Can Gophs recruiting stay in top 40? Iowa moving past Gophers...Indiana next?

Swingman’s bit is still ongoing? Thought this bit ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why the troll comments are coming at Swingman...was anything made up or negative? Its a legitimate question - based on current commits, available scholarships and our competitors commits and potential signings where will the team end up after NSD II. Seems like the overly sensitive want to read nothing except Pravda-style propaganda and purge the rest. It’s also notable NW has done well with less than stellar recruits. Iowa and Wisconsin have done nice things as well. Win more and the recruits will follow.

Looking at their commitment list, it appears Iowa passed us due to some ratings bumps from signed recruits and not actually adding anyone new. Compare the classes and I'd prefer the Gophers. Iowa has some recruits that have strangely high composite scores given their offers. For example Daraun McKinney is a .8577 and has only one other power 5 offer coming from Indiana (Cincy his next best offer) Chris Reames is a .8538 with no other power 5 offers and only having D-1 offers from Army and Eastern Michigan. Jake Karchinski is a .8505 with only Syracuse as another power 5 offer.

For the Gophers Cam Wiley is a .8473 with offers from Arizona, BYU, Oregon, and TCU Solomon Brown is an .8485 with offers from Boston College, Iowa, and Iowa State Kelvin Clemmons is an .8417 with offers from Kentucky and Maryland

Iowa has done a fantastic job of developing players in the Ferentz era and there is a very good chance they've found some diamonds in the rough and/or will simply develop there guys better than Minnesota (or another school would). That said in general I'd imagine the kids with multiple power 5 offers are better prospects.

If you remove the LS and K the average rating per player is higher than Iowa's and close to Purdue's I believe.

Well, I think we all know what PJ has to do then.

Honestly, who cares? The difference between 28 and 43 is negligible at best. Are we getting more promising players than we were 3, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20 years ago? Do we have a coach and a staff that we have confidence in? That's all that matters, not what some geek decides what the difference is between a high 3 star and mid 3 star.

I can’t like this post enough.

Agree but an offer from a high profile program is not ignored and may force “the evaluators” to look at more tape and reasess.

Edit this was a reply to dpoll’s post.

Not sure why the troll comments are coming at Swingman...was anything made up or negative? Its a legitimate question - based on current commits, available scholarships and our competitors commits and potential signings where will the team end up after NSD II. Seems like the overly sensitive want to read nothing except Pravda-style propaganda and purge the rest. It’s also notable NW has done well with less than stellar recruits. Iowa and Wisconsin have done nice things as well. Win more and the recruits will follow.

Agree. The reaction is bizarre, but not unexpected. Any classes sub 45 is above my expectations, so the hypersensitivity from the Flecksters around this is pretty funny.

Agree. The reaction is bizarre, but not unexpected. Any classes sub 45 is above my expectations, so the hypersensitivity from the Flecksters around this is pretty funny.

Maybe because "support" of a program is support. Using the term "Flecksters" shows you will support the program 100% only if things fit in your tiny paradigm. I just love Gopher football and support it at every turn. It's been in my family since 1924. Its hard sometimes. But its love.

Why?

Because I love Gopher football. As a lifelong fan. Its in my DNA. I didn't grow up in the "more me now" generation. I still believe in compound interest...

Last edited:

There is a correlation between rankings an offers. Another fine post by dpdoll68. I don't know why I am bothering to respond, but my point was that Minnesota has some kids that have better offers than Iowa kids who had better rankings. It's somewhat unusual to have a better ranking than your offer list suggests you should. I'd personally rather have a Cam Wiley that Oregon and others deemed worthy of a scholarship than a McKinney whose only power 5 offers came from Iowa and Indiana.

If our low 3-stars play like Tanner Morgan did last season, I'm not going to be horribly upset.

OSU had a nice recruiting class a couple years ago led by Tate Martell. They should start reaping the rewards of that next year.

/s

Maybe because "support" of a program is support. Using the term "Flecksters" shows you will support the program 100% only if things fit in your tiny paradigm. I just love Gopher football and support it at every turn. It's been in my family since 1924. Its hard sometimes. But its love.

Why?

Because I love Gopher football. As a lifelong fan. Its in my DNA. I didn't grow up in the "more me now" generation. I still believe in compound interest...

Sounds great and all, but you’re stating you’ve legitimately supported every coach, administrator, student at the University of Minnesota no matter what? Never supported a firing, arrest, departure? There’s the institution and/or the program, and then separately there are the current proprietors and participants. They are not close to the same. You can set your arbitrary line of support at whatever level you wish and other fans can set theirs. It’s a free country.

There is a correlation between rankings an offers.
Well, yes, technically, virtually any two variables are correlated. But there is very little positive correlation - some highly ranked players have a few offers of decent quality, and some lower-ranked players have offers from almost every helmet school. It's all over the board and it happens every year. If they just looked at the offer list to assign ratings, the ratings would be pointless.

It's somewhat unusual to have a better ranking than your offer list suggests you should.

It isn't.

Higher would be nice, but like building the facilities was going to instantly make us Superman...neither would a couple #25 to 35 rated classes versus #40 to 50 classes make us champs either.

I'm fine with our recruiting, except Mark Coyle promised us so much more than 40 something...which has got to be one of the dumbest spoken reasons to announce at a press conference for hiring someone ever. And then we embellish our ranking as something it isn't because the admin said it was important. Just trust your own evaluations and recruit the guys that fit your culture. They may not rate as high with 247 etc because they are looking for different things to evaluate. Who really cares....if it wasn't validated by admin as being important? It's not. How many games do we win...that's why the $3.5 million...not if we have a top 25 class.

Well said

nm

Last edited:

Purely on the facilities front ... both Purdue and Indiana have nice, open air stadiums. And I believe they both have newish practice facilities/football centers. Purdue especially, I believe has a football center that is only a couple years old or less?

Also, their location is simply much closer to a much larger base of population. They're smack dab in the middle of the Great Lakes region. Think about: Milwaukee, Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Louisville, Nashville, Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh .... all fairly reasonable drives.

But there is very little positive correlation - some highly ranked players have a few offers of decent quality, and some lower-ranked players have offers from almost every helmet school.

While I don't disagree with your basic point from previous posts, your statement above is mathematically unsound. To claim "very little positive correlation" you would have to have "most highly ranked players..." rather than "some highly ranked players..."

Sounds great and all, but you’re stating you’ve legitimately supported every coach, administrator, student at the University of Minnesota no matter what? Never supported a firing, arrest, departure? There’s the institution and/or the program, and then separately there are the current proprietors and participants. They are not close to the same. You can set your arbitrary line of support at whatever level you wish and other fans can set theirs. It’s a free country.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Same BS, different day.

Swingman a troll? Give me a break.
Someone isn’t a troll just because you disagree with them or don’t like what they post.

Top Bottom