***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

These late game and replay type calls need to all go to a central Big Ten officiating center so actual Conference replay officials not rooted to the independent contract team that works the game can review everything with enhanced monitors and technology. That whole shot clock .2 second problem was inexcusable.

The tired, stressed, sweating on scene officials do not need to be squatting in front of a small monitor in front of a big crowd trying to decide weather to contradict their own call.

Last edited:

I think going forward the Barn needs to be a more hostile environment. Make the refs question if they’ll get out alive. Most other arenas have this. I’ll start at the Iowa game Sunday.

Maybe giving away free tickets with several complementary tequila shots to fill all seats would help the environment Sunday, but either way (regular blue hairs, knitters, and empty seats) I think Iowa is going to lose on Sunday, maybe even by a lot.

I have watched this Iowa team a lot this year, and like their team, but I think this is not going to be their day.

Last edited:

Maybe giving away free tickets with te several complementary tequila shots to fill all seats would help the environment Sunday, but either way (regular blue hairs, knitters, and empty seats) I think Iowa is going to lose on Sunday, maybe even by a lot.

I have watched this Iowa team a lot this year, and like their team, but I think this is not going to be their day.

Now that's an idea. Maybe mix in some Jager and Schlitz Malt Liquor and we could really have home court advantage!

Iowa is gonna be a really tough game!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes, Jager bombs or tequila for the unwashed masses and the elite (non PJ elite) can have their fine wines, cognac, and whatever else they serve in that glorified VFW/ Washburn McGreaevy room behind the east basket.

Maybe giving away free tickets with several complementary tequila shots to fill all seats would help the environment Sunday, but either way (regular blue hairs, knitters, and empty seats) I think Iowa is going to lose on Sunday, maybe even by a lot.

Seems like it should be a good crowd. Just looked for tickets. The Gopher have nothing in the lower level and the re-sale sites are $130-150 for lower level. Uff-da.

Iowa is a very deep team with good roster flexibility and some players that can shoot. I would not expect them to hit shots Sunday like they did this last weekend, when they rained in 3s.

They seem to play about 10 or more players in the regular rotation, with several taking turns in rising up and making an impact from game to game. (Cook, Garza and Bohannon are threats, but Kriener, Moss, Baer, and Weiskamp can also rise up and take over)

Being forced to play good transition defense and getting beat on the boards, as well as pressure defense and limiting their ability to get good perimeter looks would go a long way towards a blow out win.

Last edited:

Iowa is a very deep team with good roster flexibility and some players that can shoot. I would not expect them to hit shots Sunday like they did this last weekend, when they rained in 3s.

They seem to play about 10 or more players in the regular rotation, with several taking turns in rising up and making an impact from game to game. (Cook, Garza and Bohannon are threats, but Kriener, Moss, Baer, and Weiskamp can also rise up and take over)

Being forced to play good transition defense and getting beat on the boards, as well as pressure defense and limiting their ability to get good perimeter looks would go a long way towards a blow out win.

Iowa is very workman like team. They don't rise or fall on the individual efforts of a couple of players. They're better shooters than us but they're probably not as physical inside as us. I don't know who wins but I doubt the margin will be large.

Iowa is very workman like team. They don't rise or fall on the individual efforts of a couple of players. They're better shooters than us but they're probably not as physical inside as us. I don't know who wins but I doubt the margin will be large.

I agree that they are not especially physical, although very hard working. A lot of the impact rebounding/ inside defender types tend to be on the skinny side.

I am not sure they can handle Coffey and Murphy if both on fire, and Oturo and Curry could beat them up inside as well.

I think if the perimeter shots do not fall, we play physical BB, and a loud old fashioned Williams Crowd is there, Iowa might all apart and lost by 15-20 or more.

I agree that they are not especially physical, although very hard working. A lot of the impact rebounding/ inside defender types tend to be on the skinny side.

I am not sure they can handle Coffey and Murphy if both on fire, and Oturo and Curry could beat them up inside as well.

I think if the perimeter shots do not fall, we play physical BB, and a loud old fashioned Williams Crowd is there, Iowa might all apart and lost by 15-20 or more.

That's pretty optimistic...the Gopher bigs have a tendency to get into foul trouble, and it definitely had an impact, tonight.

Gophers absolutely have to win these next 2 games at home against Iowa and Illinois. Schedule gets very tough after that with @Purdue, Wisconsin, @Michigan State and @Nebraska. Pitino has said how tough it is to win on the road in the B1G...well it hasn't been tough to win at Williams Arena during his tenure and that has to change immediately if he wants to see a 7th year. Can probably only afford one more home loss this year and we will see Purdue and Michigan come to the Barn later in the season.

That's pretty optimistic...the Gopher bigs have a tendency to get into foul trouble, and it definitely had an impact, tonight.

Probably too optimistic, but I think even Matz can have an impact vs the two Iowa Bigs, and the other three can overwhelm them. I think Curry is close to being back, and showing signs of trusting his knee again.

Gophers absolutely have to win these next 2 games at home against Iowa and Illinois. Schedule gets very tough after that with @Purdue, Wisconsin, @Michigan State and @Nebraska. Pitino has said how tough it is to win on the road in the B1G...well it hasn't been tough to win at Williams Arena during his tenure and that has to change immediately if he wants to see a 7th year. Can probably only afford one more home loss this year and we will see Purdue and Michigan come to the Barn later in the season.

Winning at home requires both strong effort/play by the team and consistent vocal support from the crowd. Can't just make noise when we go on a run.

Only 9 healthy players average 10 minutes or more for Iowa.

Minnesota has only won one game by double figures against a power 6 opponent.

Now that's an idea. Maybe mix in some Jager and Schlitz Malt Liquor and we could really have home court advantage!
Free brass knuckles and ski masks to the first 1000 fans that show up!

Iowa poor performances are correlated with the opposing team's PG's. Iowa can outscore and get enough stops against teams without a standout PG. Edwards and Winston were too much to handle. If Iowa cannot guard the other team's PG, they go zone. That's how Iowa limited Nebraska enough to win.

Minnesota has no ideal starting PG. They've struggled against the zone. Gophers better hope that Washington steps up or they are in trouble.

man these offensive draughts this team has are horrible! we did a pretty decent job of in the first half and moving the ball and getting the ball inside. 2nd half we went back to way to much dribbling and way too much of putting the head down and driving uncontrollably into the lane!

we needed Michigan to have a bad game to win. And they certainly did! they shot 33.9% from the field. 13.6% from 3 point range. 63.6% from the FT line. awesome 10-0 run to end the game but came up just a tad short

man these offensive draughts this team has are horrible! we did a pretty decent job of in the first half and moving the ball and getting the ball inside. 2nd half we went back to way to much dribbling and way too much of putting the head down and driving uncontrollably into the lane!

we needed Michigan to have a bad game to win. And they certainly did! they shot 33.9% from the field. 13.6% from 3 point range. 63.6% from the FT line. awesome 10-0 run to end the game but came up just a tad short

I'll give the Gophs defense credit for some of MI's poor shooting. Very few shots went uncontested. That effort could have been a contributing factor in the 2 fouls at the 3-point line too (which was maddening).

Minnesota has no ideal starting PG. They've struggled against the zone. Gophers better hope that Washington steps up or they are in trouble.

Were you watching last night?

Sure, anybody can have an off night. That's realistic.

I'll give the Gophs defense credit for some of MI's poor shooting. Very few shots went uncontested. That effort could have been a contributing factor in the 2 fouls at the 3-point line too (which was maddening).

well not really. they missed a ton of wide open shots. They looked like the Gophers shooting most of the game. that was our only way to keep this game close....hope they shot poorly...and they certainly did

and I agree those 2 fouls at the 3 point line were horrible. that guy is like a 30% 3 point shooter as well.

Wow! looking at the stats we outplayed them in almost all: FG%, 3pt%, FT %, outreb them by 10.

Turnovers killed us: 16 to 6.
They also had 9 steals to our 2?

How teams like Illinois and Michigan can play aggressive Defense without fouling really separates us.

Should be a no brainer to go inside they play 1 center, 1 forward and 3 guards when Teske is in there. When he's not its 1 or 2 forwards and 3 guards. We are one of the few teams nationwide who don't play a stretch 4 who can hit 3's.

Noticed Curry had more bounce tonight athletically maybe its returning.

Wow! looking at the stats we outplayed them in almost all: FG%, 3pt%, FT %, outreb them by 10.

Turnovers killed us: 16 to 6.
They also had 9 steals to our 2?

How teams like Illinois and Michigan can play aggressive Defense without fouling really separates us.

Should be a no brainer to go inside they play 1 center, 1 forward and 3 guards when Teske is in there. When he's not its 1 or 2 forwards and 3 guards. We are one of the few teams nationwide who don't play a stretch 4 who can hit 3's.

The teams poor shooting is the result of some pretty damn good defense. That gives you a great chance to win if you take care of the ball. 16 empty possessions are the killer. Cut those down to that 11-12 range and you get the win. Wonder what our record is the last 6 years with 16 turnovers, of course in many of those the defense was terrible. Pitino gets it now, he touched on it after the Penn State game when he said " maybe this is how we have to win games. Play games in the 50's and 60's with great defense, better care of the ball. This has been my gripe from day one ! You get games in the 70's and 80's on hot shooting nights but you should never be out defended or have more turnovers.

Noticed Curry had more bounce tonight athletically maybe its returning.

I thought he played well. Man, if he can round into form over the next week or two, we could be really tough. He provides some stuff Murphy and Oturu don't, namely the ability to score from outside of 3 feet.

The shot clock appeared to have expired on Charles Matthews shot from the baseline. The possession started at 30.9, and the shot left his hand, at minimum, at .8 left on the clock. It was too close to call and you couldn't overturn the call on the floor even with a review. Not clear-cut evidence to wipe it off.

That said, the Gophers should've had a possession with .8 left. The clock stops when the ball is in the basket. Not sure why that's not being talked about either. I realize the chances of going the length of the court in that situation are virtually zero, but they should've at least had a possession.

Love the fight the Gophers had down 10 to force the tie, but don't get down 10 and go nearly 10 minutes without a field goal. That's a completely different team than the one that was at Illinois. But dear God, Washington was horrible last night. Hopefully he learns from it.

I thought he played well. Man, if he can round into form over the next week or two, we could be really tough. He provides some stuff Murphy and Oturu don't, namely the ability to score from outside of 3 feet.

And we can do some things defensively better with him in the game.

Top Bottom