rounds are very nice and even with hefty tax rates for single should last for a long while. Those guys are more likely to end end up with the massive top level MLB salaries as well. For the lower round guys that can’t make the jump to the big league after a few years I can see how the financial struggle begins. That said, as a young guy without obligations or responsibilities no problem and an adventure. Many of us can be/were happy as clams living as hobos. Once families enter the picture...

I agree that unless you are a top ranked prospect out of hs, minor league baseball is a tough way to make a living. But if you are talking about a talented 18 year old looking at a seven figure bonus, minor league baseball is a viable option. Those who don't receive a big bonus tend to go the college route. To a certain extent basketball prospects can play overseas straight from high school but for top ranked football players, college is the only route to the pros. I agree that football players should be able to have an option to the NFL. I don't see a way for that to happen.

I agree that unless you are a top ranked prospect out of hs, minor league baseball is a tough way to make a living. But if you are talking about a talented 18 year old looking at a seven figure bonus, minor league baseball is a viable option. Those who don't receive a big bonus tend to go the college route. To a certain extent basketball prospects can play overseas straight from high school but for top ranked football players, college is the only route to the pros. I agree that football players should be able to have an option to the NFL. I don't see a way for that to happen.

The XFL might be starting back up as more of a feeder league to the NFL this time around (versus the weird extravaganza it was last time). That could be interesting to see how it plays out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybarca/2018/06/30/with-500-million-and-a-football-leader-the-xfl-is-being-built-to-last/#59a0a07719fc

Not sure I agree with this, but even if I did, I'm not sure the courts would count a club sport to qualify for title IX if the other (revenue) sports weren't. Or are you advocating all sports become club sports?

I'm saying we can keep just the main, highest revenue sports as varsity sports, on the men's side, and then some minimum set of corresponding sports on the women's side.

Say football, hockey, basketball for men, and hockey, basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, for women ... or something along those lines. The rest of the sports continue to exist. They're simply club sports, rather than varsity sports.

The NCAA in turn, either completely abolishes the minimum sports sponsorship requirement or vastly waters it down.

Top Bottom