Zack Annexstad and Jordan Howden get scholarships

Burns also mentioned someone going to San Jose state. Quinn Oseland? Sorry I can't remember. Also might be old news

6th Year Medical (1)
Rodney Smith

Redshirt Senior (5)
Shannon Brooks
Chris Williamson
Winston DeLattiboudere
Bryce Witham
Sam Renner (was awarded scholarship in spring of 2018, will he remain on scholarship?)

Senior (5)
Tyler Johnson
Tai'yon Devers
Kamal Martin
Thomas Barber
Carter Coughlin

Redshirt Junior (12)
Jason Dickson
Antoine Winfield Jr. (likely to have 3 seasons left via 6th Year Medical)
Coney Durr
Seth Green
Phillip Howard
Calvin Swenson (was awarded scholarship in fall of 2018, will he remain on scholarship?)
Kiondre Thomas
Ko Kieft
Bailey Schoenfelder (was awarded scholarship in fall of 2018, will he remain on scholarship?)
Conner Olson
Sam Schlueter
Ben Davis

Junior (1)
Justus Harris

Redshirt Sophomore (18)
Nate Umlor
Tanner Morgan
Chris Autman-Bell
Trenton Guthrie
Esezi Otomewo
Mohamed Ibrahim
Grant Ryerse
John Michael Schmitz
Boye Mafe
Malcolm Robinson
Kyle Sassack
Blaise Andries
Jake Paulson
Brock Annexstad (was awarded scholarship fall 2018, will he remain on scholarship?)
Demetrius Douglas
Harry Van Dyne
Noah Hickcox
Nathan Bursch

Sophomore (10)
Terell Smith
Daniel Faalele
Thomas Rush
Rashod Bateman
Bryce Williams
Benny Sapp III
Jamaal Teague
Mariano Sori-Marin
Jordan Howden
Zack Annexstad

Redshirt Freshmen (14)
Austin Beier
Nathan Boe
Jack York
Erik Gibson
Brevyn Spann-Ford
Mayan Ahanotu
Abi N-Okonji
Nolan Edmonds
Jornell Manns
Braelen Oliver
CJ Smith
Alex Reigelsperger
Josh Aune
Curtis Dunlap Jr.

2018 Scholarship Underclassmen I Did Not Include
Dominik London
Jonathan Femi-Cole
Colton Beebe
Quinn Oseland
Bronson Dovich
Rey Estes
Royal Silver (no longer listed on GopherSports roster)

Incoming Early Enrollees (12)
Rashad Cheney
Keonte Schad
Jacob Clark
JJ Guedet
Jason Williamson
Treyson Potts
Mike Brown-Stephens
Solomon Brown
Logan Richter
Cole Kramer
Kelvin Clemmons
Brady Weeks

Total Current Scholarship Count For 2019

Incoming Class This Summer/Fall (9)
Tyler Nubin
Nnamdi Adim-Madumere
James Gordon IV
Donald Willis
D'Vion Harris
MJ Anderson
DeAngelo Carter
Cameron Wiley
Michael Lantz

Incoming Transfers (2)
Micah Dew-Treadway
Randall Grimes

2019 Commits Not Yet Signed(1)
Kristian Williams

Total Future Scholarship Count For 2019
89 without Williams
90 with Williams

So we have 4 or possibly 5 spots that need to open up. Does that mean former walk-ons (Renner, Swenson, Schoenfelder, B Annexstad) that were award scholarships in the past we a 1 year thing? Are there other transfers we don't yet know about? Or retirements?

Last edited:

Awesome list, thank you! I think you’re still missing someone, as I think it should be 92 with Silver and KW. I’ll look later to see who the last one is.

Royal Silver is brand new info to us that hasn’t been announced yet, but I believe it. DT was getting to be a crowded position with some very high profile freshman/transfers coming in.

Doh! OK I found my mistake. The grid I posted did indeed list Aune, but as a LB rather than a safety. That's why I missed him.

Meaning 90 is correct for that grid with Williams, plus Grims is 91, Dew-Treadway for OJ Smith, and then Royal Silver is a variable.

So WinLoseOrTy's analysis is exactly correct, per the publicly known info to date. Other than Royal Silver (unless that was just a mistake), I don't think we're going to hear about anything else until after Feb signing (if KW signs or not), and then not until after spring ball.

Would be really, really stinky to take away Renner's scholly, if it comes down to that. The other three haven't done much on the field, so would be easier to swallow, and they aren't seniors either.

EDIT: per other thread, Royal Silver is confirmed gone. So without/with KW, they're at 89/90.

Last edited:

Doh! OK I found my mistake. The grid I posted did indeed list Aune, but as a LB rather than a safety. That's why I missed him.

Meaning 90 is correct for that grid with Williams, plus Grims is 91, Dew-Treadway for OJ Smith, and then Royal Silver is a variable.

So WinLoseOrTy's analysis is exactly correct, per the publicly known info to date. Other than Royal Silver (unless that was just a mistake), I don't think we're going to hear about anything else until after Feb signing (if KW signs or not), and then not until after spring ball.

Would be really, really stinky to take away Renner's scholly, if it comes down to that. The other three haven't done much on the field, so would be easier to swallow, and they aren't seniors either.

EDIT: per other thread, Royal Silver is confirmed gone. So without/with KW, they're at 89/90.

Gotta think the answer is that those scholly's were for the season only. Can the BIG 10 do that?

The rules protecting scholarships went into place in 2016, but only apply if the student-athlete got the scholarship as a freshman. So yes, they can do it, in each of the four cases.

Hope they'll make an exception for Renner's case. REAL stinky .... guy is gonna be a senior, and was a huge contributor last season. Is that how they want to treat walk-ons who earn their scholarships the old fashioned way and then actually contribute? Hope not

The rules protecting scholarships went into place in 2016, but only apply if the student-athlete got the scholarship as a freshman. So yes, they can do it, in each of the four cases.

Hope they'll make an exception for Renner's case. REAL stinky .... guy is gonna be a senior, and was a huge contributor last season. Is that how they want to treat walk-ons who earn their scholarships the old fashioned way and then actually contribute? Hope not

It depends upon the context of the scholarship.

Scholarships often open up at a time when it's too late for us to add people or we're trying to "save" a scholarship for the next season. In the spring, coaches often have a scholarship open up. It would be insane to not let one of these walk-ons have it. So in many of these situations, the coach is 100% up front that the scholarship is for a season and if another one opens up next year, it's all yours too.

If that's the situation, it's not bad at all.

Could also be that somebody is graduating this spring and then grad transferring out? Would explain why they wouldn't be leaving yet.

Scholarships often open up at a time when it's too late for us to add people or we're trying to "save" a scholarship for the next season. In the spring, coaches often have a scholarship open up. It would be insane to not let one of these walk-ons have it. So in many of these situations, the coach is 100% up front that the scholarship is for a season and if another one opens up next year, it's all yours too.

In my worthless opinion (<-- please read and comprehend that I said that, first) .... this is still dressing up a turd. At the end of the day, it would still be saying "Yeah look Sam ... you've done use a great service, and you're going to play a lot as a senior, as well as be a mentor and a leader out there ..... but we need to take your scholarship away from you so we can give it to someone else". That just doesn't sit right with me.

BUT, if it has to be done ... it is what it is. I'm not going to quit Gopher football over it.

Could also be that somebody is graduating this spring and then grad transferring out? Would explain why they wouldn't be leaving yet.

If the player knew right now that this was his plan, he'd be in the portal now and looking for a new home.

Rather, I think what we'll see is that the players in the program now are at least going to give it a go this spring, and see where the chips fall. If it looks bleak after that ... that's when I think we're going to see more announcements of guys moving on. That's my wild guess.

Aren't scholarships awarded to walk-ons for one year with possibility of renewal, but not guaranteed?

Good. I just thought it was kind of assumed that ZA would get a scholarship this year since based on what I can remember.......didn't he pretty much forgo his scholly to open one up for his highly recruied teammate o-lineman (Danlap)?

Aren't scholarships awarded to walk-ons for one year with possibility of renewal, but not guaranteed?

All scholarships are renewed and cannot be taken away for football reasons.

Now that two walk-ons (Annexstad & Howden) are receiving scholarships, does that mean that Kristian Williams is not coming?

Agreed

In my worthless opinion (<-- please read and comprehend that I said that, first) .... this is still dressing up a turd. At the end of the day, it would still be saying "Yeah look Sam ... you've done use a great service, and you're going to play a lot as a senior, as well as be a mentor and a leader out there ..... but we need to take your scholarship away from you so we can give it to someone else". That just doesn't sit right with me.

BUT, if it has to be done ... it is what it is. I'm not going to quit Gopher football over it.

Disagree. IMO it would actually hurt the walk on program to be bound to honor a WO scholarship for multiple years. Like Bob mentioned, if for some reason the Gophers had a late scholarship open up for whatever reason, would a coach give a walk on a scholarship if he knew that scholarship would be tied up for the next 2-3 seasons? Or would they bank that scholarship for the next class? I would guess the latter. That would be doing a larger disservice to the player.

If another scholarship opens up then that player can be on scholarship again the next year. Or if that player vastly outperforms expectations (i.e. Cashman - starter, All B1G play) then you figure it out. I love stories like Renner. And if PJ determines he needs to remain on scholarship he would have/will figure out a way.

Last edited:

I think if you have players like Cashman who worked hard and proved themselves, by all means give them a scholarship. There will be scholarship players all the time who will not pan out and transfer. I like the Gophers' open competition. You put the best players on the field and/or develop them to be great players. It doesn't matter to me if they are walk-ons or scholarship players.

If HS players see that there is a reasonable chance of earning a scholarship through hard work by the number of scholarships offered to walk-ons, more of them might pause going to FCS programs. When they truly want to be Gophers, they may consider it worthwhile to walk on. They will be in a developmental program in a Big Ten school with a chance to compete for a starting role.

Last edited:

Question for those much more educated on the scholarship thing:
Can a player receive an academic scholarship vs athletic one and it not count?
I’m curious. I have no clue on how scholarship numbers work. Thanks in advance to anyone providing clarity.

I’m curious. I have no clue on how scholarship numbers work. Thanks in advance to anyone providing clarity.

I would think you can walk on and be on an academic scholarship. Who knows?

No they cannot.
They also don’t allow a school to give a player a scholarship in a lower rev sport (ex: baseball) and have them “walk on” for a higher rev sport (ex: football).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't belive so.

If they did there'd be a bunch of random "Jimmy's Car Dealership Scholarship" and suddenly unlimited scholarships...

What is funny is that in the ivy league it works the other way. No athletic scholarships, but based on need (the requirements are quite generous)... most folks get grants and such.

Agreed

Disagree. IMO it would actually hurt the walk on program to be bound to honor a WO scholarship for multiple years. Like Bob mentioned, if for some reason the Gophers had a late scholarship open up for whatever reason, would a coach give a walk on a scholarship if he knew that scholarship would be tied up for the next 2-3 seasons? Or would they bank that scholarship for the next class? I would guess the latter. That would be doing a larger disservice to the player.

If another scholarship opens up then that player can be on scholarship again the next year. Or if that player vastly outperforms expectations (i.e. Cashman - starter, All B1G play) then you figure it out. I love stories like Renner. And if PJ determines he needs to remain on scholarship he would have/will figure out a way.

You're 100% correct.

A coach would be foolish to use most of his available spring scholarships if this was the case. It would mean coaches would sit on scholarships because he didn't want to break his word (even though in the rationale scenario, the coach would be being upfront).

"Hey, this is a scholarship open for this year, you've done a great job and we'd like to award you with the scholarship" is a tremendous story.

I don't belive so.

If they did there'd be a bunch of random "Jimmy's Car Dealership Scholarship" and suddenly unlimited scholarships...

Still happens, probably more so in the SEC but judging by what some of the athletes were driving when I went to the U, I think it went on here at one point as well.

No they cannot.

Would have to see the rule language, but I think this is the key: is the scholarship open and available to all students on campus, or is it restricted to student-athletes? Also, was the awarding process blind to being an athlete? I would bet there is language in there somewhere, to that effect.

And that would be difficult to prove, if it ever got audited. So my guess is, they just don't mess around with it.

However, when it comes to FAFSA, I guarantee you that every guy on the team who isn't on scholarship, applies for FAFSA. And they absolutely should. Pretty good chance of landing grants or no/low interest subsidized loans. Would be dumb not to see what you can qualify for. And it is absolutely allowed, and doesn't count against the 85.

They also don’t allow a school to give a player a scholarship in a lower rev sport (ex: baseball) and have them “walk on” for a higher rev sport (ex: football).

This is for sure correct. There is a whole hierarchy of sports ... and any multi-sport athlete receiving a scholarship from any team, that scholarship will get "moved up" to count against the highest sport in the hierarchy.

All these rules, mind you, they came up with at one time or another because they figured out people were gaming the system. It's too bad, but that's how it goes.

Last edited:

You're 100% correct.

A coach would be foolish to use most of his available spring scholarships if this was the case. It would mean coaches would sit on scholarships because he didn't want to break his word (even though in the rationale scenario, the coach would be being upfront).

"Hey, this is a scholarship open for this year, you've done a great job and we'd like to award you with the scholarship" is a tremendous story.

But I'm not advocating that when a walk-on earns a scholarship, that it should be protected for the rest of his career here. I don't think it should work like that.

I agree with you, WO schollys should be one year deals that are renewed each year, depending on performance and team needs.

I was simply lamenting the idea that Renner's scholly might not be renewed, for X,Y,Z reasons.

Top Bottom