Fleck is planning on hiring Oregon's Rod Chance to be DB coach

So you're saying there's a chance....

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

What does an "analyst" do, if they're not allowed to recruit and not allowed to coach? I guess they just watch a lot of film, and keep a database of stats and tendencies for the opposing teams?

Obviously the guy has coached before, though, not questioning that.

What does an "analyst" do, if they're not allowed to recruit and not allowed to coach? I guess they just watch a lot of film, and keep a database of stats and tendencies for the opposing teams?

To me, I consider it kind of like a gray shirt or a redshirt but for coaches. Seems like most guys only have that title for one year and then become a full time position coach after that. A head coach might hire an analyst and tell him that I already have the maximum number of assistants on my staff but one of our guys is likely leaving us after this year and we plan on promoting you once that happens.

Ed Wariner was an analyst for Michigan for one year and now is their O-line coach.

From the Southern Utah website

https://suutbirds.com/staff.aspx?staff=166

Rod Chance joined the Thunderbird football staff after Demario Warren was named Head Coach, and was named Defensive Coordinator prior to the start of the 2016 campaign.

In 2017, Chance’s defense was critical to SUU’s success on the road to becoming Big Sky Conference Champions.

Under the guidance of Chance, three T-Birds from the defensive side of the ball were named First Team All-Conference (Anu Pole’o, Mike Needham and Jarmaine Doubs Jr.) and eight others were named to the various other All-Conference teams. Freshman DB Jalen Russell was also named Freshman All-American by Phil Steele.

Chance’s defense had 15 interceptions, forced eight fumbles and totaled 21 sacks along with 77 tackles for loss during the course of the year in 2017.

Chance spent four seasons with Vanderbilt before making his way to Southern Utah. He has served as a defensive quality control during his Commodore tenure.

During Chance's tenure, the Commodores experienced appearances in two postseason bowl games.

Prior to joining the Commodores, Chance spent several months as cornerbacks coach at the University of Rhode Island.

Chance also coached four seasons at Alpharetta High School north of Atlanta. He was Alpharetta's special teams coordinator, and also coached the defensive backs and wide receivers.

Chance served as the program's academic advisor and recruiting liaison. Following the 2012 season, 12 players from Alpharetta signed national letters of intent with Division I programs, with players going to Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Virginia, Vanderbilt and Texas Christian, among others.

Chance was a four-year starter for the Rhode Island Rams from 2002-05. He finished his career with more than 100 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Last edited:

There’s a chance he could be pretty good...

From the Southern Illinois website

https://suutbirds.com/staff.aspx?staff=166

Rod Chance joined the Thunderbird football staff after Demario Warren was named Head Coach, and was named Defensive Coordinator prior to the start of the 2016 campaign.

In 2017, Chance’s defense was critical to SUU’s success on the road to becoming Big Sky Conference Champions.

Under the guidance of Chance, three T-Birds from the defensive side of the ball were named First Team All-Conference (Anu Pole’o, Mike Needham and Jarmaine Doubs Jr.) and eight others were named to the various other All-Conference teams. Freshman DB Jalen Russell was also named Freshman All-American by Phil Steele.

Chance’s defense had 15 interceptions, forced eight fumbles and totaled 21 sacks along with 77 tackles for loss during the course of the year in 2017.

Chance spent four seasons with Vanderbilt before making his way to Southern Utah. He has served as a defensive quality control during his Commodore tenure.

During Chance's tenure, the Commodores experienced appearances in two postseason bowl games.

Prior to joining the Commodores, Chance spent several months as cornerbacks coach at the University of Rhode Island.

Chance also coached four seasons at Alpharetta High School north of Atlanta. He was Alpharetta's special teams coordinator, and also coached the defensive backs and wide receivers.

Chance served as the program's academic advisor and recruiting liaison. Following the 2012 season, 12 players from Alpharetta signed national letters of intent with Division I programs, with players going to Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Virginia, Vanderbilt and Texas Christian, among others.

Chance was a four-year starter for the Rhode Island Rams from 2002-05. He finished his career with more than 100 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Has anyone fact checked this yet?

Interesting. Sounds like Chance might coach CB's and Harasymiak might coach safeties. Similar to what they did with the D-line with West and Rossi.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/20/gophers-hire-rod-chance-as-new-defensive-assistant-coach/

The Gophers football program will hire Rod Chance to be defensive assistant coach, two sources confirmed to the Pioneer Press on Sunday.

Chance has been a defensive analyst at Oregon and his specific role at the U has yet to be determined, the sources said.

The Athletic first reported the move and said Chance would be the new Minnesota cornerbacks coach.

Chance would then help replace previous secondary coach Jahmile Addae, who went to West Virginia in a lateral move to his alma mater last week.

This addition of Chance’s could portent Joe Harasymiak to be the U’s new safeties coach. After being head coach at Maine, Haraskymiak was hired in December. He doesn’t have an official role yet and has a background in the secondary.

Official titles could come from the U soon.

This story will be updated.

To me, I consider it kind of like a gray shirt or a redshirt but for coaches. Seems like most guys only have that title for one year and then become a full time position coach after that. A head coach might hire an analyst and tell him that I already have the maximum number of assistants on my staff but one of our guys is likely leaving us after this year and we plan on promoting you once that happens.

Ed Wariner was an analyst for Michigan for one year and now is their O-line coach.

Or, in Saban’s case, hire 29 “Shadow Staffers” / Analysts.

I like the metro Atlanta/north Georgia connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Sounds like Chance might coach CB's and Harasymiak might coach safeties. Similar to what they did with the D-line with West and Rossi.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/20/gophers-hire-rod-chance-as-new-defensive-assistant-coach/

The Gophers football program will hire Rod Chance to be defensive assistant coach, two sources confirmed to the Pioneer Press on Sunday.

Chance has been a defensive analyst at Oregon and his specific role at the U has yet to be determined, the sources said.

The Athletic first reported the move and said Chance would be the new Minnesota cornerbacks coach.

Chance would then help replace previous secondary coach Jahmile Addae, who went to West Virginia in a lateral move to his alma mater last week.

This addition of Chance’s could portent Joe Harasymiak to be the U’s new safeties coach. After being head coach at Maine, Haraskymiak was hired in December. He doesn’t have an official role yet and has a background in the secondary.

Official titles could come from the U soon.

This story will be updated.

Harasymiak has coached both DBs and LBs. Since Rossi is apparently taking on double duty as LB coach, it would make more sense for him to wind up there than to split the secondary between two coaches.

Last edited:

Would have been hired by and worked for Leavitt at Oregon? Leavitt one of best def coaches in NCAA.

Would have worked at Vandy with Mason? Mason another good defensive coach.

Would have recruited California hard for Southern Utah...maybe get another Cedric Thompson or Brock Vereen to Minnesota?

Harasymiak has coached both DBs and LBs. Since Rossi is apparently taking on double duty as LB coach, it would make more sense for him to wind up there than to split the secondary between two coaches.

I agree.

Attended St Thomas Aquinas in Florida, just ahead of ST coach Wenger.

Should have recruiting contacts in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, New England, Cali.

They read the fan forums and look for good ideas.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom