Enjoy the season

Some guy

Reaction score
I understand the purpose of the message board is to banter and debate.

I too have reached the point of frustration with the team.

Rather than everyone either attacking or defending the coach, I propose we all discuss the games. There will be plenty of time to evaluate the program at the end of the season.

If the team finishes 13-7, there will be hardly anyone wanting to fire the coach.
If the team finishes 7-13, there will be hardly anyone wanting to keep the coach.

I am going to enjoy watching Murphy the last season and then let the AD make the obvious decision after we see how this year turns out.

If the team were having an all time great season, would you be saying the same thing: that we not talk about Pitino and the great job he was doing until after the season?

If the team were having an all time great season, would you be saying the same thing: that we not talk about Pitino and the great job he was doing until after the season?

Well done! I doubt you will get an answer to this question.

There are many things to be concerned about, certainly, and they are discussed here, as they should be. But if I didn’t know anything about the Gophers, as an outsider I’d be thinking, “Minnesota is 14-4, 4-3 with wins over 3 (likely) NCAA tourney teams (vs. Washington, Nebraska, @ Wisconsin), and a decent chunk of their fans are in meltdown mode?”

However it looks, the Gophers need wins. They got one last night. They probably need 7 more to feel secure about their NCAA chances. For me it still boils down to this.

Win your home games until you figure out a way to grind out a couple wins on the road. Protect the home court. We did that last night (barely). That’s what matters.

We beat an 0-8 B1G team (7-12 total) by 1 point at home..................right after getting totally run out by a 4-12 team.

I'm going to discuss Pitino all I want. The reason I'm going to discuss this is because he's not getting it done.

It's like we need safe spaces.

One other reason I'm going to continue to post on this is where else can you get entertainment like this. If you rip Pitino, some on this board accuse you of cheering against the gophers. It's great entertainment what some can come up with.

Last edited:

There are many things to be concerned about, certainly, and they are discussed here, as they should be. But if I didn’t know anything about the Gophers, as an outsider I’d be thinking, “Minnesota is 14-4, 4-3 with wins over 3 (likely) NCAA tourney teams (vs. Washington, Nebraska, @ Wisconsin), and a decent chunk of their fans are in meltdown mode?”

However it looks, the Gophers need wins. They got one last night. They probably need 7 more to feel secure about their NCAA chances. For me it still boils down to this.

Win your home games until you figure out a way to grind out a couple wins on the road. Protect the home court. We did that last night (barely). That’s what matters.

Very cogent thoughts. Although, it seems like most are saying 6 more wins will be enuf. However, even Pitino well-wishers like myself must face that we were quite fortunate to win the Washington and Penn St. games. Losses in these two games wouldve been very damaging, of course. We have seen the middlish big ten teams, not just us, demonstrate inconsistency in league so hopefully we pick up some good wins going forward.

The differences between the people who post here and outsiders are 1) we know how the schedule is arranged for the Big Ten season, 2) we know that performing at .500 during this part of the schedule doesn't portend to a rosy future, and 3) we've witnessed every (or almost every) excruciating game during the previous Big Ten season meltdowns under this coach.

Nah, everyone would be speculating who the next coach will be since Pitino will get poached by a blue blood.

The differences between the people who post here and outsiders are 1) we know how the schedule is arranged for the Big Ten season, 2) we know that performing at .500 during this part of the schedule doesn't portend to a rosy future, and 3) we've witnessed every (or almost every) excruciating game during the previous Big Ten season meltdowns under this coach.

True, we have had meltdowns under this coach. We’ve also had the exact opposite of a meltdown, see two seasons ago. The tide of a season can change (for better or worse), sometimes multiple times. I’m just not ready to assume Gophers will play like �� �� the rest of the season. All of these games vs. similar opponents people are assuming we’ll lose, it takes two to tango.

True, we have had meltdowns under this coach. We’ve also had the exact opposite of a meltdown, see two seasons ago.

Quite true, but that still leaves him only one-for-four over the last four seasons. I omitted his first season because that team was an average up-and-down Big Ten team with no sustained winning or losing streaks in conference. I believe he owes us at least one more good season over the six year period and I'm going to remain skeptical until enough games are behind us to make an inference that we're likely to have one.

Enjoy the day fellas. It is the Big 10 season and we are on a winning streak.

We beat an 0-8 B1G team (7-12 total) by 1 point at home..................right after getting totally run out by a 4-12 team.

I'm going to discuss Pitino all I want. The reason I'm going to discuss this is because he's not getting it done.

One other reason I'm going to continue to post on this is where else can you get entertainment like this. If you rip Pitino, some on this board accuse you of cheering against the gophers. It's great entertainment what some can come up with.

We also beat a team (on the road) that just knocked off the #2 team in the country--a team that had not lost a regular season game in about a year. Thats amateur sports. Things don't always go according to plan.

Gophers have many warts but I'll do what I can to support the coach and players. It might just make a difference.

If we were having an all time great season there would be no one discussing it. And thus no discussion to delay.

Yeah, but you’re an idiot and everyone here knows it...

All everyone whining and defending does is crowd up good basketball discussion.
I agree with you.
This season could still go multiple directions. I know which way I think it will go. I know what that would do to Pitinos future. But games are still to be played. May as well wait and watch them be played. If you don’t enjoy the games, what are you watching for.

I’ll wait and see like you.

there will always be the people that look at a half a glass of beer and they will see it as half empty

Losing sucks....no matter who it is against, but for ripping a team that doesn't win by enough is crazy. everyone knows that Bball games are all about the match ups and not records against records....or at least they should.

Michigan lost to Whiskey on the road.....we beat Whiskey on the road. Records did not mean anything...not even a little bit.

support your team and it's players!! This group is a pretty good bunch of guys from what I see.

carry on

Last edited:

there will always be the people that look at a half a glass of beer and they will see it as half empty

Losing sucks....no matter who it is against, but for ripping a team that doesn't win by enough is crazy. everyone knows that Bball games are all about the match ups and not records against records....or at least they should.

Michigan lost to Whiskey on the road.....we beat Whiskey on the road. Records did not mean anything...not even a little bit.

support your team and it's players!! This group is a pretty good bunch of guys from what I see.

carry on

If its water, its half full.
If its beer, its half empty

there is the w/l record, and then there is the eye test.

a team can "look" bad, and win a close game. a team can "look" good, and lose a close game.

Honestly, I can feel better after a loss than a win, based on how the team looks. If you play well and lose, that's life. I can live with it. But playing poorly always leaves a bad taste in the mouth, whether the team wins or loses.

This team drives me nuts when they go into one of their offensive black holes, when they have 4-5 possessions where they look absolutely clueless.

if they want to go anywhere in the B1G tournament, or a post-season tournament, they have to find a way to avoid these offensive funks - or at least get out of them sooner. the Gophers are not a good enough defensive team to make up for the offensive inconsistency.

I understand the purpose of the message board is to banter and debate.

I too have reached the point of frustration with the team.

Rather than everyone either attacking or defending the coach, I propose we all discuss the games. There will be plenty of time to evaluate the program at the end of the season.

If the team finishes 13-7, there will be hardly anyone wanting to fire the coach.
If the team finishes 7-13, there will be hardly anyone wanting to keep the coach.

I am going to enjoy watching Murphy the last season and then let the AD make the obvious decision after we see how this year turns out.
I will enjoy the season like I always do. Some will accuse me of "accepting mediocrity" but I will enjoy it nonetheless and miss it when it us over.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

All everyone whining and defending does is crowd up good basketball discussion.
I agree with you.
This season could still go multiple directions. I know which way I think it will go. I know what that would do to Pitinos future. But games are still to be played. May as well wait and watch them be played. If you don’t enjoy the games, what are you watching for.

I’ll wait and see like you.

Agree there is no reason to go crazy now. This is a really frustrating team to watch because you have no clue what you are going to get on a nightly basis.

When Murphy and Coffey are on and the supporting staff shows up this team can hang with pretty much anyone......but man when they are off they are really really really off and can look just terrible. Hopefully can string together enough wins to make the tournament and see what happens.

Made this thread about a month ago.
Season is going about how I thought it’d go. Hard to be consistent without any guard play.

Pitino has a couple of weeks to redeem himself though.
I am going to predict 1-3. Maybe I’ll be wrong.

Top Bottom