Pitino really shortened the bench tonight...and I like it!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I believe Pitino only played 7 guys tonight - the 5 starters, Jelly and Curry. Hurt, Stockman, Stull, Omersa, etc. did not play. Assuming we can stay out of foul trouble, I imagine we'll see a tight 7 man rotation going forward with spot minutes for the others.

I thought Jelly and Curry gave us huge minutes off the bench. Jelly's box score doesn't show it, but he played some big minuets, and obviously Curry was huge.

Go Gophers!!

A 3-pt shooter off the bench would be nice. Stull?

A 3-pt shooter off the bench would be nice. Stull?

It would but other than Stull there certainly isn't one and Stull is too tentative. Nothing he has done says instant offense. He almost has to be forced into shooting by the shot clock or screaming teammates.

I think Matz could have helped us, but the way he has been handled his confidence is now weakened. And his teammates show zero patience with any hiccup he is a part of, so any positive results would be unfair to expect, if he does get an opportunity. Hurt is Hurt, if he didn't have a brother I doubt he'd be here. Omersa will find a role...next year.

Clearly, those are the best 7 guys.

It was good not to have to hear Sir M yell "NOOOOoooo".
I wonder if Michael gets an apology text...

At the beginning of the season I thought we would have a deep team, but we really don't.

At the beginning of the season I thought we would have a deep team, but we really don't.

This. Omersa is clearly not ready for prime time. Coach must see enough deficiencies in Stull’s game that he mostly sits. I think Stockman could give us meaningful minutes, but as long as the trio of Oturu, Murphy and Curry stay out of major foul trouble, he won’t be needed. Certainly not as deep as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matz is the only one of these three that I'd like to see play at all. With Curry returning that has cut Matz out of the mix for now.

I was hoping to see a little more of IW down the stretch, but Richard seems to be hitching his wagon to McBrayer (Coffey cannot be the one sitting).

I'd like to see some zone with Murpy, Oturu, and Curry in the game at the same time, with Amir and and anyone else that can hit a thre or get fould3. (IW)

This. Omersa is clearly not ready for prime time. Coach must see enough deficiencies in Stull’s game that he mostly sits. I think Stockman could give us meaningful minutes, but as long as the trio of Oturu, Murphy and Curry stay out of major foul trouble, he won’t be needed. Certainly not as deep as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omersa should have red-shirted and perhaps would have if Curry hadn't gotten hurt. Stull and Stockman providing basically nothing is an indictment of Pitino's recruiting and roster management.

At this point I'll take a raw Omersa over any playing time for an out of shape Stull and a proven non asset in Hurt. (he does not shoot, can he guard anyone in the Big Ten? no, so why does he ever play)

Omersa can at least guard, get some rebounds and maybe get some transition baskets if the coaches can get anything out of him after weeks of practice. (not a rip on Omersa) Hurt and Stull cannot do most of these things as Hurt either cannot make a shot or will not shoot at all and Stull appears to be ready to make an impact at low D3 and not the Big Ten... not A. Springs.

Last edited:

I also like the seven man rotation and increased minutes for IW. Pitino is coaching for his job and he can only play the guys who have a chance to help him get a win. It may be tough to stay with a short bench on the road because the gophers aren't going to get any help from the officials.

Speaking of officials, is it me or does it seem like the gophers don't even get respect at home? With the exception of the last call, which was huge, when Dupree tripped and fell into the PSU player, the U didn't get a call all night.

Omersa should have red-shirted and perhaps would have if Curry hadn't gotten hurt. Stull and Stockman providing basically nothing is an indictment of Pitino's recruiting and roster management.

That’s the rub. The end of game offense was brilliant as well. Everyone stand around and the force a desperation shot with eight seconds on the clock.

I thought Jelly and Curry gave us huge minutes off the bench. Jelly's box score doesn't show it, but he played some big minuets, and obviously Curry was huge.

Go Gophers!!

Agree 100%.

Additionally, we are seeing just the tip of the iceberg with Oturu. He’s going to be special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s the rub. The end of game offense was brilliant as well. Everyone stand around and the force a desperation shot with eight seconds on the clock.

Um ... my wife, who knows nothing about basketball, comments immediately when the other team goes into a zone about why do we waste time having all that dribbling out there. It's not just an "end of game" offense.

That's exactly it. If you're forced to play only 7 to beat one of the league's worst teams at home, you haven't recruited a good enough roster of players.

At this point I'll take a raw Omersa over any playing time for an out of shape Stull and a proven non asset in Hurt. (he does not shoot, can he guard anyone in the Big Ten? no, so why does he ever play)

Really? Omersa has been a disaster out there while Stull has helped win a big game for us. I'll take the guy who can at least hit a shot.

Matz is the only one of these three that I'd like to see play at all. With Curry returning that has cut Matz out of the mix for now.

I was hoping to see a little more of IW down the stretch, but Richard seems to be hitching his wagon to McBrayer (Coffey cannot be the one sitting).

I'd like to see some zone with Murpy, Oturu, and Curry in the game at the same time, with Amir and and anyone else that can hit a thre or get fould3. (IW)
I like the zone option you refer too...Dupree for the 5th...he's long

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jelly's box score doesn't show it, but he played some big minuets

Could you, or someone else, explain what this actually means, and how it is possible?

It doesn't seem like a team can win a basketball game without stats of some kind being compiled. To me, saying "wow they were really good basketball players, they just couldn't score any points, get any assists, get any rebounds, or get any steals" ... just doesn't make sense??

Could you, or someone else, explain what this actually means, and how it is possible?

It doesn't seem like a team can win a basketball game without stats of some kind being compiled. To me, saying "wow they were really good basketball players, they just couldn't score any points, get any assists, get any rebounds, or get any steals" ... just doesn't make sense??
So we get it. You don't like him, are busy refuting the idea he can play on all threads, and you're not capable of seeing the flow of the offense - or lack thereof. If you couldn't see the difference on team play, I can't help you.
Some games have lots of assists, some don't. Murphy was the only player with impressive assists last night - he was amazing. I dont know that Coffey even had a field goal in the second half which gives us an idea of the problems had with penetration - thankfully he was fouled on that 3 pt shot or I think no points in the second half.

"The flow of the offense". This is about the only argument I have seen, constantly thrown out. And when challenged on it, posters typically resort to personal insults and say something like "well you just don't know basketball".

Proven over the years: if a PG is good, he will compile assists. You can't hand waive that away.

Maybe I will be proven wrong over this season. Maybe IW will start getting more assists, and play more minutes. But so far, it has not happened.

PS - I am **NOT** trying to make an argument that Coffey or anyone else is a *better* PG !! Nope. I'm only trying to challenge the idea from the believers that IW is the objectively correct answer at PG. Yes, I realize if it is not him, then someone else has to play it. And if IW is the best we have, so be it. I'm just commenting that so far, in his minutes, the naive stats don't prove that he "creates more offense".

So we get it. You don't like him, are busy refuting the idea he can play on all threads, and you're not capable of seeing the flow of the offense - or lack thereof. If you couldn't see the difference on team play, I can't help you.
Some games have lots of assists, some don't. Murphy was the only player with impressive assists last night - he was amazing. I dont know that Coffey even had a field goal in the second half which gives us an idea of the problems had with penetration - thankfully he was fouled on that 3 pt shot or I think no points in the second half.

No one is more persistent in repeating a point ad nauseum than G4L

I thought Stockman gave us some nice minutes in the non conference against teams like Washington and A&M. At the very least I still think he is better than Konate and Gaston.

"The flow of the offense". This is about the only argument I have seen, constantly thrown out. And when challenged on it, posters typically resort to personal insults and say something like "well you just don't know basketball".

Proven over the years: if a PG is good, he will compile assists. You can't hand waive that away.

Maybe I will be proven wrong over this season. Maybe IW will start getting more assists, and play more minutes. But so far, it has not happened.

PS - I am **NOT** trying to make an argument that Coffey or anyone else is a *better* PG !! Nope. I'm only trying to challenge the idea from the believers that IW is the objectively correct answer at PG. Yes, I realize if it is not him, then someone else has to play it. And if IW is the best we have, so be it. I'm just commenting that so far, in his minutes, the naive stats don't prove that he "creates more offense".
Since you love numbers, lets see if he can set another record this year for assists in a game.

Currently, despite his limited minutes (DNP against Wisconsin, limited vs Maryland):
Assists: 66 (Leads the whole team by +18 over McBrayer)
also:
TO: 23 (Second lowest after Kalcheur)

I’d really like if people stopped calling IW the name Jelly. He is part of Jellyfam. His name within that group is Dimes. Jelly is a move. You don’t call any other player by their moves. Imagine calling Hurt “Pass up open shots”

He is jelly now I guess.

Because everyone maybe thought that was his own nickname and it has stuck here

Since you love numbers, lets see if he can set another record this year for assists in a game.

Currently, despite his limited minutes (DNP against Wisconsin, limited vs Maryland):
Assists: 66 (Leads the whole team by +18 over McBrayer)
also:
TO: 23 (Second lowest after Kalcheur)

(As I replied in the "IW" thread)

These stats also include lower level opponents. So this point only works for me if it stays true vs just high major opponents.

Like I said in the post you replied to .... I'm not out to disprove that IW is the best PG we have. Only wanted to challenge the idea that he is the objective correct answer at PG for this team, based on what has happened so far in his minutes vs high major opponents.

Top Bottom