Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGopher View Post
    Our RPI is currently 33 ... I don't know much about how it's computed, but ranked 33 is about right for this Gopher team right now, which tells me RPI is doing something right and NET is doing something wrong.
    On RealTimeRPI the Gophers dropped 3 spots yesterday, from 30 to 33. It could be teams jumping them, but beating Illinoize soundly actually dropped the Gopher profile yet again.

I suppose there's plenty of chances for splashy wins coming up.

If I wanted to get a business lessons and follow basketball that is purely a business, I'd go see the Timberwolves.
    I realize that this board is for dedicated BB freaks, but what I keeps me renewing my tickets is player development. Seeing players learn and evolve. Seems to me that Net ranking can work against putting players in for real time development. I suppect this works against players like Omersa, and it works contrary to the way Pitino wants to coach (as he said) when he needs Dupree to not hold the ball but go for a last shot that in everyones mind is poor sportmanship.

NET as of 29 Jan:

#4 Michigan 1-0 over OSU since
    #6 Michigan State
    #11 Purdue Plays PSU tonight
    #12 Wisconsin 1-0 over Nebraska
    #21 Maryland 1-0 over NW
    #27 Iowa
    #28 Nebraska 0-1
    #38 Ohio State 0-1 (ranked #1 in initial NET back in Nov)
    #44 Indiana 0-1 lost @Rutgers
    #50 Minnesota 1-0
    #59 Northwestern 0-1
    #86 Penn State
    #113 Illinois 0-1
    #125 Rutgers 1-0 - Hard to figure why with 4 wins in conference they are ranked so much lower than the rest! Baffling.

MSU plays Iowa on Friday(maybe Saturday).

Hard to figure the staying power of Indiana, Nebraska and Ohio State. Especially Indiana and their 7 game losing streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    NET as of 29 Jan:

#4 Michigan 1-0 over OSU since
    #6 Michigan State
    #11 Purdue Plays PSU tonight
    #12 Wisconsin 1-0 over Nebraska
    #21 Maryland 1-0 over NW
    #27 Iowa
    #28 Nebraska 0-1
    #38 Ohio State 0-1 (ranked #1 in initial NET back in Nov)
    #44 Indiana 0-1 lost @Rutgers
    #50 Minnesota 1-0
    #59 Northwestern 0-1
    #86 Penn State
    #113 Illinois 0-1
    #125 Rutgers 1-0 - Hard to figure why with 4 wins in conference they are ranked so much lower than the rest! Baffling.
    It's like they took the preseason projections and never bothered to change them based on the games.

Blog Entries

looks like no change from yesterdays game.

still at 50. through Jan. 30th games

Blog Entries

How in the world can Indiana, OSU, and Nebraska be ahead of us....makes no sense.

rhetorical question above.

Blog Entries

Default Gophers remain at #50

Last edited by SelectionSunday; 01-31-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Washington now at 29. The gift that keeps on giving...

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    I may searching for proof texts but our last place team without a conference win and a poor non conference record is 86th. Penn State has some talent but has been bad and they are a quality win. Something is off in this metric or it redefines a rising tide lifts all boats in a loaded B1G.

Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    I have said repeatedly that it is not perfect but a combination of many methods, especially who you beat and where is most important will bear out as the best that can be selected for the field. It has never picked the best 68 teams and this will come closer. Agree with you that the best teams do not worry about it because by any measure they are the best teams. The efficiency matric matters more as to how you play and winning than some large single factor in team selection. The coaches picked it , not me. I have the Gophers between 25 and 30 by my biased eyes because it is not possible to remove all bias. When i pull back and look at it on who we beat and where we fall to 43. I count UW at UW as a titan victory, fantastic. Beating Washington on a neutral court is a good win. The rest of the non con being bad is just bad luck. We have games coming up to move way up while other teams are steadily sliding down. Some people forget that i am the one who picked no worse than 13-7, Still writing checks for tickets since 1968, still thinking we could be great. But what i will not do is blindly ignore bad play, not recognize great play by other teams and always tear other people and teams down. I support 4 teams financially and follow several more. People ask what is with the nickname on the board. That was given to me by Pat Richter for what he felt was a role i played on a search committee for a coach and a plan to build a new facility along time ago. I support UCLA because i went to school there in the 60's for my undergrad and i grew up in Carmel California and still maintain a home there. I support the U because my Grandfather was a executive at Piper and had season tickets which i kept starting in 1968 and we keep a family cabin up north. I support UVA because of my relationship through business and friendship with the Bennett's. Ben to hundreds of clinics, thousands of games and been paid as a advance scout. I have stated often that i do not think on a message board that my opinions are any more valuable than anyone else, we all as readers can decide what we do and do not enjoy. I prefer facts over opinion and dislike personal attacks as i was raised and have lived with the idea that anger rots what it lives in. When someone rips on UVA or UW for some perceived style of play than fine. that is preference but when they take shots about UVA choking in March, anything can happen in a one and done tourney. It does not wipe out 30 win seasons and ACC titles and being the only ACC team to leave the season having won anything. When we start to win 30 games and conference titles and stop the off the court garbage then we will be very proud of our Gophers.

Hope you didn't interpret my comment as a negative attack - I think this is my only post in this thread and I'm not trying to reignite the heat you were taking on this thread yesterday. And believe me, I don't have any hangups that you are a Badger supporter. I grew up in Wisconsin and earned my MS at UW, literally knocked on wood through the whole second half of the Sweet 16 in 2000 because I thought it was helping the comeback, and sweated through the Arizona victory to get to the final four in 2013 alone in my Madison apartment because I did not want to face a loss in public with friends who less emotionally invested. I've also been rooting for Tony Bennett simply because my dad loved Dick Bennett. I have equally as strong ties to the UMN and root for them during head to head matchups against UW - but I can relate your commitment to multiple programs, albeit not on the professional or financial level.

My main point in responding, was that in my opinion, this metric should not be judged on how well it characterizes the top or the bottom, but rather how well it characterizes the middle. I come from a statistics background, which doesn't validate my opinion, but that is the lens through which i view this. "We" don't need help determining who is the best, but we need help sorting out who the last 4-8 in the tournament deserves to be. That is where the stakes are the highest, both from a emotional standpoint for the fans, but also a financial perspective for the institutions. The NET is simply a model - and until the committee communicates how this model will weigh on seeding decisions, coaches will and should be changing the way they finish off games in order to maximize their statistical gains.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Man View Post
    I may searching for proof texts but our last place team without a conference win and a poor non conference record is 86th. Penn State has some talent but has been bad and they are a quality win. Something is off in this metric or it redefines a rising tide lifts all boats in a loaded B1G.
    Yep.

As of today, a win @ Penn State is a Quad 2 win.

Go figure.

Updated overlay of Ken Pom and RPI over NET ranked teams. (teams 1- 68)

"Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

All teams.
    Graph gets a bit busy.

Biggest thing to notice is how closely NET aligns with KP.
    RPI is widely scattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    All teams.
    Graph gets a bit busy.

Biggest thing to notice is how closely NET aligns with KP.
    RPI is widely scattered.
    So with this linear graph, the selection committee will go right down the line with the NET similar to Pairwise in hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
    So with this linear graph, the selection committee will go right down the line with the NET similar to Pairwise in hockey?
    We sure as hell hope not.