Can Gophs recruiting stay in top 40? Iowa moving past Gophers...Indiana next?

Swingman a troll? Give me a break.
Someone isn’t a troll just because you disagree with them or don’t like what they post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love a great conversation about the Gophers and college football. It’s why i visit this board. What do you think the message and intent is with every one of swingmans posts?

I love a great conversation about the Gophers and college football. It’s why i visit this board. What do you think the message and intent is with every one of swingmans posts?

A quick glance at the top threads now shows him starting 5 of them........ 2 about local kids getting CFB offers, one about Penn State losing a bunch of players early, one about Fresno State losing their OC, and this one about a topic this board holds ever so close to its heart and how our division rivals are passing us in those precious rankings.

Clearly his intent is PJ bashing, am I right? He must love Claeys. I mean, Fresno never lost an OC when TC was our coach.

No idea what’s happening in this thread. But if none of the players that signed have changed, then it really doesn’t matter if the class rank changed...because the class is the same

I don't care if this class ends up being #39, or 42 or 43 or whatever. It seems to be a nice class. I'm more interested in seeing if PJ can continue to recruit well when he doesn't have playing time to offer. If he has another nice class, which I expect him to have, we should see within a year or two if he can continue to do that. By that point, I'm hoping the Gophers will be turning in some good seasons, and will have some sustainable success to pitch to recruits, which I think would trump playing time to recruits.

A quick glance at the top threads now shows him starting 5 of them........ 2 about local kids getting CFB offers, one about Penn State losing a bunch of players early, one about Fresno State losing their OC, and this one about a topic this board holds ever so close to its heart and how our division rivals are passing us in those precious rankings.

Clearly his intent is PJ bashing, am I right? He must love Claeys. I mean, Fresno never lost an OC when TC was our coach.

:clap:

Swingman a troll? Give me a break.
Someone isn’t a troll just because you disagree with them or don’t like what they post.

i don't know if swingman is a troll or not.

but i can saw from my decades of internet scholarship that there are two kinds of trolls. the first, and weakest, is the one who flames with 30 posts per thread. the second, more effective troll, is the one who starts a thread that incites an argument and then never comes back.

I don't care if this class ends up being #39, or 42 or 43 or whatever. It seems to be a nice class. I'm more interested in seeing if PJ can continue to recruit well when he doesn't have playing time to offer. If he has another nice class, which I expect him to have, we should see within a year or two if he can continue to do that. By that point, I'm hoping the Gophers will be turning in some good seasons, and will have some sustainable success to pitch to recruits, which I think would trump playing time to recruits.

I think the rankings come up a lot because Coyle brought up recruiting rankings a lot when he talked about hiring PJ. Coyle said "recruiting is the key to the program". He also uses the rankings when trying to sell Gopher football to people.

When they bring up the rankings that much as something that is important, then it's probably fair to look at where rankings are at. We are currently 9th in the Big Ten on 24/7, 39th overall. 12th if you go by average recruiting ranking.

On paper recruiting has improved over the last regime, but maybe not to the level we thought it would. Maybe it doesn't matter though if we get the "right" guys.

Haven't we always talked about our recruiting rankings? I don't think that's anything new with PJ/Coyle.

Last edited:

but i can saw from my decades of internet scholarship that there are two kinds of trolls. the first, and weakest, is the one who flames with 30 posts per thread. the second, more effective troll, is the one who starts a thread that incites an argument and then never comes back.

Let's say that the second, more effective method is the Gopherhole version of "crop dusting"....

Also the troll who removed the heating coils from the field....

Also the troll who removed the heating coils from the field....

Did they really remove them? Why would they do that? What happens days down the road where there is potential really cod weather that hardens the playing field like cement?

The only thimg that I can think of hwy is the maintenance cost.

Last edited:

Did they really remove them? Why would they do that? What happens days down the road where there is potential really cod weather that hardens the playing field like cement?

A discussion worth its own thread...or two...or three...

Think he was joking.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Sort of reveals who is the one with an agenda, don't you think?

Agree. The reaction is bizarre, but not unexpected. Any classes sub 45 is above my expectations, so the hypersensitivity from the Flecksters around this is pretty funny.

A troll is anyone who doesn't agree with my opinion. It is pretty simple really.

Hasn't happened yet, but how can PJ and our brand new facilities possibly get outrecruited (on paper) by Purdue AND Indiana?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

For one thing, geography favors Purdue and Indiana. They are closer to recruiting hotbeds in Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, and SEC country than the Gophers. Some kids kids simply want to be closer to home.

Still, PJ's recruiting is commendable. He is rebuilding all facets of Gopher football. See MVGUY's thread, "Are We Witnessing the Birth of a Championship Offense?" I think the lines of quality of recruiting class in the middling section (30's to 40's) are murky. Some kids are bound to be rated three stars when they are really four stars and vice versa. The important thing is to get at least a couple of game changing player in each class (like Dunlap & Faalele). The day will come when the team starts winning and the recruiting rankings will go up into the low thirties and possibly the twenties.

However, it is still formidable to recruit to Minnesota. If there is one person who can do it, it will be PJ FLeck.

Usual gang coming to the defense of this played out tired old bit.

Last edited:

Usual gang coming to the defense of this played out tired old bit.

Aren't you campaigning to get Pitino fired? Yet someone brings up football recruiting rankings and it's a "bit" and they are a troll?

Aren't you campaigning to get Pitino fired? Yet someone brings up football recruiting rankings and it's a "bit" and they are a troll?

Nope - not campaigning to get Pitino fired and didn’t call anyone a troll.

Our name is the Coalition of Logic. Please remember for future reference.

That’s funny but logic certainly isn’t your groups strong suit.

Especially when one of your head members is known for their amazing ability to be incorrect 100% of the time.

Especially when one of your head members is known for their amazing ability to be incorrect 100% of the time.

I'll bet your wit and sense of humor just kills at dinner parties.

Wouldn’t someone being wrong 100% of the time be equally valuable as someone being right 100% of the time? Certainty is rare - admire it. Now being right 50% of the time creates issues.

I can’t remember where, but I know I read the coils were removed. Something about maintenance costs.

I can’t remember where, but I know I read the coils were removed. Something about maintenance costs.

Or even just operating costs.

I buy it. They weren't installed when the U built the stadium ... none of it was built with football after November temps in mind. The U never wanted to pay for the costs of having heating coils in the field. They did it so long as the Vikings paid for them. Now they no longer are.

Agree. The reaction is bizarre, but not unexpected. Any classes sub 45 is above my expectations, so the hypersensitivity from the Flecksters around this is pretty funny.

Not unexpected is right. Understanding it is pretty easy when you follow the steady decline in expectations for this precious ranking over the past 2 years on here. Let’s say from unrealistic to a general understanding that there is more to it than a simple ranking. The first clue should have been when 247 released a whole new system to try and edit out the biggest holes in the whole ranking process, but even Coyle missed that one.

My personal opinion is that a lot of the rating and ranking process is subjective, or at least more subjective than some people think.

What matters in the end is how well the recruits play when given a chance. Of course coaching plays into the mix - a lower-rated recruit who receives good coaching can out-perform a higher-rated recruit who does not receive the same level of coaching. and, kids mature at different rates. one kid may be more physically ready, and just look better at age 18. another kid may not 'peak' until he's 19 or 20, but that kid could wind up having a higher ceiling.

yes, there is a general correlation between recruiting and success. better players will generally lead to better results, all other aspects being equal, including coaching. but IMHO, once you get outside the top 15 or 20 in the team ratings, I think that coaching becomes a much bigger variable than the recruiting rankings.

The agenda for those who haven't followed it...

1. The Gophers are loaded with talent and experience - translation: PJ is lying about how young we are and we should be winning a ton of games.
2. Team X that is on our schedule lost... (# of players due to injuries, transfers, coaches, etc) - translation: we should be able to beat Fresno because they lost their OC, or Penn St. due to guys leaving.
3. Recruiting rankings are falling - translation: PJ isn't recruiting at the level he should be.
4. Evan Hull, or Kyle Dickson was offered by Fitz or Rutgers - translation: why is PJ letting MN kids get away.

All topics are open for discussion. It becomes trolling when the agenda is obvious and the intent is to subtly? bash the coach/program with every thread. I can easily be proven wrong on this though - just show me swingman threads that discuss some of the following: (1)the Gophers are young and relatively inexperienced; (2) a thread on how our transfers, injuries or coaches that are leaving might hurt us; (3) a thread showing our recruiting rankings improving; (4) commending the staff for getting commitments from in-state threads.

The agenda for those who haven't followed it...

1. The Gophers are loaded with talent and experience - translation: PJ is lying about how young we are and we should be winning a ton of games.
2. Team X that is on our schedule lost... (# of players due to injuries, transfers, coaches, etc) - translation: we should be able to beat Fresno because they lost their OC, or Penn St. due to guys leaving.
3. Recruiting rankings are falling - translation: PJ isn't recruiting at the level he should be.
4. Evan Hull, or Kyle Dickson was offered by Fitz or Rutgers - translation: why is PJ letting MN kids get away.

All topics are open for discussion. It becomes trolling when the agenda is obvious and the intent is to subtly? bash the coach/program with every thread. I can easily be proven wrong on this though - just show me swingman threads that discuss some of the following: (1)the Gophers are young and relatively inexperienced; (2) a thread on how our transfers, injuries or coaches that are leaving might hurt us; (3) a thread showing our recruiting rankings improving; (4) commending the staff for getting commitments from in-state threads.

Certainly not an agenda at all in this post of your's. zero. zilch. zip. nada.

Top Bottom