Toughest Environment for Gopher victory on the road in the B1G

Otis

Reaction score
Just wanted to see which road stadiums at the rarest for the Gophers to win at.

1. Breslin Center - MSU and Izzo. I'd almost rather play Brady/Belichek

2. State Farm Center - Seriously, how bad do the Illini have to suck for us to win in Champagne?

3. Mackey Arena - Put Duke in Gopher uniforms and they still lose by 10 in this place.

4. Kohl Center - I seem to recall a recent victory but I feel as though I must be wrong, cause we don't win there.

5. Assembly Hall - This used to be at the top, but we have scored some pretty lopsided victories there, even over Bobby!

6. Value City Arena - OSU is tough in their discount furniture mansion. We just don't do well there. Maybe this should be higher. I could argue this up to the 4 spot.

7. Carver-Hawkeye Arena - Thank God this is a rivalry game! Otherwise this would be higher.

8. Crisler Center - We play well there. We don't win there much, but we do feel good leaving there.

9. Pinnacle Bank Arena - I have a very negative feel for playing on the road at Nebraska. In all sports.

10. COMCAST Center - This feels way too low, but the Gophers have stolen games here. Not intimidated at this place at all. Thank God Cole Fieldhouse is gone or Maryland would be a nightmare.

11. Bryce Jordan Center - This should mean easy wins, but damn, PSU plays us tough here no matter.

12. Welsh-Ryan Arena - Northwestern is so soft for having voracious fans. I think they did better playing their games downtown.

13. Rutgers Athletic Center - Apparently we lost here once. Not exactly a college GameDay environment though.

Those are my thoughts, but I haven't been to all the stadiums! The harshest visitor environment I've ever experienced remains Hockey Games at "Ralph Englestadt Arena"!

Last edited:

I must have blacked out on that one! Lol!

2. State Farm Center - Seriously, how bad do the Illini have to suck for us to win in Champagne?

3. Mackey Arena - Put Duke in Gopher uniforms and they still lose by 10 in this place.

4. Kohl Center - I seem to recall a recent victory but I feel as though I must be wrong, cause we don't win there.

5. Assembly Hall - This used to be at the top, but we have scored some pretty lopsided victories there, even over Bobby!

6. Value City Arena - OSU is tough in their discount furniture mansion. We just don't do well there. Maybe this should be higher. I could argue this up to the 4 spot.

7. Carver-Hawkeye Arena - Thank God this is a rivalry game! Otherwise this would be higher.

8. Crisler Center - We play well there. We don't win there much, but we do feel good leaving there.

9. Pinnacle Bank Arena - I have a very negative feel for playing on the road at Nebraska. In all sports.

10. COMCAST Center - This feels way too low, but the Gophers have stolen games here. Not intimidated at this place at all. Thank God Cole Fieldhouse is gone or Maryland would be a nightmare.

11. Bryce Jordan Center - This should mean easy wins, but damn, PSU plays us tough here no matter.

12. Welsh-Ryan Arena - Northwestern is so soft for having voracious fans. I think they did better playing their games downtown.

13. Rutgers Athletic Center - Apparently we lost here once. Not exactly a college GameDay environment though.

Those are my thoughts, but I haven't been to all the stadiums! The harshest visitor environment I've ever experienced remains Hockey Games at "Ralph Englestadt Arena"!

Don't think we've ever won at Pinnacle! Fairly new arena obviously.

Broad stroke conclusion: We suck in B1G road games... [emoji41]

Kohl Center, those fans are jerks, we almost had to fight our way out among the drunks! I have been to almost all Big 10 arenas.

I've been to all Big ten arenas except Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland. So, the real Big ten arenas. Many I've been to multiple times.

I'd say the coolest/loudest atmosphere with the most knowledgeable and engaged fans is without a doubt Assembly Hall. The ceiling is like 10 feet above the court and made of solid concrete which amplifies the noise to ridiculous levels. Purdue fans are the most annoying. They boo at every call that goes against them.

Most hazing experienced while wearing gopher gear? The Kohl Center. Not surprising.

I would definitely rank Welsh Ryan above Bryce Jordan as "places tough to win at." The matchup zone, weird lighting and students sooo close to the floor really make it a tough place to play.

Gophers' last road wins vs. each Big Ten opponent

I couldn't help myself. Here are the Gophers' last road wins vs. each Big Ten program, starting with most recent. Columbus appears to be Gophers' biggest road bugaboo. Last win there was the Monson era.

Pitino has road wins over all except Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, and Ohio State. 2018-19 road result noted.

1 Wisconsin (Jan. 3, 2019) -- WON

2 Penn State (Jan. 15, 2018) -- DNP

3 Maryland (Feb. 22, 2017) -- TBD

4 Rutgers (Feb. 11, 2017) -- TBD

5 Illinois (Feb. 4, 2017) -- LOST

6 Northwestern (Jan. 5, 2017) -- TBD

7 Purdue (Jan. 1, 2017) -- TBD

8 Michigan State (Feb. 26, 2015) -- TBD

9 Iowa (Feb. 12, 2015) -- DNP

10 Nebraska (Feb. 5, 2012) -- TBD

11 Indiana (Jan. 12, 2012) -- DNP

12 Michigan (Jan. 22, 2011) -- LOST

13 Ohio State (Jan. 19, 2005) -- LOST

Last edited:

I've been to all Big ten arenas except Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland. So, the real Big ten arenas. Many I've been to multiple times.

I'd say the coolest/loudest atmosphere with the most knowledgeable and engaged fans is without a doubt Assembly Hall. The ceiling is like 10 feet above the court and made of solid concrete which amplifies the noise to ridiculous levels. Purdue fans are the most annoying. They boo at every call that goes against them.

Most hazing experienced while wearing gopher gear? The Kohl Center. Not surprising.

I would definitely rank Welsh Ryan above Bryce Jordan as "places tough to win at." The matchup zone, weird lighting and students sooo close to the floor really make it a tough place to play.

Funny you say that about Purdue. Been to Mackey 4 times and when we walk out of that place everytime we say the same thing. Great place to watch a game, but they complain about EVERYTHING!

I couldn't help myself. Here are the Gophers' last road wins vs. each Big Ten program, starting with most recent. Columbus appears to be Gophers' biggest road bugaboo. Last win there was the Monson era.

Pitino has road wins over all except Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, and Ohio State. 2018-19 road result noted.

Pretty amazing since he is close to 9-44 on the road.

Which arenas still have an old character type of feel still (sort of like Williams)?

I knew OSU was a house of horrors but wow! That is quite a stretch.

Top Bottom