Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How about when OT starts, just play the 15 minutes all the way out. If it is still tied after the first 15, go until someone scores.

Quote Originally Posted by GFBfan View Post
    Once again you prove your complete lack of intelligence

NFL playoff overtime is played in 15-minute periods until a winner is declared — unlike the regular season, which is a 10-minute period that ends in a tie if a winner isn't declared. If the score is still tied (or if a team is continuing the second possession), there would be an additional overtime period.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...vertime-rules/
    Now I get it. I apologize. Egg on my face. I'll get the spatula. You got me!!

The link I was reading before making the OP was discussing the 10min overtime period.

How about when OT starts, just play the 15 minutes all the way out. If it is still tied after the first 15, go until someone scores.
    The NFL put the 10min overtime for regular season specifically to not make the game go longer than it necessary. IE, for the sake of reducing injuries. The same reason the players union won't allow an 18 game regular season. And so on.

So that is a factor.

Still think it's as simple as: give each team one possession, sudden death after that (including FG).

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    The NFL put the 10min overtime for regular season specifically to not make the game go longer than it necessary. IE, for the sake of reducing injuries. The same reason the players union won't allow an 18 game regular season. And so on.

So that is a factor.

Still think it's as simple as: give each team one possession, sudden death after that (including FG).
    It's hard to argue with anything you said. My thing is, how do you avoid overemphasizing the coin flip. The old rules overemphasized it in spades. The new rule backs that off a bit but still allows one offense to be denied the ball.

Blog Entries

I could be down with implementing the college OT rule, if they put the ball at the 50 yard line instead of the 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    It's hard to argue with anything you said. My thing is, how do you avoid overemphasizing the coin flip. The old rules overemphasized it in spades. The new rule backs that off a bit but still allows one offense to be denied the ball.
    At some point, a large enough majority of people agree that winning the coin flip is no longer a "significant factor". For example, surely almost no one thinks that winning the opening flip at the start of the regulation game matters to the outcome. I'm sure statistics would show virtually zero correlation.

For our current OT, I would guess there is definitely a correlation between winning the coin flip and winning the OT.

What level of correlation will people accept? Guaranteeing 1 possession each? Guaranteeing two possessions each? Three?

One possession each does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I could be down with implementing the college OT rule, if they put the ball at the 50 yard line instead of the 25.
    Feel free to flame me, but I do not like college OT. It trivializes the game.

All the hard work, strategy, planning, effort ... to accomplish what happened in 60mins of football ........... reduced to a clown show at the end. A free throw contest. A hockey shootout.

Football should be better than that. My $0.02

Blog Entries

All the hard work, strategy, planning, effort ... to accomplish what happened in 60mins of football ........... reduced to a clown show at the end. A free throw contest. A hockey shootout.

At a certain point there's not much difference.

This is how I would do it as well for at least the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    This is how I would do it as well for at least the playoffs.
    Granted I'd rather have that than the OT rules we have now, and I prefer those to the insta-sudden death rules before that.

But if given a choice, I would definitely vote down forcing the players to play out an entire extra 15min period, if that length isn't necessary. They already played 60mins. OT should be as small of an extension as necessary to prove out a winner.

Don’t feel the college OT rules are a clown show. They still play 11 on 11. It also limits the amount of plays/time involved for the players.
    I’d like to see them either move ball back to 30 or up to 20 to start but other than that the college rules are good for college.
    For NFL, the reg season is good the way it is and the playoff rules are ok. If they want to make a change then I’d go to what I suggested earlier. Play an entire quarter. Then sudden victory after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granted I'd rather have that than the OT rules we have now, and I prefer those to the insta-sudden death rules before that.

But if given a choice, I would definitely vote down forcing the players to play out an entire extra 15min period, if that length isn't necessary. They already played 60mins. OT should be as small of an extension as necessary to prove out a winner.
    10 minutes would be ok too. That would pretty much guarantee both teams get the ball.

Since the OT rule change, the team that wins the OT coin flip is 7-1 in playoff games.

The way they do it in the NFL right now is equivalent to in baseball flipping a coin after 9 innings if the game is tied and if the first team to bat scores a run, the game is over. A coin flip shouldn't have that much influence in a game.

This nails it. Let the teams decide the game not a coin flip. I'd prefer they go to the college rules personally but they could just do a 10-15 minute over time in the play offs. A coin flip shouldn't decide the game. The NFL should be embarrassed this year how those last 2 games went.
    Who hates iowa?

10 minutes would be ok too. That would pretty much guarantee both teams get the ball.

Since the OT rule change, the team that wins the OT coin flip is 7-1 in playoff games.
    At the end of the day, your last sentence is the nail in the coffin.

That level of correlation is an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    This nails it. Let the teams decide the game not a coin flip. I'd prefer they go to the college rules personally but they could just do a 10-15 minute over time in the play offs. A coin flip shouldn't decide the game. The NFL should be embarrassed this year how those last 2 games went.
    They're not changing Overtime. Period. It's the best system they can hope for right now. Nobody wants to see a replay of LSU-Texas A&M; end of regulation 24-24 I think, final was 74-72. Player safety is of the utmost importance in the NFL. It serves nobody to play an additional 15-30 minutes football.

It was a much more disproportional advantage when a simple FG could win the game. The change to what it is now is the best they can hope for. I think most people would be surprised just how few possessions involve a team taking either the opening KO of the game or of the 2nd half and marching down the field for a TD.

I also think at least SOME of this is a little Patriots/Brady hating; if it were Mahomes and the Chiefs that had won the toss and went down and scored, I would suspect that a lot less people would be outraged.

It's not changing; if anything, the outcome in overtime between the two games Sunday proved just how effective the system is. One team scored drove the length of the field and scored (Patriots), the other team winning the toss turned it over (Saints).

The Chiefs had the Patriots in 3rd and 10 or longer THREE different times and couldn't close the deal. That's on them, sorry.
    - Respect is the ultimate currency