***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

The clock stops when the ball is in the basket. Not sure why that's not being talked about either.

My recollection from last night is that the ball left his hand way before the red lights on the backboard lit up, and they lit up way before the ball was even close to the basket.

It was just an amazing buzzer beater shot.

If you look at the team stat line your first blush would be we won...until you get to turnovers. THAT was the game changer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you look at the team stat line your first blush would be we won...until you get to turnovers. THAT was the game changer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. And it isn't just IW - although he did hurt us. The other factor is our guys crashing into the lane and just tossing balls up at the rim or getting stuffed and tied up (Coffey and Murphy). I watched Beilein at the half talk about his players not recognizing the difference between a good shot and a bad shot in the first half. Bad shots are like turnovers and we took a lot of bad shots in the lane.

Oturu really struggled last night as well. A lot of unforced turnovers.

However, I think he is going to be a beast next year and beyond.

On Pitino's radio show, he was talking about how the Gophers have to get transition offense, because they keep bogging down when they have to play half-court offense for too long of a stretch. That's not coming from a fan - that's the head coach talking. he's obviously aware of the situation, and I assume he's trying to fix it, but it still keeps happening.

I realize the personnel may not be perfect for it, but I would still like to see the Gophers try some full-court or half-court press defense. That is one way to create turnovers and get into transition offense, and force the tempo of the game. of course, if the other team breaks the press, they can get some quick baskets. But, sometimes you have to gamble to make things happen.

My recollection from last night is that the ball left his hand way before the red lights on the backboard lit up, and they lit up way before the ball was even close to the basket.

It was just an amazing buzzer beater shot.

The red lights you're referencing are for regulation time, not the shot clock. He clearly got it off before the regulation clock hit zero. It was extremely close on the shot clock, but one of those where the call on the court wasn't going to over-turned even with a review. Wasn't clear-cut either way, as Pitino said.

Bottom line is don't put yourself in that situation to begin with, getting down 13 and going nearly 7 minutes without a field goal. Beat Iowa Sunday, please.

The biggest mistake with the clock in my opinion is them not adding time after Gabe's 3 pointer. I believe it would have added about half a second.

The biggest mistake with the clock in my opinion is them not adding time after Gabe's 3 pointer. I believe it would have added about half a second.

Yes- I think the basket was in at about 31.9 so the Gophs would have had about 2 seconds.

We also rolled the ball up court to preserve time, and it was picked up right about half court. Maybe we should have eaten more time.

Maybe, coulda, shoulda, next time, etc. etc. etc.

Damn frustrating. I hope the team takes the good from this game and builds on it for Iowa.

We also rolled the ball up court to preserve time, and it was picked up right about half court. Maybe we should have eaten more time.

Maybe, coulda, shoulda, next time, etc. etc. etc.

Damn frustrating. I hope the team takes the good from this game and builds on it for Iowa.

I don't think that would have mattered. It would have just meant that Michigan wouldn't have sat there with the ball near half court as long on their last possession.

The idea of going fast there is it possibly gets you another possession. Michigan still had to worry about the shot clock so it's possible with a quick rebound and timeout, we could have had a few seconds to try and score again.

On Pitino's radio show, he was talking about how the Gophers have to get transition offense, because they keep bogging down when they have to play half-court offense for too long of a stretch. That's not coming from a fan - that's the head coach talking. he's obviously aware of the situation, and I assume he's trying to fix it, but it still keeps happening.

I realize the personnel may not be perfect for it, but I would still like to see the Gophers try some full-court or half-court press defense. That is one way to create turnovers and get into transition offense, and force the tempo of the game. of course, if the other team breaks the press, they can get some quick baskets. But, sometimes you have to gamble to make things happen.

The problem with this is we are not quicker than most opponents. When our press would break down, it puts our bigs guarding the basket into even greater risk of foul trouble, usually an issue we struggle with on our own. We'd have Murphy and Oturu in serious foul trouble in 5 minutes.

Yesterday's game was one of the strangest I've ever seen--so streaky, first one team then the other. Michigan was fortunate to end up winning.

Yep. And it isn't just IW - although he did hurt us. The other factor is our guys crashing into the lane and just tossing balls up at the rim or getting stuffed and tied up (Coffey and Murphy). I watched Beilein at the half talk about his players not recognizing the difference between a good shot and a bad shot in the first half. Bad shots are like turnovers and we took a lot of bad shots in the lane.

Washington's play really hurt, but it's a team loss. Murphy picking up a needless early foul setting a screen and having to sit down let Michigan right the ship. Coffey has stretches where he's out of control. Those are our leaders. They just can't seem to find a groove all together. But it's also the league. Pretty sure we're not the only bunch of fans trying to figure their team out.

If we could trust our bigs with not fouling, I think we have some interesting 1-3-1 half court options. Coffey or McBrayer would make an excellent 1 at the top. We usually rebound well enough that we wouldn't get killed.

Top Bottom