***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

So seriously, how is this possible? 2 tenths were added to the shot clock.

f1587202df423b241da71966fbf659be.jpg
8279d08baa83415673010d109f8014a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Once again the problem is the terrible stretches. You can't get outscored 23-3 or whatever it was and expect to win. They look so incompetent on offense at times. Where was the inside game in the 2nd half?

But it was nice to see the comeback. I thought it was going to turn into a blowout.

Hard to be consistent with terrible guard play.
We have
1 center (oturu)
2 power forwards (Murphy and curry)
3 small forwards (Coffey and McBrayer)
1 shooting guard (Gabe)

Washington

Hot garbage

We are short a whole position. And it is the position that drives college basketball. It is the position that gets the most touches. It is the position that drives consistency or inconsistency.

Yup.

Brutal.
Probably broken the whole night an nobody notices until it matters. Big ten probably tells them to quit playing with a 30.2 second shot clock tomorrow morning.

The defense this team plays- other than the Illinois game- is pretty decent. The shooting is the big issue for this team. I think that in a lot of cases the lack of ability to shoot from long range or midrange cause them to shoot shots in traffic or turn it over in traffic. Most of our turnovers tonight were the result of forcing it into traffic.

Build off this...win 3 of the next 4 or all 4 and things start to look different. It can be done.

Well the good was the Gophers played with a lot of effort for most of the game. It was also encouraging that they played through the end and forced a tie game when the game looked completely in control for the Wolverines.

The bad was a completely inept offense. I want to be encouraged by the final score/mostly competitive game against an elite team like Michigan, but how does this team score consistently in the half court? They do nothing to get the defense off balance and create space for either an attack or an open perimeter shooter. The bigs lost so many balls in the paint and when they did hold on to the ball struggle to finish. Amir can't get to the rack against good defenders and when he can't hit a perimeter shot like tonight that's a recipe for an ugly stat line. The turnovers came from everyone and were a huge reason why the Gophers lost the game.

Isaiah played one of his worst games as a Gopher on both ends of the floor. It was really hard to believe watching him tonight that he was a borderline top 50 kid coming out of high school. Poor decision making, ugly shots, and looked like a below average athlete out there trying to penetrate on offense and stay in front of guys on defense.

The buzzer beater just sucked. When the Gophers tied it, my expectations for things going my way watching sports are so low that I just hoped Michigan would score with enough time for the Gophers to attempt a game winning 3. Instead, I (we) are further tortured by Michigan running the clock down and getting rejected at the rim...only for the ball to bounce out to Matthews whose fingertips were still on the ball with less than .1 seconds left in the game.

The Gophers got homered a bit tonight too. The call on Murphy lowering his shoulder in the paint when he was about to score was baffling. It was nothing egregious, but I'd really like the same courtesy at Williams Arena going forward.

I missed IWs turnover fest. Sounds like Pitino should have yanked him sooner.

He has the handles and the vision but lacks poise and PG sensibility in addition to be being a terrible shooter.
I wonder if he will be able to bounce back from this one.

I missed IWs turnover fest. Sounds like Pitino should have yanked him sooner.

He has the handles and the vision but lacks poise and PG sensibility in addition to be being a terrible shooter.
I wonder if he will be able to bounce back from this one.

IW hasn't been turnover prone until tonight. He has a pretty solid assist to turnover ratio. His shot selection has been my bigger concern.

Was it 30.9 or 30.7 when they put it in play?

I didn’t see that. It was 24.7 when they called the TO.

I was going by the shot clock on the backboard. Looked like to me he just beat the shot clock violation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have video proof that the shot clock keeper at Michigan Cheated.

They are disqualified and we get the victory. Someone send to the Big Ten.

The defense this team plays- other than the Illinois game- is pretty decent. The shooting is the big issue for this team. I think that in a lot of cases the lack of ability to shoot from long range or midrange cause them to shoot shots in traffic or turn it over in traffic. Most of our turnovers tonight were the result of forcing it into traffic.

I don't see this team screen very often for outside shooters or maybe every player who gets a screen decides he must drive toward the basket. We also don't go inside and back outside with the ball very often. That helps to get some quick outside shots.

This doesn't accidentally happen. It is intentional, to ensure the other team has less time should their be a rebound and a timeout. Shot clock operator just got caught this time because it mattered. Who has Jim Delaneys email address.

I didn’t see that. It was 24.7 when they called the TO.

I was going by the shot clock on the backboard. Looked like to me he just beat the shot clock violation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They inbounded the ball with 30.9 on the clock. Shot at .7 meaning a 30.2 second shot clock. Clearly a shot clock violation and should have been a turnover. Big 10ndoes it again keeping their darlings Michigan on the winning side of things. Some lawyer somewhere should sue!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IW hasn't been turnover prone until tonight. He has a pretty solid assist to turnover ratio. His shot selection has been my bigger concern.

That's mostly true. He did have a terrible game tonight and since he doesn't appear to have much margin for error with Pitino that may limit his playing time next game. He'll continue to play though. Gophers really don't have much choice. Stull is simply too un-athletic and unconfident to play substantial minutes against most Big Ten teams.

Just saw the score. That's a heartbreaker. Glad we showed fight though. It gives me some optimism going forward.

Listened on the radio. Can’t turn the ball over like that (minus 10 turnover differential) on the road and hope to win. IW sounded out of control several times. Needs to get his screws back in place. We’ll need him

It's weird because it indeed was 30.9 when the shot clock was set at 30. Then they brought it up court and call time out and it does go to 24.7 on the game and 24 on the shot. How does that happen???

I really enjoyed seen Gabe take and make the contested 3 to tie the game. I would like to see him start hunting his shot more behind the arc, including off the dribble.

That's mostly true. He did have a terrible game tonight and since he doesn't appear to have much margin for error with Pitino that may limit his playing time next game. He'll continue to play though. Gophers really don't have much choice. Stull is simply too un-athletic and unconfident to play substantial minutes against most Big Ten teams.

I agree. So frustrating that our best point guard option was forced to sit this year. They just don't have the depth at that position to maximize their ability.

That was a godawful call. Unbelievable.

Yet another awful BS charge call in CBB. The officials just love making these dramatic charge calls with over the top showboat motions included.

McBrayer saw that Teske? was setting up in the lane to take a charge, so he made a jump stop and immediately moved sharp his right to avoid a charge. The Michican (not exactly lightning quick) defender then reacted and slid into McBrayer and fell down. Easy block call every time.

The official was standing right under the basket, and there is no way he did not see the Michigan player setting his feet in a spot to be "set" for the charge, then plowing into/under McBrayer once he realized McBrayer was not going to run over him. McBrayer moved away from the defender who then moved and hit him. BS all round

Terrible, inexcusable call.

The charge against Murphy late was not as bad but very questionable as well.

Poor Murphy gets hit, chopped, slapped and bumped all day long when he has the ball, then when he "lowers his shoulder", with no push off with an off arm vs a 250 pounder who has been banging him al game they blow the whistle.

After the alleged charge, the Michigan big did not even fall down or lost his position. Terrible call

I really enjoyed seen Gabe take and make the contested 3 to tie the game. I would like to see him start hunting his shot more behind the arc, including off the dribble.

He had a few looks that were off the dribble. Curious to see if he can extend his range at all next year. Big kid and a great looking stroke. Hoffarber extended his range and became way harder to guard

Beyond frustrating that the shot clock didn’t operate correctly. That’s inexcusable.

As for the game itself, man we shot ourselves in the foot time and again. TO and undisciplined fouls (at least two 3s!). For the life of me I can’t figure out what we are going for on offense. So much standing around and threatless passing around the perimeter. I think we gotta feed the ball inside more. Murphy and coffee trying to plow through the entire defense isn’t going to work. Not surprising our offense suffers greatly when we can’t get stops because it means half court.

Proud of the effort and comeback, though. Also nice to see Gabe stroke it in clutch time. If we play with that energy and intensity the rest of the way we should be a tourney team.

I'm going to start a petition to have the conference replay the end of the game. Who's with me?

I'm in. I hate it when the "officials," even after a long review can't get it right!! There has to be something that can be done to force the league to clear up junk like this!!

The offensive foul in Murphy was the right call. You can just lower your shoulder into defenders in proper guarding position. Textbook.

The offensive foul in Murphy was the right call. You can just lower your shoulder into defenders in proper guarding position. Textbook.

I just watched the replay- I beg to differ. That call was garbage.

It's weird because it indeed was 30.9 when the shot clock was set at 30. Then they brought it up court and call time out and it does go to 24.7 on the game and 24 on the shot. How does that happen???

I just finished watching the game, and didn't think about the discrepancy until I started looking on Gopherhole. They should have a legitimate complaint, as it is all evident on video. I wonder what the conference will do to rectify the situation, other than considering the game to be a tie. This kind of excitement is unique to the Gopher fan!

I just finished watching the game, and didn't think about the discrepancy until I started looking on Gopherhole. They should have a legitimate complaint, as it is all evident on video. I wonder what the conference will do to rectify the situation, other than considering the game to be a tie. This kind of excitement is unique to the Gopher fan!

Nothing is what the conference will do.

Top Bottom