Tonight is a free shot on the road vs. the #5 team

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gophers should play as such. No reason at all to play tight tonight. Let it fricking rip.

playing an upset Michigan team coming off their 1st lose is just bad timing.

if this game is within 15 I would be surprised.

Yeah .... that upset in Madison kinda ruined it for us. I agree. Bad timing.

Doesn't mean we will automatically get destroyed, or even lose. But Michigan is going to be playing as hard as they have all season. They do not want two losses, and especially to lose at home.

For the record, Wisconsin was coming off a loss when we beat them.

I’m just hoping we don’t lose by more than 15-20 points. We’ve got to prove our road win at Wisky wasn’t a fluke.

Pitino has said this team hasnt done well at punching back against opponents. Could get ugly if Michigan comes out hot at the start. Mental toughness and refusal to be bullied ather important tonight.

Michigan could also come out tight not wanting to lose two games in a row. I think we match up with well with Michigan.

I just don't see Michigan being "mad" about losing to Whiskey at Whisky.

Keep them off the 3pt line and it should be under 10pt loss......Don't and it will get ugly fast.
Poole is a stud 3pt shooter. I would imagine that DM will guard him.

I was at Crisler Center for last year's matchup, and I remember walking into the building assuming a 20 point beat down. Turned out that the Gophers matched up pretty well against the Wolverines, and the Gophers even pushed that game into OT. I don't expect a victory, but I do expect them to be competitive.

I was at Crisler Center for last year's matchup, and I remember walking into the building assuming a 20 point beat down. Turned out that the Gophers matched up pretty well against the Wolverines, and the Gophers even pushed that game into OT. I don't expect a victory, but I do expect them to be competitive.

They could have won that game. IW was ridiculous. 32 minutes, 11/16 FGs, 1/2 on 3s, 3/3 on FTs, 26 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover.

Many Gopherholers blamed him for the loss for shooting too much (I assume, seems like what would happen if he scored 100 points on 50/50 shooting and we lost 101-100)

not sure IW will get even close to that much playing time today. He would need to guard Simpson..... and he is fast.

The two people we don't match up with are Brzekias (sp) and Poole. Had Curry not injured his knee, he might have guarded one of the two, but as it is, there is a struggle to matchup.
Michigan uses four guards and one center. Can Murphy guard the perimeter? I'm not convinced. I can see three or four fouls given up on shot fakes.
Murphy has to be in beast mode to force Michigan to have two post players in the game. I don't see us dictating our style at Crisler. I disagree with others. I don't think we match up well with Michigan. Hopefully I am wrong.

Hopefully Coffey and Murphy will cut it loose and play the way they are capable of playing, if they do there is always the chance we could pull the upset. If they are off at all we could get run out of the gym just as easily. The main thing with this team right now is that we have no idea which version of the Gophers will show up on a game by game basis. let's hope the good version of the team shows up tonight and we can give a legit final 4 contender a run for their money.

I still think this team has the potential to play with anyone. Now, if we get to the end of the season and they are still underachieving, then I'd have to admit that the potential never existed. They don't seem to handle high expectations very well, so they might be in a decent spot against a team to which most people expect them to lose.

A sobering statistic for tonight

Michigan's margin of victory in home games vs. Power 6 opponents (in date order):

Providence 19
North Carolina 17
Purdue 19
South Carolina 11
Penn State 13
Indiana 11
Northwestern 20

Average MOV = 15.7

Michigan played a slightly different style last year with an outside shooting big man. Is the current Michigan center a stretch or a post? I'd feel better if he were a post and a poor passer.

Murph can't guard the wings. Oturu may even be better suited for that then Murph.

Still hoping IW gets some run (15-20 min). He may put more pressure on Michigan mentally.

Call me crazy, but I think the Gophers will keep this close tonight. And please Pitino, remember to tell the team to over-guard Zavier Simpson on his right hand! That guy rarely drives to his left, and I see him burn teams all the time driving to the basket with his dominant hand.

I think it could be ugly like some of our other road games but hopefully a few nuggets of optimism can emerge.

It would be nice if all our below-average shooters got hot together for one night.

Michigan played a slightly different style last year with an outside shooting big man. Is the current Michigan center a stretch or a post? I'd feel better if he were a post and a poor passer.

Murph can't guard the wings. Oturu may even be better suited for that then Murph.

Still hoping IW gets some run (15-20 min). He may put more pressure on Michigan mentally.

Would it be shocking if IW starts tonight? Try to build on his past success at Crisler, maybe Michigan is a good matchup for him. If he could play even with Simpson would certainly be extremely helpful.

Does Stull use a radio to play defense?

I was just messing around. Not sure what the radio joke/comment means but I'm not very bright.

IW needs to play well for us to win.

I think we could win tonight. Undefeated teams often lose a couple in a row inexplicably doubting themselves. Latest example: Gopher women. But, like most everyone, unfortunately I agree we could get blitzed.
If I bet, I'd take the points and bet on the Gophers to win....hopefully we don't need the points and shock folks.

I think we could win tonight. Undefeated teams often lose a couple in a row inexplicably doubting themselves. Latest example: Gopher women. But, like most everyone, unfortunately I agree we could get blitzed.
If I bet, I'd take the points and bet on the Gophers to win....hopefully we don't need the points and shock folks.

The difference between the Gopher women and Michigan men are they are really good and the Gopher women aren't.

Teske is a stretch 5. he has 3s in his last couple of games

Top Bottom