Offical Net ranking thread

I seem to hear a spin on the NET rankings that it is supposed to be more about future projections/potential wins. That is utterly ridiculous! It does a very poor job of correlating with actual historical data (actual win/loss records), how can it be better at projecting the future? If it can't line up with the data you already know then it has no hope of correlating with the data that is yet to come. This all falls into the "it is design for the whole season" bull crap.

I seem to hear a spin on the NET rankings that it is supposed to be more about future projections/potential wins. That is utterly ridiculous! It does a very poor job of correlating with actual historical data (actual win/loss records), how can it be better at projecting the future? If it can't line up with the data you already know then it has no hope of correlating with the data that is yet to come. This all falls into the "it is design for the whole season" bull crap.

The committee is not using for future projections. The top 20 have the most wins and the best road records. Only Purdue under .500 on the road.

The committee is not using for future projections. The top 20 have the most wins and the best road records. Only Purdue under .500 on the road.

Quit your BS about top 20 teams.
Top 20 teams will all get in the tournament. No concerns.

Top 20 NET teams are going to all be top 25 RPI teams.

The issue is if you're a top 35-40 team but your NET is so low that you don't get consideration. That's the worry.

I can find 50 different rankings that give us 20 teams at the top of their ranking that should be in a tournament.

Updated NET & RPI through Michigan game

For all the consternation and criticism of the NET, here's where we're at 23 days from Selection Sunday:

Gophers NET = 52

Gophers (old) RPI: 48

If this keeps up, pretty soon everyone will be loving the NET, glad the RPI was ditched!

Indiana is back ahead of us with their stirring win over Wisconsin and 14-14 record. Lol. And of course so is Nebraska.

Huge drag down not just by the metrics but by a horrible non con followed by how badly those teams have done and then the undeniably inept road record.

Penn State is currently 10 spots ahead of us. Although I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that, considering they'd probably be favored against us on a neutral court right now.

For all the consternation and criticism of the NET, here's where we're at 23 days from Selection Sunday:

Gophers NET = 52

Gophers (old) RPI: 48

If this keeps up, pretty soon everyone will be loving the NET, glad the RPI was ditched!

I'm still liking the consistent of the RPI compared to the NET garbage.

We'll see who the outliers are at the end of the season between the two metrics. Then we'll see how the committee addresses those teams.

Gophers have 6 more wins including being 1-0 head to head against penn state.
Minnesota also has a better conference record despite penn state being a “hot” 5-12

Somehow penn state is ranked higher in the NET though.
Net sucks at what it’s supposed to do.

It’s the same debate as football. “Best team” and “most deserving team” are two different things.

I error for the most deserving team. Because I’d rather judge based on results than speculation on who should be the better team.

Didn’t even notice. Indiana 10 spots ahead in net ranking.

Don’t like a ranking based on who is supposed to win games instead of who actually won games.

RPI was bad. This thing is terrible. Hopefully they look at resumes and not just one ranking system.

Updated Gopher rankings

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nebraska is still at #51
Penn State. 49

crazy

Top 75 NET Teams benefiting from NET over RPI.

Team NET RPI
Nebraska 51 114
North Carolina State 31 93
Liberty 62 97
Penn State 49 82
Florida 35 68
Texas A&M 69 101
Indiana 55 84
Oregon 64 89
Lipscomb 46 69
Clemson 40 62
Arkansas 73 91
Butler 59 77
Ole Miss 37 53
Georgetown 72 87
Texas 33 47
Wofford 14 27
Virginia Tech 12 25
Furman 44 56
Iowa State 18 29
Wisconsin 17 28
Colorado 75 85
Auburn 20 30

Top 75 RPI Teams hurt the worst.

Team NET RPI
Harvard 119 49
Georgia State 135 72
Drake 128 66
Georgia Southern 118 71
Utah Valley 97 58
Arizona State 68 40
Toledo 60 34
UNCG 58 33
BYU 77 54
Yale 87 64
Temple 57 35
Davidson 71 51
UC Irvine 81 61
Vermont 79 60
Wichita State 91 73
Saint John's 61 45
Kansas 16 1
VCU 36 21
Hofstra 67 52
Northeastern 80 65
Alabama 54 42
Washington 32 22
New Mexico State 47 37

Last edited:

All of this will make it really interesting to see how much weight NET gets come selection sunday, both in regards to who is in as well as seeding

All of this will make it really interesting to see how much weight NET gets come selection sunday, both in regards to who is in as well as seeding

Before selections, I'm going to pull out the RPI and NET outliers for major conference teams.

We'll see if they leaned more to the NET side or the RPI side on those teams where the NET and RPI vary widely.

I'd like to hear what all those NET ballwashers have to say now that we are nearing the very end of the season.

I'd like to hear what all those NET ballwashers have to say now that we are nearing the very end of the season.

How about those RPI lovers . We are better in Ken Pom than RPI ! And RPI actually has Kansas number one !

The best I've heard from some is "Well, on some teams the NET and RPI almost match!"
Well, that's good if you didn't want something better than RPI, but bad if it was supposed to show us something better.

How about those RPI lovers . We are better in Ken Pom than RPI ! And RPI actually has Kansas number one !

The fight isn't over the top 25 teams. Those fall in line with most poll numbers.
The issue is getting the right last 8-16 of the bubble teams.

Right now I trust RPI more than NET for analyzing teams ranked 25 and lower.

The fight isn't over the top 25 teams. Those fall in line with most poll numbers.
The issue is getting the right last 8-16 of the bubble teams.

Right now I trust RPI more than NET for analyzing teams ranked 25 and lower.

Ok. Cool. Hook Em!

Ok. Just some unbiased info. Many projections have 39 Major Conference Bids including automatics.

If we just sort by NET and RPI, 35 of the teams make it in either case.

Here are the teams that would make it if decision is based on RPI, and miss with NET.

Team NET RPI
Arizona State 68 40
Saint John's 61 45
Minnesota 56 48
Seton Hall 63 63

Here are the teams that would miss with RPI, but make it with NET.

Team NET RPI
Penn State 49 82
Nebraska 51 114
Indiana 55 84

So NET is even further away from Ken Pom than RPI is. What's your point? And Kansas has BY FAR the most difficult SOS in the nation. MSU, Marquette, Tennessee, Nova, @ASU, @Kentucky all on their non-con schedule. But why does that matter? Kansas is in the field regardless.

Far more concerning is how over inflated teams like NC State, Texas, Florida, Clemson, Oklahoma, and TCU are in the NET rankings. And don't even make me laugh with Nebraska at #51 and 12-17 PSU seven spots ahead of the Gophers at #49.

This is about teams on the bubble and whether this horrible NET ranking system is going to be a deciding factor. It's okay to admit that you were duped.

Ok. Just some unbiased info. Many projections have 39 Major Conference Bids including automatics.

If we just sort by NET and RPI, 35 of the teams make it in either case.

Here are the teams that would make it if decision is based on RPI, and miss with NET.

Team NET RPI
Arizona State 68 40
Saint John's 61 45
Minnesota 56 48
Seton Hall 63 63

Here are the teams that would miss with RPI, but make it with NET.

Team NET RPI
Penn State 49 82
Nebraska 51 114
Indiana 55 84

And I don't think you'd find an analyst in the country that would take the NET teams over the RPI teams.

There's another way to do this. I think I have a solution. There should be a group of people...you know, a committee or something like that. They'd look at NET, KenPom, KPI, all of it. They would take every ranking system into account, look at the records, and other stuff, and go from there. We should push for something like that

There's another way to do this. I think I have a solution. There should be a group of people...you know, a committee or something like that. They'd look at NET, KenPom, KPI, all of it. They would take every ranking system into account, look at the records, and other stuff, and go from there. We should push for something like that

Boom ! And the best part is they dropped the worst metric, the RPI because looking at every part of it there were serious flaws. Coaches got what they wanted. They voted for what you suggested and that is what they got.

Wow, I didn't realize Penn St was rated so highly by NET. That's absurd.

Boom ! And the best part is they dropped the worst metric, the RPI because looking at every part of it there were serious flaws. Coaches got what they wanted. They voted for what you suggested and that is what they got.

What were the "serious flaws" of the RPI again?

Something about valuing wins?

So NET is even further away from Ken Pom than RPI is. What's your point? And Kansas has BY FAR the most difficult SOS in the nation. MSU, Marquette, Tennessee, Nova, @ASU, @Kentucky all on their non-con schedule. But why does that matter? Kansas is in the field regardless.

Far more concerning is how over inflated teams like NC State, Texas, Florida, Clemson, Oklahoma, and TCU are in the NET rankings. And don't even make me laugh with Nebraska at #51 and 12-17 PSU seven spots ahead of the Gophers at #49.

This is about teams on the bubble and whether this horrible NET ranking system is going to be a deciding factor. It's okay to admit that you were duped.

KP and NET are closely related.
Correlation of 0.9930
K and NET have 0 teams that differ in ratings by 40 or more spots.

RPI and KP correlation is:
RPI and KP have 69 teams that vary by more than 40 spots.

KP is a efficiency index.
NET is largely based on efficiency.

Top Bottom