Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Gophers climb to 51 after the Iowa win. I recommend anyone that wants to dig into the résumés checks out the Team Sheets. There's a link to them just below UNC Asheville at the bottom of the rankings.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Gophers climb to 51 after the Iowa win. I recommend anyone that wants to dig into the résumés checks out the Team Sheets. There's a link to them just below UNC Asheville at the bottom of the rankings.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

lol thats pretty bad...i only checked a handful but doesn't seem to add up....for some reason quadrant 2 matters most....seems like their is a lot of weight on efficiency, so then might as well throw wins out the door..who knows maybe it will even out a lot more

Quote Originally Posted by schlegs View Post
    lol thats pretty bad...i only checked a handful but doesn't seem to add up....for some reason quadrant 2 matters most....seems like their is a lot of weight on efficiency, so then might as well throw wins out the door..who knows maybe it will even out a lot more
    Efficiency matters most.

Having a lot of wins against average teams instead of a lot of wins against below average teams matters.

Better to lose to good teams and beat average teams than beat good teams and beat below average teams too.

Ncaa at larges are messed up.
    At least in college football playoff committee rankings they overvalue quality wins.
    I’d rather have a system that over values quality wins than a system that rewards efficient losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post

Ncaa at larges are messed up.
    At least in college football playoff committee rankings they overvalue quality wins.
    I’d rather have a system that over values quality wins than a system that rewards efficient losses.
    This may be one of those situations where the NCAA feels compelled to back peddle at the end of the regular season.

I dont even understand the premise for using efficiency as one of the committee's criteria. The only thing I can come up with is that it is a way to reward teams that lose a lot of close games, but can use fonal score margin if that's a concern. Maybe someone can explain it for me. I can understand using win-loss, sos, and quadrants.

Quote Originally Posted by ltf View Post
    I dont even understand the premise for using efficiency as one of the committee's criteria. The only thing I can come up with is that it is a way to reward teams that lose a lot of close games, but can use fonal score margin if that's a concern. Maybe someone can explain it for me. I can understand using win-loss, sos, and quadrants.
    About 15 years ago a bunch of internet fanboys started liking computer rankings better than common sense. And here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by ltf View Post
    I think it makes sense for the selection committee if they are trying seed the teams or for AP writers trying to figure out their Top 25, but other than that I see no purpose. Who makes it into the tournament should be based on a team's resume... For one thing, the number/quality of wins a team stacks up determines how well of a season they had. The teams that had the best season should make the tournament.

I'm sorry, if you are a good basketball team efficiency wise, but don't pull out enough wins, I don't see why that team should be rewarded. Now, I get that other metrics are needed because the mid-major teams do not have the schedule that a Big 10 team has, so when you are comparing resumes it is kind of hard to judge between a 26 win mid-major team and a 20-win Big 10 team... But overall the Gophers right now are fighting for a spot with mostly P6 schools, and I don't see why efficiency or any other metric should matter besides SOS and wins and losses. Basketball is one of those sports where a dominant win can look like a 4-point squeaker based on the score. Not sure why a team's performance up big or down big with 2-3 minutes left should determine the outcome of their season

Looking at the NET team sheets was very interesting, thanks for posting Matt. Unfortunately I could see the Gophers finishing with only 3 wins the rest of the way, but I could also see them only losing 3. Will be interesting to see how it plays out between now and selection Sunday.

Blog Entries

Default Currently Florida is the poster child for the new NET

11-8 record. Best (and only) decent win is over #45 Butler (a bubble team) in Gainesville.

#36 in NET.

#26 in KenPom.

6 of 8 losses are to teams that would definitely would make the NCAA field. I get it that it's better to have losses to good teams than bad ones for SOS purposes, but you better have some quality wins to go with those losses. Florida does not. The Gators have no business being considered one of the best 40 teams in the country, under any ranking formula.

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    11-8 record. Best (and only) decent win is over #45 Butler (a bubble team) in Gainesville.

#36 in NET.

#26 in KenPom.

6 of 8 losses are to teams that would definitely would make the NCAA field. I get it that it's better to have losses to good teams than bad ones for SOS purposes, but you better have some quality wins to go with those losses. Florida does not. The Gators have no business being considered one of the best 40 teams in the country, under any ranking formula.

NC State (16-4) is probably the other biggest high major outlier. At least they have a better record than Gators and a win over Auburn (although that is growing less impressive).

NC STATE:

currently: #107 in RPI with a #277 SOS. Wouldn't even sniff an NIT berth in old system.

currently: #29 in NET whipping up on inferior teams and playing with game-long "efficiency"
    currently: #32 in KenPom

#36 in NET.

#26 in KenPom.

This is why KenPom is horrible.

It measures as all possessions being equal and adds a little bit of SOS to it.

Well you blow out the bad teams and lose close to the good teams, it ends up being better than beating some of the good teams, getting blown out twice, and winning by 10 against all the bad teams.

Which is just garbage.
    Not all possessions are created equal. Literally in Kenpom your ranking could be different if you ran it up by 50 against the 5 dogs on your schedule instead of playing the bench and winning by 20.

Net tries to fix that by setting margin of victory to a max of 10. But it doesn’t max our efficiency...meaning that it actually almost double counts efficiency in games that are less than 10 point games.

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    About 15 years ago a bunch of internet fanboys started liking computer rankings better than common sense. And here we are.
    Ironic we all hate the computer rankings and technology as opposed to human evaluation when it comes to selecting NCAA basketball teams but can't get away from human evaluation fast enough when it comes to reffing/umping athletic competition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjgopher View Post
    NC State (16-4) is probably the other biggest high major outlier. At least they have a better record than Gators and a win over Auburn (although that is growing less impressive).

NC STATE:

currently: #107 in RPI with a #277 SOS. Wouldn't even sniff an NIT berth in old system.

currently: #29 in NET whipping up on inferior teams and playing with game-long "efficiency"
    currently: #32 in KenPom
    Good catch with NC State. These are the two teams I'd most love to see end up square only on the bubble. I want to see what the committee would do with them if their resumes mostly remain unimpressive. Could be a precedent setter.

Gophers are #57 in KenPom.
    As mentioned 51 in NET.

I'll do another comparison of NET and Ken Pom soon, but the correlation is VERY VERY VERY strong.

The NET appears to be 95% Ken Pom efficiency ratings, then added margin of victory on top of it for 5%.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Good catch with NC State. These are the two teams I'd most love to see end up square only on the bubble. I want to see what the committee would do with them if their resumes mostly remain unimpressive. Could be a precedent setter.
    The NC State non-conference schedule is embarrassingly weak (almost entirely #300+ on games they chose to schedule). But, they rolled everyone by 30+ (and some by 50), so the NET loves them.