Pitino....question

If we miss NCAAs but recruit Hurt, does Pitino stay or go?

• Pitino Stays

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Pitino goes

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not going to split hairs over what one considers to dominate. There are only 6 major bball conferences, if you want to include the pac-12 who has zero top 25 teams! Asking any player in any category to win their conference is no given. These players put up numbers, but if they go to crappy teams theres no saying what may happen, alas Ben Simmons.

Many of the top players in the last 5 years have gone to Duke and Kentucky. Getting one of these players, more often then not, gives your team an opportunity to compete with the best teams, whether you win your conference or not. I'll take Hurt, I'll take his 15ppg, 8 reb per game, even if he is one and done, even if we wouldn't win the Big Ten.

2017:
Bagley, Duke all american.
Michael porter, injured
Ayton, pac 12 player of the year
Bamba big 12 second team
W. Carter, 2nd team acc
Duval
Sexton, 2nd team sec
Gary Trent,
Jaren Jackson, 3rd team big ten
Kevin Knox. 1st team sec.

Of the 9 who weren't injured, only 2 didn't make and all conference team according to wiki. 2 were all americans.

Said i would take him too but to me dominate means to control or to take control of the conference and few do that.

It’s dominant, not dominate. Dominate is a verb. Murphy can dominate a game. To describe him, one would say Murphy is a dominant player. I can’t believe how often I see this mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s dominant, not dominate. Dominate is a verb. Murphy can dominate a game. To describe him, one would say Murphy is a dominant player. I can’t believe how often I see this mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I would not say he dominates the conference.

I get really tired of hearing for three plus years about these prospects like Hurt, Tyus Trent Jr, only to see them go elsewhere.

My original point was that if they are only going to play one year, and their talent is so universally accepted as NBA ready, why not take a chance to be a hero and play for the local team and see what happens. I doubt that a few months with Coach K or at UNLV changed much of anything in their game so why not be a star in your own back yard,.

Sure I'd be happy to see a Hurt type done and done show us what he can do for one year but if not, it is not the end of the world.

I'd rather have a bunch of top recruits, just one slight rung below that are a little more humble and might stick around for 2 or 3 years. I think Pitino is getting traction with these types of players.

Hurt doesn't dominate the Big 9 conference, how is he going to dominate the Big 10 conference, add him to the other pieces the Gophers have and they would be decent and might contend for a Big Ten title, add Tre to the current team and where would they be.

Hurt doesn't dominate the Big 9 conference, how is he going to dominate the Big 10 conference, add him to the other pieces the Gophers have and they would be decent and might contend for a Big Ten title, add Tre to the current team and where would they be.

Not many people walk into division 1 basketball and have their way with things. Matthew Hurt will be a very solid addition to whichever school he picks! Nice use of the word dominate BTW!

"Potato Potatoe" Hurt is putting up 39 ppg, and 11 reb, 4 ass, 2.5 stls, and 2blks per game, including 31 of 66 from deep (47%). If the rest of his team and maybe his coach isn't the best I wont put that on the player. Power forwards don't necessarily make their teammates better the way a great guard can.

In the 4A division I think the second leading scorer is Dawson Garcia is at 28 ppg.

"Potato Potatoe" Hurt is putting up 39 ppg, and 11 reb, 4 ass, 2.5 stls, and 2blks per game, including 31 of 66 from deep (47%). If the rest of his team and maybe his coach isn't the best I wont put that on the player. Power forwards don't necessarily make their teammates better the way a great guard can.

In the 4A division I think the second leading scorer is Dawson Garcia is at 28 ppg.

Really like both players but wait until they go against a D1 player two years older and a coach who knows what to take away.

I should have stated it differently, one player does not transform a team, Humphries made the Gophers worse in his one year, I don't think the cupboard is empty though and he would make the team noticeably better for one year.

If you don't think Matthew Hurt dominates the Big 9, you haven't seen him play. The Big 9 has not been a bad conference the last few years. Red Wing was excellent in Hurt's freshmen year, and probably should have won the AAA title. Austin has been very good the last two years. Last year Owatonna, Mankato East and Austin were all pretty good. This year, Mankato East is very good, Austin is a little down from the last two years but still a very good team, and even Mayo and Northfield aren't too bad. Honestly, I expect JM and Lakeville North to play in the section final again this year.

https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/status/1088997195175600128

I've watched Hurt play about 10-12 times and also saw Tyus play about the same number of times while he was in high school. My nephew played in the old Lake Conference when Chaska and Eden Prairie were in it, and I went to just about every one of his games from 9th to 12th grade (some of those games he was playing in the JV game, but we always stayed for the varsity game). I saw a lot of really good high school basketball players....Tyus, Schulk, Jake White, Joey King, Alex Richter and even a little of Cole Aldrich (that was just one game his senior year against LS) play in high school. More recently I've seen some of Nate Reuvers and Tyler Wahl. I've never seen anybody dominate a high school basketball game the way Matthew Hurt does and can. Well I take that back....JP Macura's senior run at the state tournament was pretty special. But he has at least 3 guys hanging on him all the time while he is inside, and he still goes for over 30 just about every night with a dozen rebounds.

Some people on here say Hurt must not be very good if he can't get his team to the state tournament. I think Tyus Jones only got his team to the state tournament one time, and he is arguably the best high school basketball player in Minnesota state history. In Jones's 9th grade year they got beat by Lakeville South, his 10th grade year I'm pretty sure they got beat by Eastview, and almost positive his senior year they got beat by CDH...all those games were section finals. And Jones was playing with other D1 players in each of those seasons. I'm not ripping on Tyus, he might have been able to start for the Gophers when he was 13 or 14 years old. But basketball is a team game, and his team hasn't been as good as Lakeville North the last 4 years.

One last thing, if you haven't seen Hurt play in person, it's worth the drive to go down and watch him play. I have sat 2 rows behind the visitors bench at Target Center, and have been able to sit in those seats while watching Shaq, Kobe, Allen Iverson, Barkley and Dirk. Those seats are over several hundreds of dollars apiece. If I had the chance of watching a Wolves game sitting in those seats or going to and watching Matthew Hurt play, my choice would be driving down to John Marshall all day long...and I'm a big Wolves fan. I don't think Hurt will be a one and done. I don't know if he will dominate his college conference or not. But he will be a very good college basketball player wherever he goes to play.

Last edited:

I live in Rochester and have seem Matthew play once. Would be much more interested in watching him if I thought there was any chance he would end up playing for the gophers. Probably kind of sad that let my gopher loyalty be so important. Maybe will go watch if they play bucky west in the finals again.

Top Bottom