Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NFL rule changes for the 2019-2020 season

Two obvious ones from the championship games:

- Coaches need to be able to challenge no calls on P-I (maybe other penalties), and perhaps also challenge a positive call of P-I. Not exactly how it should best be proposed. But the clear as day P-I in the Rams Saints game, something has to be done about that.

- How friggin' hard is it to give each team *one* possession in overtime??? If the score is still tied after each team has one possession, then you revert to sudden death. Expand the OT to 15mins. Not. Friggin'. Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Two obvious ones from the championship games:

- Coaches need to be able to challenge no calls on P-I (maybe other penalties), and perhaps also challenge a positive call of P-I. Not exactly how it should best be proposed. But the clear as day P-I in the Rams Saints game, something has to be done about that.

- How friggin' hard is it to give each team *one* possession in overtime??? If the score is still tied after each team has one possession, then you revert to sudden death. Expand the OT to 15mins. Not. Friggin'. Hard.
    Dumb. Overreaction. And by the way, Einstein, OT in the postseason is already 15 minutes. Another top notch post!

Quote Originally Posted by Plausible Deniability View Post
    Overreaction
    No one who watched the games agrees. You didn't watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Plausible Deniability View Post
    OT in the postseason is already 15 minutes.
    More proof you didn't watch the games.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-to-10-minutes

Shorter overtimes are among the changes that will be coming to NFL games in 2017.

NFL team owners approved shortening overtime in the preseason and regular season from 15 to 10 minutes at the Spring League Meeting in Chicago on Tuesday. The approval comes after the proposal was initially presented to owners during the Annual League Meeting in March.

Hey PD, do you want me to grab a spatula? That way you can get that egg off your face!

spatula city!

Blog Entries

Give coaches 4 challenges. Let them challenge any play they want. Let them know that to get a penalty called/overturned it has to be clear beyond a doubt, so don't waste a challenge on a holding call etc. No booth reviews except scoring plays. If you used all your challenges and it's in the last two minutes, tough.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Give coaches 4 challenges. Let them challenge any play they want. Let them know that to get a penalty called/overturned it has to be clear beyond a doubt, so don't waste a challenge on a holding call etc. No booth reviews except scoring plays. If you used all your challenges and it's in the last two minutes, tough.
    Here would be an interesting question: if a coach wants to challenge a no-call, like in the case of the blatantly obvious PI no-call for the Rams ... should the challenging coach get to dictate that the review can only focus on one specific aspect of the previous play? Or is the entire play then opened up for review, like say if the refs noticed they also missed a holding, or some other call during that play?

It gets back to the old slippery slope. If you keep expanding replay, where do you stop? Do you want games running over 4 hours?

As long as the game is officiated by humans, there will be mistakes. really big people running really fast and running into each other really hard. if you wanted to, you could probably find an uncalled penalty on every play. I saw a replay that seemed to show a facemask against a Rams player that was not called.

I for one don't want any more replay. And in college Hoops, I am so sick of refs going to the scorers' table to watch replays 4 or 5 times a game. forgetaboutit.

Blog Entries

Here would be an interesting question: if a coach wants to challenge a no-call, like in the case of the blatantly obvious PI no-call for the Rams ... should the challenging coach get to dictate that the review can only focus on one specific aspect of the previous play? Or is the entire play then opened up for review, like say if the refs noticed they also missed a holding, or some other call during that play?
    No. You have to indicate what you are challenging. I suppose both coaches could challenge the same play though, leading to offsetting penalties.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    It gets back to the old slippery slope. If you keep expanding replay, where do you stop? Do you want games running over 4 hours?

As long as the game is officiated by humans, there will be mistakes. really big people running really fast and running into each other really hard. if you wanted to, you could probably find an uncalled penalty on every play. I saw a replay that seemed to show a facemask against a Rams player that was not called.

I for one don't want any more replay. And in college Hoops, I am so sick of refs going to the scorers' table to watch replays 4 or 5 times a game. forgetaboutit.
    That's why you say 4 per team. Period. Teams will always save at least one for the last two minutes, so the # used during the first 58 will be limited. No booth review except for scoring plays (or maybe not even then.)

Capture1.JPG

Overall, the NFL replay rules are not terrible. I'm down for whatever keeps reviews to a minimum. Yes, I'm willing to accept referee mistakes (like the no-call pass interference). I wouldn't mind giving each coach 1 challenge, and they keep getting additional challenges until they're wrong. No challenging penalties.

No one who watched the games agrees. You didn't watch.

More proof you didn't watch the games.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-to-10-minutes
    Once again you prove your complete lack of intelligence

NFL playoff overtime is played in 15-minute periods until a winner is declared — unlike the regular season, which is a 10-minute period that ends in a tie if a winner isn't declared. If the score is still tied (or if a team is continuing the second possession), there would be an additional overtime period.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...vertime-rules/

Unpopular take:

I still prefer the NFL OT rule to college. While it may seem unfair that KC never had chance, they actually did have a chance. All they had to do was prevent NE from scoring a TD. If that is too biased because today's offenses are too good, then make it tougher for the offenses.

What I find humorous is how that over the years the NFL has punished kickers for getting too good. They have moved the kickoff line back, made them use a different ball for kickoffs, and moved the XP distance back.

But no such changes are being made because today's offenses are getting too good. Since "you could call holding on almost every play", how about do it? Call more offensive PI on pick plays. Make it so that it's a penalty if ANY PART of the QB's body is across the line of scrimmage when he throws. Reign in intentional grounding leniency now that there are strict rules in place for how you can hit a QB. Regulate what types of sticky gloves receivers can wear.

There are so many things you could tweak to help reign offenses, but I guess in the interest of entertainment value that will never happen, and they'll make rule changes to enable the offenses even more.

Why wasn't there this much uproar when Ben Leber was called for PI even thought he didn't even touch the TE in OT of the 2009 NFC championship? That call put them in FG range and gave them the win.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher7 View Post
    Unpopular take:

I still prefer the NFL OT rule to college. While it may seem unfair that KC never had chance, they actually did have a chance. All they had to do was prevent NE from scoring a TD. If that is too biased because today's offenses are too good, then make it tougher for the offenses.
    The way they do it in the NFL right now is equivalent to in baseball flipping a coin after 9 innings if the game is tied and if the first team to bat scores a run, the game is over. A coin flip shouldn't have that much influence in a game.

What I find humorous is how that over the years the NFL has punished kickers for getting too good. They have moved the kickoff line back, made them use a different ball for kickoffs, and moved the XP distance back.
    I hate the new extra point rule. Kickers are already so important even though they rarely step on the field more than a dozen or so times a game.