What will Jordan Murphy be remembered for?

What will Jordan Murphy be remembered most for?

• His hair. It is iconic.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • His motor. High Motor Murph is alive and well for 2 1/2 seasons.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • The rebounds. #1 all-time in Gopher history, likely #2 all-time in B1G history

Votes: 48 58.5%
  • Mr. Double-Double. His streak his junior year and the sheer # are incredible

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • The fouls. All of them. The good ones, the bad ones, the cheap ones and the flat out stupid ones

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Leading the team to the Sweet 16 as a senior. I know, I know, I know. But I won't rule it out.

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but we don't have a game to discuss for a few days and I'm not sure I want to continuously relive the shot clock fiasco in Ann Arbor (SCFIAA for short)

So this is my first poll, I will apologize now for it not working as I don't know how this work.

Edit: It worked. Cool!

Last edited:

I voted hair, but in seriousness, obviously the rebounds with a touch of never being able to stay out of foul trouble.

The rebounds will be the first thing that comes to mind until another player comes along that piles up a lot of double doubles at which point Murphy's numbers in that department will come back out and we will all remember how a double double was basically just a typical day at the office for Murph most of the time.

1. Rebounds
1A. Inability to develop a consistent mid range jumper.

The rebounds will be the first thing that comes to mind until another player comes along that piles up a lot of double doubles at which point Murphy's numbers in that department will come back out and we will all remember how a double double was basically just a typical day at the office for Murph most of the time.

I believe Murphy recorded his 57th double double last night. He has played 116 games. That is insane.

1. Rebounds

Exactly my thoughts. Kid is the one of the most tenacious rebounders I have seen. It is so unfortunate that he cannot shoot OR that he isn't 6-9. If he was 6-9 he would be darn near unstoppable. At 6-6 it's tough without a jump shot. Great kid.

As I have said before - if there was ever a stat on getting the rebound off your own shot, I'd think he would have set the NCAA record for that. :)

1. Rebounds

I love Murphy. But last night, as with every game this season, he could have taken uncontested set shots from the elbow on any possession he wanted. Instead, her performed "The Murph" - drive, spin, put the ball right into the long arms of someone four inches taller.

I'll remember him for his ability to disappear despite that large frame.

with his whole "look" - the hair, the beard, the smile - I see Murphy as the world's biggest Muppet. If I had any artistic ability, I would make a poster or t-shirt with Murphy as a Muppet - named "Rebound," of course.

He would fit right in with Fozzie, kermit and the rest of the gang.

Despite that large frame? He's very undersized for his position. Almost all college players disappear in tons of games. Think about how many they play.

I appreciate people playing along with this somewhat dumb poll.

In 10 years, I believe I'll remember Murphy as a guy I loved watching play, even though he had deficiencies. Its been a long time since I questioned his work ethic and motor. What he has done as an undersized and truthfully under skilled player is nothing short of amazing. I doubt I'll see as prolific a rebounder for the Gophers again in my lifetime and I'm not super old (but I am unhealthy)

Feel for Murphy.

If there were two players on the team better than him he would be the best third best player on a gopher team in history.

As it is he is an okay #1/2 with Coffey.

Feel for Murphy.

If there were two players on the team better than him he would be the best third best player on a gopher team in history.

As it is he is an okay #1/2 with Coffey.

I think he is much better than OK...

Despite that large frame? He's very undersized for his position. Almost all college players disappear in tons of games. Think about how many they play.

No kidding.

The dude led the country in double doubles last year and won Big ten player of the week 3 straight weeks. And we are talking about him disappearing?

with his whole "look" - the hair, the beard, the smile - I see Murphy as the world's biggest Muppet. If I had any artistic ability, I would make a poster or t-shirt with Murphy as a Muppet - named "Rebound," of course.

He would fit right in with Fozzie, kermit and the rest of the gang.

Haha. Nailed it. He is a Muppet

That is really on odd take. That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More than anything else, the toughness. He's the toughest player we've had in a long time.

Then the rebounds, then the hair.

I voted hair, but with that comes his enthusiasm, individualism, work ethic, smile, toughness etc. Seems like down the road we remember people differently. How can you forget for what he's all about?

I will remember Murph for having the quickest second jump off from a missed tip of any previous Gopher. He reminds me of a sane Dennis Rodman. Rodman made a career in the NBA out of rebounding and getting second chance baskets with his quick hops. Murph has those similar quick hops.

The ability to jump explosively and quickly. For his smallish size he is able to out quick bigger guys to get the boards and sometimes buckets.
Plus for his personality on the court. Seems like he would be a great and funny teammate.

I voted hair, but with that comes his enthusiasm, individualism, work ethic, smile, toughness etc. Seems like down the road we remember people differently. How can you forget for what he's all about?

I'll remember him fondly for those reasons. Many of the same reasons why I remember Dusty Rychart fondly: as someone who was a hard worker, a good guy, and fun as hell to watch. Not sure the hairdo would have looked as good on Dusty.

1) Rebounds
2) Double-Doubles
3) The look
4) Being the best player on some frustrating (or sometimes outright bad) teams

And, related to #4, if the Pitino era doesn't last much longer, clearly the most valuable player of that era. Despite the downs, it was always worth tuning in just to watch Murph.

Last edited:

I will remember Murph for having the quickest second jump off from a missed tip of any previous Gopher. He reminds me of a sane Dennis Rodman. Rodman made a career in the NBA out of rebounding and getting second chance baskets with his quick hops. Murph has those similar quick hops.

A Sane Dennis Rodman....I like that. Could also go with a fit Charles Barkley. If he can have an NBA career like either of those guys I am sure he would take that in a heart beat. Both were undersized from a height standpoint but still managed to be great rebounders.

Think it'll take me a long time to forget the sudden, powerful put back dunk at the end of the PSU game. If this season ends up going somewhere that play will loom large. Also seems to possess a lot of positive personal qualities that transcend basketball.

I will remember him as a player that got fouled almost every time he took a shot inside the 10 foot range and got the call about 1/3 of the time it was deserved.

On the flip side they blew the whistle on him all the time when defending.

The officials had no idea how to make calls around Jordan Murphy almost like they did with Shaq. (different level)

I agree with the post above about the powerful dunks, if not grabbed,, karate chopped in the arm, or hit in the face, he just elevated and dunked every time. (officials seemed to miss most of these) Oturo is showing signs of just hammering it down as well.

Last edited:

Improving every year with the Gophers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murphy now number 2 rebounder in B1G history. That is such an heroic feat.

Top Bottom