***OFFICIAL PENN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Random thoughts after watching that mess last night in person:
We seem to have absolutely no purpose on offense - what are we trying to accomplish?
One guy dribbles, four guys stand around. Jack up a prayer as the shot clock expires.
Murphy spends way too much time outside of his scoring range, beyond 15 feet.
Not only do we not know how to attack zones, we can't handle any kind of pressure because of our guard play.
When a post player has position, we don't feed them the ball. If Murphy or Curry have position, give them the damn ball -- EVERY TIME! And then they need to make decisive moves to the basket.
We have two left-handers who cannot go to their right and create a shot. Smart defenses know this.
Passers don't seem to recognize when teammates are open, late getting them the ball.
Cutters run through the offensive zone not looking for the ball, even when they may be open.
We don't screen any defenders, we walk by and wave at them; therefore, no one gets open.
How can it seem like all five guys on offense are confused so often?
Need much more consistency in production and intensity on both ends of the court from our veteran leaders, they need to carry this team -- every night. We can't afford to have them disappear, even for a half.

I love Murphy, but he is one of the reasons the offense looks so weird at times. When he gets the ball he usually gets it on the perimeter (as you noted) and everything stops. He starts to maneuver and the opposing defense usually sags three players into the lane which also jams up Oturu's space. They can do that because they don't respect Murphy's jumper. Murphy meanwhile, goes bull in a china shop mode into the lane and into the three guys- all taller than him. Passing the ball out of the mass is not his thing. He is going in to get up a shot and then chase the rebound. I think this repeated process stops the players from moving in the offense and they become spectators when Murphy has the ball.

Random thoughts after watching that mess last night in person:
We seem to have absolutely no purpose on offense - what are we trying to accomplish?
One guy dribbles, four guys stand around. Jack up a prayer as the shot clock expires.
Murphy spends way too much time outside of his scoring range, beyond 15 feet.
Not only do we not know how to attack zones, we can't handle any kind of pressure because of our guard play.
When a post player has position, we don't feed them the ball. If Murphy or Curry have position, give them the damn ball -- EVERY TIME! And then they need to make decisive moves to the basket.
We have two left-handers who cannot go to their right and create a shot. Smart defenses know this.
Passers don't seem to recognize when teammates are open, late getting them the ball.
Cutters run through the offensive zone not looking for the ball, even when they may be open.
We don't screen any defenders, we walk by and wave at them; therefore, no one gets open.
How can it seem like all five guys on offense are confused so often?
Need much more consistency in production and intensity on both ends of the court from our veteran leaders, they need to carry this team -- every night. We can't afford to have them disappear, even for a half.
I recall Tubby running the Swing offense for short periods simply because the kids struggled to make good reads in a motion offense and ended up standing around like deer in the head lights. Last night, I got the distinct impression that this team has similar struggles. There was one possession last night where three of our guys ran to the same spot on the floor and completely mucked up the spacing and ball movement. We ended up heaving a prayer toward the basket.
I'm starting to wonder if Richard needs to simplify things to get his kids to make good back cuts and have better spacing. It looks like the kids just struggle to know what or where they should go on offense.

I recall Tubby running the Swing offense for short periods simply because the kids struggled to make good reads in a motion offense and ended up standing around like deer in the head lights. Last night, I got the distinct impression that this team has similar struggles. There was one possession last night where three of our guys ran to the same spot on the floor and completely mucked up the spacing and ball movement. We ended up heaving a prayer toward the basket.
I'm starting to wonder if Richard needs to simplify things to get his kids to make good back cuts and have better spacing. It looks like the kids just struggle to know what or where they should go on offense.

I think it was the flex offense.

Gabe is 44% from the 3 vs big ten teams...pitino calling this a great win is more evidence he needs to be replaced

Must have been your first time listening to a coach after a game. What’s he going to say?

“This was a bad win for us. Penn St is terrible. I don’t think our players should get any credit for the win. In fact, I think this should still count as a loss even though we won.”

At this point in the program any conference win is a great win. They all count the same and this regime has struggled getting them. Now beat Michigan.

At this point in the program any conference win is a great win. They all count the same and this regime has struggled getting them. Now beat Michigan.

Any win in the big ten is a good win. A win is a win. This team is in a no win situation. They win and everyone screams it wasnt by enough. They lose and we have the worst coach on the planet. Let the season play out! Who knows we might surprise some people.

Top Bottom