Pitino....question

If we miss NCAAs but recruit Hurt, does Pitino stay or go?

• Pitino Stays

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Pitino goes

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
curious... those that voted no.... was it because they think Hurt is not coming here or the team will do that bad this year?

How much PT will he get here next year? Didnt play at all last game. Pitino could very well have a grad transfer or two in next recruiting class who will contribute as well as he will probably be more motivated for sake of the future to play incoming freshmen over Michael.
He has a full-ride scholarship to possibly start grad school. It's an academic no brainer to stay here and get for free what would cost thousands elsewhere.

He has a full-ride scholarship to possibly start grad school. It's an academic no brainer to stay here and get for free what would cost thousands elsewhere.

Perhaps you will turn out to be correct. I think the family connections that are setting up at Kansas and how things are setting up for Michael with the gophers will be telling.

I read the title too fast and answered incorrectly.

We aren't getting hurt no matter what imo.

I think Pitino is here next year even if we miss the NCAA's & Hurt goes elsewhere. Right or wrong, agree or disagree I just think that is what will happen.

CJ Henry would disagree.

CJ Henry was Xavier Henry's older brother. He:

1) Was not nearly as good as Xavier
2) Had been at a different school
3) Announced he would transfer to KU at the same time Xavier Henry (top 10 recruit) committed
4) Only played there the year that Xavier did

In other words, Bill Self gave up a scholarship for CJ Henry in almost the exact same situation as he'd be giving one up for Michael Hurt. The only difference is that Hurt would just exhaust his eligibility, whereas CJ transferred to Southern Nazarene when Xavier went pro.

Both Hurts will be playing together next year and it won't be at Minnesota.

We will not be hurt at all as this Hurt is overrated just like his older brother.

Come on....are you saying everyone is wrong about him and you know better?

As much as we would like them to, neither of these hypotheses are going to actualize.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

If Hurt really wants to leave for the NBA after one year,, I am not sure what the downside is to being a big star for one year at MN and dominating the Big Ten. I am not sure what doing that elsewhere really changes.

Rashad Vaughn and Gary Trent Jr. did not stay here and one is in the G leage and the other is ?? The bright lights did not do much for their NBA careers. I'd rather be a star in my home state with real NBA options regardless, than playing in the G league,or worse.

Is it a better legacy to be remembered for leading the U of M for a year or two, or living in a McMansion at a "prep school" in Las Vegas and never being seen again.

Coyle is a snake as we all know, so if he has one of his pocket candidates ready to go and Williams Arena is half full, I expect Pitino to be fired I think the roster looks good and I hope he gets another year. E. Musselman would change everything though.

Last edited:

curious... those that voted no.... was it because they think Hurt is not coming here or the team will do that bad this year?

The question starts with if we miss the NCAA's, so it tells you the Gophers will do bad this year in this hypothetical. There is no scenario where Pitino lands Hurt and makes the tournament in which he is let go. The premise of Pitino getting a commitment from Hurt while not at least making the NCAA's is quite unlikely. It's also unlikely that Hurt will commit to Pitino before the results of the season are known. Letters can be signed again on April 17 and the Gophers last regular season game is March 8.

It was because after year 6, if we miss the tournament (as was the premise of the question), Pitino needs to be judged by on court results. If after 6 years, the biggest positive you can point to is "hopefully my next recruiting class will win some games", that doesn't cut it.

If Hurt really wants to leave for the NBA after one year,, I am not sure what the downside is to being a big star for one year at MN and dominating the Big Ten. I am not sure what doing that elsewhere really changes.

Rashad Vaughn and Gary Trent Jr. did not stay here and one is in the G leage and the other is ?? The bright lights did not do much for their NBA careers. I'd rather be a star in my home state with real NBA options regardless, than playing in the G league,or worse.

Is it a better legacy to be remembered for leading the U of M for a year or two, or living in a McMansion at a "prep school" in Las Vegas and never being seen again.

Coyle is a snake as we all know, so if he has one of his pocket candidates ready to go and Williams Arena is half full, I expect Pitino to be fired I think the roster looks good and I hope he gets another year. E. Musselman would change everything though.

You think he dominates the Big 10 !

Check out the rankings of top 10 kids over however many years you want, they hardly ever dominate their conference. Plus, if your not a blue blood you can not replace a one and done and it leaves a really big void as you try and build cohesion, experience and depth. Do not get me wrong, i want to see him here but it does not guarantee anything.

Obviously if he gets Hurt he stays. Obviously he won't get Hurt.

Check out the rankings of top 10 kids over however many years you want, they hardly ever dominate their conference. Plus, if your not a blue blood you can not replace a one and done and it leaves a really big void as you try and build cohesion, experience and depth. Do not get me wrong, i want to see him here but it does not guarantee anything.

Yeah, Romeo Langford sucks. He's not making an impact for Indiana at all...

Kris Humphries - do we consider his 1 year dominate?

Or his marriage? I'm thinking Kim was the dominate one.

Yeah, Romeo Langford sucks. He's not making an impact for Indiana at all...

He is not dominating the big 10. Super talent high usage stat stuffer. Really like him as a player . Perhaps dominating the conference means different things to different people. For me it better translate to wins in the conference.

He is not dominating the big 10. Super talent high usage stat stuffer. Really like him as a player . Perhaps dominating the conference means different things to different people. For me it better translate to wins in the conference.
In his defense... he doesn't have much help in Hoosier land.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In his defense... he doesn't have much help in Hoosier land.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The discussion about Hurt coming here and dominating the Big 10. Check out the last 5 years of the top 10 freshman and about 8 % come in and play well enough to win their conference or even coming close to dominating.

ESPN's top 10 recruits for ease of access:
1. RJ Barrett
2 Zion Williamson
3 Cam Reddish
4 Bol bol, 21 pg, 10 reb, 3 blks would have been 1st team all conf.
5 Romeo Langford 18 ppg, 5 rpg.
6 Nassir Little 10ppg, 4 reb
7 Keldon Johnson; leading scorer for kent 15 ppg, 5 reb, all conf
8 Quentin Grimes, not dominating.
9 Anfernee Simons-went to G league
10 Jalen Smith, 12 ppg, 7 reb.

Bol bol is out for the year but was putting up dominant stats. All 3 Duke players should make all conference. Lanford at Indiana and Keldon at Kentucky as well.

Of the 9 who are in college on this list, 5 all conference I am guessing, would have been 6 if Bol finished the year. Little and Grimes slightly underwelmed. Jalen Smith is solid but not dominating.

I will take that percentage.

Want the list of top 10 guys that did not dominate their conference.

ESPN's top 10 recruits for ease of access:
1. RJ Barrett
2 Zion Williamson
3 Cam Reddish
4 Bol bol, 21 pg, 10 reb, 3 blks would have been 1st team all conf.
5 Romeo Langford 18 ppg, 5 rpg.
6 Nassir Little 10ppg, 4 reb
7 Keldon Johnson; leading scorer for kent 15 ppg, 5 reb, all conf
8 Quentin Grimes, not dominating.
9 Anfernee Simons-went to G league
10 Jalen Smith, 12 ppg, 7 reb.

Bol bol is out for the year but was putting up dominant stats. All 3 Duke players should make all conference. Lanford at Indiana and Keldon at Kentucky as well.

Of the 9 who are in college on this list, 5 all conference I am guessing, would have been 6 if Bol finished the year. Little and Grimes slightly underwelmed. Jalen Smith is solid but not dominating.

I will take that percentage.

Me Too!!!

Me Too!!!

You went one year ! You think Reddish is all conference ! I have Williamson dominating every game and Barrett often and thats it. Langford is on a team that has lost 5 straight, that is dominating. Of course we may have different ways of defining dominate a conference. To me Simmons did not dominate the SEC, LSU was terrible. Go back as many years as you want to find top 10 players who led to conference titles and it will be less than 10 %. I love Hurts's game and he may come here but will not be dominating the conference by my standards. 2017 HAD ONE TOP 10 kid dominate, AYTON. 2016 has Tatum and may be Fox, and 2015 had zero !

You went one year ! You think Reddish is all conference ! I have Williamson dominating every game and Barrett often and thats it. Langford is on a team that has lost 5 straight, that is dominating. Of course we may have different ways of defining dominate a conference. To me Simmons did not dominate the SEC, LSU was terrible. Go back as many years as you want to find top 10 players who led to conference titles and it will be less than 10 %. I love Hurts's game and he may come here but will not be dominating the conference by my standards. 2017 HAD ONE TOP 10 kid dominate, AYTON. 2016 has Tatum and may be Fox, and 2015 had zero !

Provide the detail of your definition of "dominate".

People can not agree on dominate but to me dominate the conference would be so effective as lead his team to a conference title or no worse than 2nd. What is your definition of dominate the conference ? Iam not saying my definition is right and someone else is wrong and i am sure i have a bias as i grew up on the UCLA CAMPUS and saw what dominate looked like for Lew Alcindor. It just rarely happens.

To me dominate is best player on the floor every game who is a gamechanger. People have been talking Langford! Clearly, lately he has not been that guy! Will he be one and done? Yes! Has he been so good that indiana is walking through the big ten? No!

I'm not going to split hairs over what one considers to dominate. There are only 6 major bball conferences, if you want to include the pac-12 who has zero top 25 teams! Asking any player in any category to win their conference is no given. These players put up numbers, but if they go to crappy teams theres no saying what may happen, alas Ben Simmons.

Many of the top players in the last 5 years have gone to Duke and Kentucky. Getting one of these players, more often then not, gives your team an opportunity to compete with the best teams, whether you win your conference or not. I'll take Hurt, I'll take his 15ppg, 8 reb per game, even if he is one and done, even if we wouldn't win the Big Ten.

2017:
Bagley, Duke all american.
Michael porter, injured
Ayton, pac 12 player of the year
Bamba big 12 second team
W. Carter, 2nd team acc
Duval
Sexton, 2nd team sec
Gary Trent,
Jaren Jackson, 3rd team big ten
Kevin Knox. 1st team sec.

Of the 9 who weren't injured, only 2 didn't make and all conference team according to wiki. 2 were all americans.

Top Bottom