Restaurant recs around Williams Arena?

maliksealy

Reaction score
Probably been talked about but I'm looking for restaurant recommendations around Williams Arena for Sunday night after the Iowa game. Driving up with my girlfriend from the Des Moines area and she's meeting the folks for the first time. Something kinda nice but not over the top. Will be driving back that night so don't need any booze. Ha.

Thanks,
Go Gophers.

Probably been talked about but I'm looking for restaurant recommendations around Williams Arena for Sunday night after the Iowa game. Driving up with my girlfriend from the Des Moines area and she's meeting the folks for the first time. Something kinda nice but not over the top. Will be driving back that night so don't need any booze. Ha.

Thanks,
Go Gophers.

Within close walking distance of the Barn, there aren't very many options that fall into the "kinda nice" bucket. The closest thing would be the Beacon Public House inside the Graduate Hotel. Aside from that, everything within close walking distance is either a hole-in-the-wall or a chain.

Thanks,
Go Gophers.
Is she a Gopher fan or a Hawkeye fan? Your answer determines my response...[emoji57]

Is she a Gopher fan or a Hawkeye fan? Your answer determines my response...[emoji57]

Cyclone as she went to Iowa State but she will be in Gopher gear.

Doesn't have to be near Williams arena. Somewhere within a few miles really is fine.

Thanks,
Go Gophers.

You're going to have to venture to Northeast for restaurants if you want a nice sit down restaurant. It's only about a two to three miles west of Williams Arena. If you change your mind and want some standard american food, such as a burger, I would say go to Blue Door Pub (off of Como Ave). Pretty cheap, great burgers and appetizers.

I vote Brasa Premium Rotisserie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No drinking, relaxed fun, I would go to Annie's Parlour in Dinkytown.
3c0c61e60ed99ef0504f140a3c2da735.jpg

Ginger hop or Chin Dian for asian food, Birchwood off Franklin, Cafe Racer off Franklin, agree with Puerta Azul or now The Blue Door on Como, if you want something within walking distance then Kafe 421 in Dinkytown.

For authentic Asian go to Lao Sze Chuan. Ranked as a top 50 restaurant in US by CNN and the best Chinese in the US by several travel magazines. It is as authentic as it gets this side of Taiwan. My son spent the last summer in Beijing as a part of the a UofM chinese language program and says its the real deal.

And - you can walk to it from Williams Arena.

For a nice sit down dinner, Legendary Spice right on Huron. Get the crispy shrimp. Good authentic Chinese food and suitable for meeting the folks. Nice place with wine, beer, and good teas.

Surly. Cool venue. Very good food. But if you are like me, the beer will be too tempting and you will end up staying at a hotel. :)

I’ll second Surly. Don’t be fooled by it being a brewery. Great restaurant

Within close walking distance of the Barn, there aren't very many options that fall into the "kinda nice" bucket. The closest thing would be the Beacon Public House inside the Graduate Hotel. Aside from that, everything within close walking distance is either a hole-in-the-wall or a chain.

My recommended holes in the wall would be either Annie's or Stub and Herb's.

B!G Ten Subs!!! :cry: Sadly, it is gone.

(moment of silence)

Betty Danger's and Psycho Suzies are fairly close and have good food mixed with a lot of fun! Especially Betty's! Ride the Ferris Wheel while you eat. (if it's open in winter)

Surly has a great restaurant I’m told.

Haven’t been there in a while, but there is Loring Pasta Bar in Dinky.

I’ll second Surly. Don’t be fooled by it being a brewery. Great restaurant

And I'll also say this is the best spot close to Williams Arena for food.

In fact when out-of-towners at work ask for a recommendation on what to do and night, I always mention Surly. It's unlike any brewery around because of the fantastic food and vibe.

If you want something really close to the arena, I'd recommend Stub and Herbs. Amazing wings. It's got a dive bar feel.

If you like a neighborhood bar and grill, there are few better in Minneapolis than Manning's up on Como. On game days it's much easier to get into than the Blue Door down the street. We've been regulars there for 30 years. We even had our groom's dinner there!

Bar Luchador is decent for street tacos

I usually get dinner in the North Loop or Northeast when I go to games. Been to most of the restaurants within 3-4 miles.

My two favorites:
https://www.redrabbitmn.com
Best chicken parm I've ever had. Pretty good pizza too. About 3 miles from the Barn.

http://elisfoodandcocktails.com
Lots of options. Everything here is good. The East location is about 2 miles from Williams.

Both are pretty reasonably priced. Little more expensive than an Applebee's, but nowhere near as expensive as some of the finer establishments in town.

Bar Luchador is decent for street tacos

If you want to just walk, I sort of like the relaxed environment at the Tea House just past the dumpy 1970s eaa hotel, one block east of Williams Arena. If you lake Chinese food you could do worse than the Tea House, which at least does not resemble a buffet or government office lunch room.

The Surly Brewery restaurant used to aspire to being a "farm to table" type fancy place, but they blew that all up a year or more ago to go with quality wood fired Pizzas,. I have not been there in a while, but maybe they do offer more than decent high end pizza.

You could drive northwest about 2-3 or so miles on University Avenue to the "near" Northeast area at University and Hennepin Avenue. There are a couple of OK places on Hennepin between the river and the White Castle. Restaurant Alma is a fancier, non-traditional option on the way to NE Minneapolis, to the Northwest of Williams at 6th and University.

I forgot about this place in Dinkytown:

The former disgraced owner (alleged CTC Pedo rat https://sf.eater.com/2017/11/8/1662...onder-uptown-sexual-abuse-charges-allegations ) fled the country and it is now owned by the employees I have heard:

https://www.loringbarrestaurant.com/

Last edited:

Is it true Stub and Herbs is going the same way as the Big Ten?

Thanks,
Go Gophers.

Based on the weather forecast along the I-90 Corridor you might want to re-think that part.

Is it true Stub and Herbs is going the same way as the Big Ten?

Seriously? Aww man don’t say that! Sturbs is the last of the on-campus legends from my era (late ‘80s). I’ll definitely need to make a post-game stop there when I’m up for the IU game in February.

Open up Google Maps. Then search for "Restaurants near the University of Minnesota".

There are lots of restaurants concentrated around Washington Avenue between Harvard Street and S. E. Huron Blvd. Hover with your cursor over the restaurant names to get their star ratings. These are all within three blocks walking distance from Williams Arena.

My pick on a cold Sunday Evening is D'Amico and Sons (4.5 Star Ratings). If you like Italian Food, it is closest to Williams Arena right off Walnut Street and University Avenue (about a half a city block from Williams Arena). I don't know if they take reservations.

I too recommend Surly's if you are willing to drive a short distance.

Last edited:

If you like a neighborhood bar and grill, there are few better in Minneapolis than Manning's up on Como. On game days it's much easier to get into than the Blue Door down the street. We've been regulars there for 30 years. We even had our groom's dinner there!

I’ll second that, many a lunches there. Love the Patty Melt.
Eli’s on Hennepin is pretty good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Open up Google Maps. Then search for "Restaurants near the University of Minnesota".

There are lots of restaurants concentrated around Washington Avenue between Harvard Street and S. E. Huron Blvd. Hover with your cursor over the restaurant names to get their star ratings. These are all within three blocks walking distance from Williams Arena.

My pick on a cold Sunday Evening is D'Amico and Sons (4.5 Star Ratings). If you like Italian Food, it is closest to Williams Arena right off Walnut Street and University Avenue (about a half a city block from Williams Arena). I don't know if they take reservations.

I too recommend Surly's if you are willing to drive a short distance.
Here's the problem with just looking at Google map. Your pick is closed on a cold Sunday evening. D'Amico is in McNamara and is only open for lunch Monday-Friday

Top Bottom