STrib: Injuries, Talent Separate Hopkins/Holy Angles

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/injuries...holy-angels-girls-basketball-teams/504765062/

Where former Gophers’ coach Marlene Stollings was nearly non-existent in high school gyms around the state and didn’t prioritize the recruitment of local players, Whalen has made it a priority. Among the Minnesotans to whom she’s extended scholarship offers, three play for the Royals: Bueckers – who is considered the top recruit in the country in the Class of 2020 – and freshmen Maya Nnaji, a 6-foot-2 post, and Amaya Battle, a smooth 5-foot-11 point guard. Cosgriff said he expects a fourth Gophers’ offer to come soon for 5-foot-11 eighth-grader Taylor Woodson.

So far, Cosgriff said, so good. He’s impressed by the commitment the staff has made towards recruiting Minnesota kids. Stillwater guard Sara Scalia signed with the Gophers’ last fall. He expects more to follow suit.

“They’re working hard,” he said. “They’re building relationships. They’ve got a great relationship with the coaches of Minnesota. Everyone seems to really be embracing them.”

The Gophers’ recent slump, having lost 5 of their last 6 games after a 12-0 start, doesn’t concern him in the long run.

“The Big Ten is tough this year and I think they’re figuring that out,” he said. “They’re got their work cut out for them, but I think they made a great hire.”

Frank Vascellero’s daughter’s name is Frankie? The ego in that guy. :rolleyes:

Yes, she is definitely a DI prospect, probably DI major.

Her ceiling is likely mid-major according to the D1 people I have talked to. Not particularly big or fast. More likely low D1, Ivy League or similar

Top Bottom