Offical Net ranking thread

We fell from 36 to 46 in RPI.

Hmmmmmmmmm it’s almost like these things will end up sorting themselves out, NET can just be ahead of the curve and essentially predict it.

We fell from 36 to 46 in RPI.

Hmmmmmmmmm it’s almost like these things will end up sorting themselves out, NET can just be ahead of the curve and essentially predict it.
No question that’s what it does.
The real question is, with a small sample size, do you want to guess based on a small sample size of effiency or guess based on a small sample size of W/L and SOS

At the end of the day, if you get left out, you never have anyone to blame but yourself.
There are so many spots.
You might get left out when you should’ve been a 10 seed. You’ll never get left out if you’re trurly a good team using either metric.

The real question is, with a small sample size, do you want to guess based on a small sample size of effiency or guess based on a small sample size of W/L and SOS

At the end of the day, if you get left out, you never have anyone to blame but yourself.
There are so many spots.
You might get left out when you should’ve been a 10 seed. You’ll never get left out if you’re trurly a good team using either metric.

So true.

There are so many spots.

I prefer NET if they are going to base it off of “which NET teams did you beat?” Because it will give you credit for beating teams that are actually pretty good but have a bunch of close losses against good teams.

Andy Katz does a nice piece with the NCAA talking NET. Winning road games is huge, no big deal to beat teams your suppose to and strength of schedule are all highlighted as well as efficiency. Also not a straight number to selection.

I predict that we’ll move up a few slots today after a closer than handicapped loss.

I predict that we’ll move up a few slots today after a closer than handicapped loss.

Would expect the same. KenPom improved by 4.

As expected, the various rankings (NET, KenPom, KPI, etc.) are starting to level out and eventually will meet in about the same spot. Currently KPI #44, KenPom #52, Haslametrics #56, and NET (TBD later today).

Not sure Huskers will win another game

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am expecting them to win at home against Northwestern, tomorrow, but I can't say the same with any of their other remaining games. On a side note, Northwestern fans must be pretty disappointed.

For whatever it's worth, we are #47 in KenPom right now... Not sure what we were following the Nebraska loss

Kenpom improvement over two games a reflection of moving way up in defense and limiting turnovers.

Kenpom improvement over two games a reflection of moving way up in defense and limiting turnovers.

QUOTE=builtbadgers;1690151]So true.[/QUOTE]

or at this point in the season its more based on how your previous opponents have done......

im gonna cave though... ive been way to biased against you.... point you've been trying to make is the legit teams get in regardless of ranking (from there on we can see)...point everyone else is making is that the last few deserving teams might not get in because of some stupid ranking....play decent and you'll get in, i agree, was ridiculous how much i though these were gonna matter

For whatever it's worth, we are #47 in KenPom right now... Not sure what we were following the Nebraska loss
The Gophers were #50 on KenPom this morning. They have been creeping up the rankings the last few weeks despite the losses before today.

Gophers KenPom is up to 47.
Indiana is 48.

I know this is old, but it still applies (Crispin explaining that Minnesota's NET is a total joke):

Our net rating didn't move from 58 after beating Indiana by 20. Indiana is still 7 spots ahead of us. Nebraska moved up a spot to #38 after beating Northwestern. It seems like nothing you do at this point matters. If you thrash your non-conference opponents by enough you will get locked in and not move up or down more than 5-10 spots no matter what. Total joke.

Last edited:

Our net rating didn't move from 58 after beating Indiana by 20. Indiana is still 7 spots ahead of us. Nebraska moved up a spot to #38 after beating Northwestern. It seems like nothing you do at this point matters. If you thrash your non-conference opponents by enough you will get locked in and not move up or down more than 5-10 spots no matter what. Total joke.
NET hasn't updated yet.

NET hasn’t been updated since prior to the Indiana game. So assuming it’s updated today (Monday), it should include results from both Saturday & Sunday. I’d expect it to be pretty close to what RPI would be (#46) if it still existed.

Gophers #51 in NET

Through Sunday results.

In case you're wondering, Indiana now #55.

Through Sunday results.

In case you're wondering, Indiana now #55.

On your current bracket, how many teams have NET scores better than us that you are leaving out of the tournament? Conversely, how many teams have worse NET scores that you are including in your bracket?

On your current bracket, how many teams have NET scores better than us that you are leaving out of the tournament? Conversely, how many teams have worse NET scores that you are including in your bracket?

At-Larges "Out" With Better NET Ranking Than Gophers
#33 Florida
#34 Utah State
#39 Nebraska
#42 Clemson
#47 Saint Mary's

At-Larges "In" With Worse NET Ranking Than Gophers
#59 Belmont
#60 Seton Hall
#68 Arizona State

Gophers moved up 7 spots to No. 51 after the win over Indiana, it's through last night's games. That said, we're acting like the NET ranking is the end-all be-all for at-large bids, which couldn't be further from the truth. It's one of several rankings/analytics to look at a team's overall body of work. Had they beaten Nebraska, it would likely be in the high 30s, low 40s.

The Gophers have quality wins over Washington, at Wisconsin, Texas A&M and Iowa. The Rutgers and Illinois wins were also good wins. If you beat Michigan and/or Purdue at home and beat Northwestern and Rutgers on the road, you're in great shape heading to the BTT. The big issue that remains for the Gophers is a 1-7 road record, and the only real quality test that remains is the finale at Maryland. Any win on the road in the Big Ten is a good win, but Northwestern (77) and Rutgers (111) aren't great NET opponents. That's a tough situation, you probably won't improve a ton if you win both but they would be considered bad losses.

That's what makes Michigan and Purdue at home so critical, got to defend the home court. Win both of those and split NW/Rutgers, you're in without a sweat. Split Michigan/Purdue and beat both NW/Rutgers, you're also in very good shape.

Just to put it in perspective, I added records:

At-Larges "Out" With Better NET Ranking Than Gophers
#33 Florida 6-6, 14-11, 8th in SEC
#34 Utah State 10-3, 20-6, 2nd in MWC
#39 Nebraska 5-10, 15-11, 10th in B10
#42 Clemson 5-7, 15-10, 9th in ACC
#47 Saint Mary's 8-4, 17-10, 4th in WCC

At-Larges "In" With Worse NET Ranking Than Gophers
#59 Belmont 12-2, 21-4, 1st in OVC
#60 Seton Hall 7-6, 19-9, 3rd in BigEast
#68 Arizona State 8-5, 17-8, 3rd in P12

I'm anxious to see how much the NET influences the final teams and seeding.

At this point, major conference teams RPI's seem like a better indicator for whether a team will make the field or not.
You don't see top 40 RPI teams miss the tournament traditionally.

If #33 Florida doesn't make it and they are still around #33 it would show how weak the NET is in comparison to the RPI.

Top Bottom